bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Jan 2011, 11:26   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
IBM and GlobalFoundries go Gate-Last for 20nm

Conceding to the strategies of Intel and TSMC, Global Foundries and IBM go gate-last.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-last-for-20/1
Old 20th Jan 2011, 11:33   #2
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What does this mean in English?
Old 20th Jan 2011, 11:50   #3
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
What does this mean in English?
I've added a couple of paragraphs to the beginning to try to clarify this - gate-last or gate-first basically refers to the point when you put the metal gate onto the production wafer.
Old 20th Jan 2011, 12:02   #4
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Hafnium? Did you just make that word up? is it like unobtainium used in that dances with smurf's filck by James Cameron?
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 12:10   #5
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
Sorry I get ahead of myself sometimes

The 'Gate' is the transistor gates (NFET and PFET iirc). First vs Last means do you do the transistors before other chemical techniques, or after. Gate First is cheaper because it's quicker, but it causes yield and performance issues as the chemicals that get flushed over it on subsequent treatments also errode those nice transistors you've just put down. Gate Last is more costly and difficult as the transistor gate goes down AFTER most/all the treatments, not to mention giving more freedom for the choice of materials used on later PFET (again iirc), which ultimately rewards better yields and performance. For evidence of that look how well Intel's 45nm and 32nm hardware overclocks!

Intel's advantage is that it's costs are lower because it does everything itself, so it can optimise a longer process. However if you're GloFo or TSMC, you have to absorb the cost or your customers product probably becomes less or uncompetitive. It's particularly a problem for AMD, who has to compete with Intel, and usually does so on price.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 12:44   #6
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
Hafnium? Did you just make that word up? is it like unobtainium used in that dances with smurf's filck by James Cameron?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafnium

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 14:50   #7
Kúsař
regular bit-tech reader

Kúsař has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Intel's advantage is that it's costs are lower because it does everything itself, so it can optimise a longer process. However if you're GloFo or TSMC, you have to absorb the cost or your customers product probably becomes less or uncompetitive. It's particularly a problem for AMD, who has to compete with Intel, and usually does so on price.
It might not be such an advantage if you think about it. GloFo is agressively expanding to compete with TSMC as they definitely plan to manufacture more than AMD's CPUs. Once they've got new fabs running their "playground" and cashflow will be definitely bigger than Intel's(speaking about manufacturing), unless Intel open it's fabs for others. nVidia, "ATi" or ARM will definitely try to take advantage of multiple manufacturers and this will in turn drive manufacturing/technology processes forward.
Kúsař is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 15:43   #8
Enzo Matrix
What's a Dremel?

Enzo Matrix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So will AMD's new 32nm products be produced using gate-first or gate-last? This wasn't made clear as the first paragraph indicates they will use the gate-first while the second to last paragraph hints they will use gate-last.
Enzo Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 15:54   #9
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
32nm will be Gate First. 22/20 will be Gate Last
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 16:16   #10
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kúsař View Post
Once they've got new fabs running their "playground" and cashflow will be definitely bigger than Intel's(speaking about manufacturing
Don't underestimate just how big Intel is...
Before GloFo split off, AMD was about 1/10th of Intel...that's a lot of room to pick up.
Quote:
Intel's advantage is that it's costs are lower because it does everything itself, so it can optimise a longer process
That's the downside of the GloFo Spinoff, AMD used to have this as well (though on a much smaller scale. Dresden beeing effectively it's only CPU-plant.
Suppose it still is as far as high-end devices are concerned. Then again, I don't know how deep the AMD/GloFo split really goes. I guess they still optimise everything in Dresden for AMD's process.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2011, 08:16   #11
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafnium
Thanks mate, I was only having a quick stab at humour.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote