bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Jan 2011, 23:31   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Paradox Interactive announces Salem MMO

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...es-salem-mmo/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 23:38   #2
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.DragunovHUN is definitely a rep cheat.
That sounds incredibly interresting, though the inevitable griefiing is going to suck.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 23:43   #3
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
instantly i think "will the resources used be less than resources gained from pilaging my neighbours village"
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2011, 23:51   #4
docodine
killed a guy once

docodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for presidentdocodine should be considered for president
P4R payment model

(pay for resurrection?)
docodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 00:29   #5
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.deathtaker27 is definitely a rep cheat.
sounds very very interesting
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 01:03   #6
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Interesting idea. If it is free to play then I will definitely check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 01:08   #7
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
any permadeath mmo will never have a huge fanbase. Basically people want to play a "game" dick around and occasionally run into the enemy base or take on a boss they know they'll never beat. Permadeath mmo's discourage that because there's a huge time investment that can be lost at any second.

There's always gonna be hardcore people who like the thrill of living on the edge. But there will always be a lot of rage quits, when your client locks up and your toon auto runs into an enemy base, or you lag out and log on dead.

Could still be a good game, but I find permadeath annoying. One of my two biggest dislikes of eve (ship death and only mining as the player run economy activity)
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 01:22   #8
hyperion
Supermodder

hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.hyperion is definitely a rep cheat.

It's probably just as well that they're going f2p.
hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 01:29   #9
Volund
Am I supposed to care?

Volund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run CrysisVolund can run Crysis
The only thing I can think of is how pissed people will be when the inevitable greifing ensues, with people burning down other people's homes, with them inside.... mwaaahaaa

If you believe in GLaDOS and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig
Volund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 02:16   #10
C-Sniper
Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.C-Sniper is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Second though,

I am thinking of just hoarding resources...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz View Post
hmm you seem to know a lot about guys.. I was wondering- if I put a piece of plywood down my pants, would that be enough to protect me from rear attacks.. like in a circus bathroom or high scale restaurant
C-Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 05:37   #11
Hovis
Supermodder

Hovis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
One player who matters, an army of expendable droogs dying by the dozen to gather what they need.

Not saying this isn't a very interesting concept, but I can see it turning into something akin to 28 Days Later as new characters are created merely to murder and swarm the sane.
Hovis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 05:46   #12
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigaitken View Post
instantly i think "will the resources used be less than resources gained from pilaging my neighbours village"
See, my first thought was; 'There's business to be made collecting dead peoples stuff and selling it back to them.'

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 21st Jan 2011, 06:06   #13
Deadpunkdave
...why you need a 20-sided die

Deadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeadpunkdave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If nothing else, this will be great experiment into the nature of trolls hehheh. More seriously, it's popularity will ask and answer some more basic gaming questions: Do we play MMO's for enjoyment or escapism. With perma-death, is the escapism enhanced or reduced? How much do we define our characters by ourselves and ourselves by our characters?

Well, it seems interesting to me anyway, I'm sure someone can drag a thesis out of it
Deadpunkdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 09:19   #14
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
They've got to balance it somehow, otherwise I can create an Idiot with a torch in five minutes, and burn down the house someone else built aver the course of months.
What's my incentive for building a house, or investing playtime at all?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 12:07   #15
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
They've got to balance it somehow, otherwise I can create an Idiot with a torch in five minutes, and burn down the house someone else built aver the course of months.
What's my incentive for building a house, or investing playtime at all?
The same can be true of Minecraft too, but people still play that.

www.joemartinwords.com

Old 21st Jan 2011, 15:07   #16
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
...must have missed that part of minecraft...I was single player and bored out of my wits
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 04:22   #17
Fenrisphantom
What's a Dremel?

Fenrisphantom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For those who have not played HnH (Haven and Hearth) and want a idea of what type of Gameplay will be in store then i suggest you go check it out its free but i warn you if you play games only for graphics then you will bore quickly of it and should just wait for Salem (also no QQ because you got kill by a boar or bear or a random griefer kills you there no support but that of player that like the role of bounty hunts (they call them self rangers in game))

As to the perma death system this is in HnH as well and heres how it worked

In game players had something called a belief slider that effected stats, exp gain, and the such. One of the slider effected two called "Tradition" and "Change". Now there was plus and negatives no matter what slider you moved but this one effected you the most having full "Tradition" meant players one death would get somewhere around 75% of the full stats when they "ancestored" a character that died but it came at a exp while full change add around a 120% bonus to exp gain but if you died you end up with around 25% of your total stats. There was a second effect but that only effected how long before one could move there slider in one tick in a certain direction with tradition upping the time and change lowering it
Fenrisphantom is offline   Reply With Quote