bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Jan 2011, 12:56   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Nvidia Confirms Quad-core Tegra 3 Plans

Nvidia has confirmed its plans to launch a quad-core Tegra 3 chip, expected to début at MWC.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...egra-3-plans/1
Old 21st Jan 2011, 13:03   #2
Mraedis
Multimodder

Mraedis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
And they keep upping the number of cores... Soon laptops and cellphones will be indistinguishable.
Old 21st Jan 2011, 13:20   #3
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
I was sad to see that Tegra 2 didn't really take off the way that it should of. Hope to see more of it but I want to see specs for tegra 3 before I get my hopes up on it.
Old 21st Jan 2011, 14:45   #4
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb2e9
I was sad to see that Tegra 2 didn't really take off the way that it should of. Hope to see more of it but I want to see specs for tegra 3 before I get my hopes up on it.
Tegra 2 has taken a while to get to market, mostly because nvidia was not a proven supplier in this market, so lots of product testing was required before retail products were released, also becuase they ideally wanted android 3 and this was delayed.

There are a large number of big brand names releasing tegra 2 based products into their product ranges (from smartphones to tablets) so I predict that Tegra 2 will be a integral part of the tablet market come Q4 2011 - Andriod 3 should allow this product to do more than is currently available using the older 2.2 platform.

Again the continual growth of multi core (3 or more) hardware now expands in the mobile market. With this hardware becoming mainstream for all platforms - my hope is that more and more developers can embrace this technology and take full advantage of all the cores, from the OS upwards - roll on 64bit only products too (although mainstream 64bit software is just a pipedream for now I feel)

Summary - this is great news and I will watch the progress of the ARM based desktop hardware (and associate software delveopment) with great interest.
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 14:54   #5
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this year is meant to be the year for Tegra 2
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 17:12   #6
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
This is gonna be great for media but Unfortunately I can see adoption being slow for gaming. Developers will take the console approach to development ie. design for the mass market which won't push graphics to the limit. Your gonna need developers with the sight to push their games which could happen, steam to develop another cross platform flavour or Nvidia to stretch the way its meant to be played to the ultra portable market. I'm still waiting for the day gaming arrives on the ultra portable and doesn't feel like 10years ago unless its deus ex.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 18:01   #7
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
... the company is being hazy on a firm release schedule.

We can speculate, however.
This reminded me of that Armstrong and Miller royal correspondent sketch..

'We can of course speculate. It may be that Nvidia are including one of their new GF110-based GPUs, but they could also use the GF104 or the GF100 or even some of the older G80-based architecture that we all knew and loved for many, many years. It's quite likely they could be releasing this new product by the end of the year in October, November, December or maybe even earlier in August or September. It could also be that they delay the release until 2012 and instead release it in January, February, March, April, May, June or even the month in which the olympic games will start, that is, July.'
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 12:28   #8
Turbotab
I don't touch type, I tard type

Turbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the DremelTurbotab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Where does it state on the Hexus article that Tegra will be quad-core??? The best I could find was this....

"So from that, we'd be very surprised if NVIDIA doesn't launch Tegra 3 at Mobile World Congress next month. Unfortunately we couldn't get any other gory details such as CPU cores (four, hopefully) and manufacturing process (28nm, we expect), but we expect to have them within a month."

Given that Nvidia aren't scheduled to launch a 28nm GPU until Autumn, I can’t see how they would squeeze in 4 cores using 40nm Fabs, and achieve good power consumption, this means that we probably won’t see quad-cores until early 2012.

Add to the mix the issues Nvidia had with their 40nm process and Fermi, and considering how sensitive phone manufactures are to power consumption, it would be silly for them to rush Tegra 3, only for power and yield issues to scare off potential buyers.

It looks like the CPU arms race will bring too much power to smartphones by 2012!!. Once a device has a dual-core 1.5+ GHz chip, that runs 1080P flash smoothly it will be powerful enough for 99.9 % of the public, just like a Q6600 still seems fast to most people. At this rate people will be able to fold on their phone's GPU at PS3 levels before long
Turbotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 21:03   #9
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It'll be interesting to see how Nvidia deal with the issue of battery life.
It'll take some good power management to stop these chips sucking the life out of batteries. That's an issue smartphones already have, the fact they need charging every day.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2011, 23:36   #10
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Perhaps this is the reason for Tegra 3 to be held close to their chests. Wait to see if Tegra 2 takes off wildly, then everyone gets hooked on these insane products that can play modest games and provide amazing hd video playback on something so small. Then Bam! If things couldnt get any better, they launch Tegra 3 at the end of the year to boost the market into its full potential. I mean seriously. If we dont know the potential for Tegra2 and it proves succesful and amazing, imagine what the Tegra 3 line will produce. Perhaps like the new nintendo 3ds, we could see Tegra 3 provide the capabilites for 3D tablets and 3D phones?
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote