bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Jan 2011, 18:30   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Bethesda: Rage demo is unlikely

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-is-unlikely/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 18:38   #2
dangerman1337
Supermodder

dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Not surprised, the game barely fits on two DVDs as mentioned by ID before IIRC, a download (for the demo) would probably be at least 7GB if they are lucky.
dangerman1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 18:45   #3
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My cynic sense is tingling, could it be because the games rubbish?
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 19:33   #4
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Tester run of the new engine for doom4 or possibly the next elder scrolls game? Demos are a dying breed
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jan 2011, 22:05   #5
Penfolduk01
What's a Dremel?

Penfolduk01 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I must admit, hearing there won't be a demo does get the alarm bells ringing.
Penfolduk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 01:17   #6
dangerman1337
Supermodder

dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.dangerman1337 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman View Post
possibly the next elder scrolls game?
Skyrim will run on the Creation Engine which is unrelated.
dangerman1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 01:52   #7
zef
What's a Dremel?

zef has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I refuse to believe that something that id software has been working on for so long will be anything but awesome. Let us hope.
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 11:48   #8
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
morale Question

does this justify piracy before spending 30-40?
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 12:37   #9
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
morale Question

does this justify piracy before spending 30-40?
It doesn't justify piracy but it sure does promote it.

Technical reasons is just a load of balls, I don't care about the file size and anything else has to be just an excuse not to bother. It's always a tactic to get the eager early buyers who might not go on to purchase if they had the opportunity to take the game for a test drive first
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 17:47   #10
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
This is pretty reasonable. Offering up a demo that's half the size of a regular game download just seems prohibitive to be honest, and might even be impossible given Microsoft's restrictions on the Xbox side of things. Sure, you could release a 10 GB demo... but would many people really bother downloading it, and would it actually lead to more sales?

Of course, this also means I have another reason to want to gut Pete Hines' arrogant piggy face with a rusty doorstop, but I realise he's not really to blame for this sort of thing.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2011, 18:16   #11
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
no demoes and not second-hand market is where the industry wants to be. Buy blind and be stuck with it.

No thanks - yet another gsme I wont be playing
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 03:13   #12
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
I guess I'll just pirate it to see if it's worth buying.

Even worse are the games that allow you access to the beta when you preorder.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 11:46   #13
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Given it's supposed to be a barrierless open world with multiple different gameplay types, they'd either have to provide essentially the entire game in the demo, which is unrealistic, or create new cut down content specifically for the demo, which wouldn't be representative of the full game. Neither would be right, so whilst it sucks, I can appreciate the reasons.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 20:46   #14
sausages
Banned

sausages has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^ Yea
sausages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jan 2011, 23:28   #15
themax
Ultramodder

themax has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
Given it's supposed to be a barrierless open world with multiple different gameplay types, they'd either have to provide essentially the entire game in the demo, which is unrealistic, or create new cut down content specifically for the demo, which wouldn't be representative of the full game. Neither would be right, so whilst it sucks, I can appreciate the reasons.
True, but while they "technicially" can't give their consumers a demo, I am sure Kotaku, EMG, Edge, and any other publication will give us plenty of coverage of their time spent playing various builds of the game right up until release.
CoD4 Class "Ghost" - MP5 Silenced/ UAV Jammer/ Silent Step
Shhh be very very qwuiet....I'm hunting snipers....
themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2011, 00:18   #16
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I think at the very least it'll be a good game (I'm biased though, I'm an id fanboy) but id have never really put a foot horribly wrong. Sure it'll be good
Old 24th Jan 2011, 11:14   #17
proxess
Hypermodder

proxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for presidentproxess should be considered for president
The way things should work:
-Demos should still exist.
-If you have the demo, patching the full game over it should be a possibility, so installing doesn't take too long.

The way things work:
-There are no demos, so you pirate the game.
-You play it until the end, so in the end you don't buy it, unless you really REALLY love it.
Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448
proxess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2011, 13:50   #18
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
Just watched the trailer for this and kept thinking Borderlands.
kosch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jan 2011, 15:26   #19
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
Why can't they do what the developers of Just Cause 2 did and release a small portion of the game as a demo?

I don't like buying games on the merit of reviews alone (*cough" Far Cry 2 *cough*) so a demo is usually a great example of whether I would like the game or not.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote