bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Jan 2011, 12:43   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
DFG-FET Tech Promises to Replace RAM, Flash

Scientists unveil a building block for 'universal memory' - DFG-FETs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-memory-tech/1
Old 25th Jan 2011, 13:07   #2
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
damm you gareth beat me to it plus i linked to a rubbish bbc article
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:09   #3
Mraedis
Multimodder

Mraedis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yay, working sleep modes!
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:13   #4
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
wow! That is wonderful ultrafast ramdisk with power off storage.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 16:38   #5
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
i'd much rather just get a ram drive with a reliable battery that recharges as long as theres power running through the computer. ram doesn't need a lot of charge to keep it's contents intact, but its a hell of a lot faster.
Old 26th Jan 2011, 03:43   #6
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
i'd much rather just get a ram drive with a reliable battery that recharges as long as theres power running through the computer. ram doesn't need a lot of charge to keep it's contents intact, but its a hell of a lot faster.
This would be just as fast as ram, but maintain a static state when power is lost.

Could be a pain in the ass for a few things though. Like if windows locks up hard, or there's some malicious code in there? Imagine that, getting a virus from installing new ram.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2011, 05:36   #7
Cthippo
Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Cthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming SaiyanCthippo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulatin View Post
This would be just as fast as ram, but maintain a static state when power is lost.

Could be a pain in the ass for a few things though. Like if windows locks up hard, or there's some malicious code in there? Imagine that, getting a virus from installing new ram.
You would probably want to continue to keep memory and storage separate so you can dump the memory if need be.

Why is volatile inherently faster than non-volatile?
Old 26th Jan 2011, 11:14   #8
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
progress is all well and good but how long till you can buy 200gb of it for 200
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2011, 13:02   #9
GW42
Minimodder

GW42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigaitken View Post
progress is all well and good but how long till you can buy 200gb of it for 200
I'll go out on a limb here: it's probably best not to delay that new sandybridge build hoping this will be available by March...
GW42 is offline   Reply With Quote