bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Jan 2011, 14:56   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Does Flash Really Sap Your iPhone Battery?

Famously, you can do almost anything on an iPhone apart from run Adobe Flash; a move that Apple has always defended on the grounds that Flash isn’t finger-friendly and that it drains the battery life too much.

According to IT Pro, this firmly held line has led to ‘one of the most bitter and unresolved disputes in the technology industry.’ What's more, the site has also undertaken some testing to discover the truth about the iPhone Flash video and battery life debate...

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2011/01...phone-battery/
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:00   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I think users should still have the choice.
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:05   #3
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
VLC on iPhone isn't the best implementation. when using it, it makes my iphone feel warm. whereas watching encoded-for-iOS videos is perfectly fine.

what i suspect is happening is that VLC is using inefficient CPU to decode while we all know GPU decode is far more efficient in terms of speed and power consumption.

only real conclusion i think we can draw from this is that on from results on Galaxy Tab:
FLV 6h30m
H264 6h58m
H264 is easier on battery life, by a tiny little bit.
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:06   #4
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
What Apple is doing is more or less like Microsoft from prohibiting OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice from running on Windows because they claim its minor incompatibilities might "damage the user experience"... it's an obvious and utterly absurd excuse to try to justify what is clearly an anti-competitive practice. My guess is Apple were upset that Adobe wouldn't give them further concessions (and possibly even refused a takeover) and so are trying their best to simply beat them down using underhanded and petty tactics.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:07   #5
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Flash is about more than just videos though.
Main: Silverstone FT03 | Asus P8P67-M Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.6Ghz | CM 212+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon 7970 DD | 500GB Samsung 840 Evo | CM Silent Pro Gold 600W | Samsung XL2270HD | KBT Race (brown switches) | Sidewinder X8 | Arch Linux + Windows 8.1
Server: Asus M3N78-AM | Athlon II X3 400e | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 4x 2TB Samsung F4EG (RAID-5) | LSI MegaRAID 8708EM2 | Corsair CX400 | Arch Linux
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:09   #6
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think this is a badly executed article. As they have shown, there isn't much difference between flv and h.264 in when played in the same player. They have completely missed the point that the problem with flash video is the player rather than the compression format. Watching flash video in an embedded player in a webpage makes my MacBook Pro get hot, playing the same file in FLV is much faster, smoother and less power hungry.

Bad journalism.
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:37   #7
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
@sear Remember Hanlon's razor
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
Or in this case, Apple are determined to sell to part of the market who can't be bothered to learn how do use a computer. Instead Apple sell them a dumbed down/easy to use phone.
You could even argue that it's a pro-competition move because their competitors can just point at their devices and say "unlike the iphone, it runs Flash".

I don't care, I've still got months of a bottom of the range nokia before I can upgrade, and when I do, it won't be an iphone even if I could afford it.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 15:40   #8
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I always thought this was more over the fact that Adobe changed their primary OS design to windows rather than Mac? Although the battery life thing always seemed like it was hiding the real story.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 16:16   #9
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
its about choice
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 16:44   #10
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear
What Apple is doing is more or less like Microsoft from prohibiting OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice from running on Windows because they claim its minor incompatibilities might "damage the user experience"... .
openoffice runs on windows without any problems...
it does on my windows 7 computer at least
Old 25th Jan 2011, 17:02   #11
feathers
Banned

feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.feathers is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Considering FLASH player crashes on a daily basis on each of my browsers (CHROME & Firefox), I hope apple keep Flash away from their products.
feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 17:10   #12
BlackRaven
Freaking printers!

BlackRaven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If it is a 30 minute difference then it is not really that much. You would not be watching 6 hours of video on the thing anyway.
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 17:48   #13
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I've been flashing for years and never once felt like a sap.... Being a professional flasher isn't easy, I was thinking of retiring but thought I'd stick it out a while longer.
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 17:57   #14
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
Considering FLASH player crashes on a daily basis on each of my browsers (CHROME & Firefox), I hope apple keep Flash away from their products.
You must be going to the wrong websites...

I don't have an iPhone so I don't have a clue, but does the VLC app not play H.264 as well as flv? Surely that is the only fair comparison to be made. All we learn here is that first-party programs are more efficient (shock horror!).
Old 25th Jan 2011, 18:14   #15
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear
What Apple is doing is more or less like Microsoft from prohibiting OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice from running on Windows because they claim its minor incompatibilities might "damage the user experience"... .
Same here, I got a win7 64-bit PC and the current version of open office and i've never had any problems getting it to run. It's quite smooth actually!
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 18:23   #16
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eiffie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
What Apple is doing is more or less like Microsoft from prohibiting OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice from running on Windows because they claim its minor incompatibilities might "damage the user experience"...
Same here, I got a win7 64-bit PC and the current version of open office and i've never had any problems getting it to run. It's quite smooth actually!
You're misunderstanding sear's point - what he's saying is that Apple banning Flash is similar to if Microsoft were to ban OpenOffice from running on Windows - not that they have banned it.

It's curious that Apple have gone from bemoaning Microsoft's anti-competitive practices to doing the same thing that they accused MS of doing...it's amazing what being a market leader does to your business practices
Old 25th Jan 2011, 22:11   #17
OleJ
Me!

OleJ has yet to learn the way of the DremelOleJ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
...it's amazing what being a market leader does to your business practices
Or rather: It's curious what being a market leader does to public perception of said practices.

You can fully decode H264 via HW without overhead which (kind of) equals better battery life and performance. I gather that if Adobe had been out a lot earlier with built-in support for 90% of the HW-decode chips out there it would have been an entirely different game.
Adobe have been incredibly late in the game wrt GPU video acceleration. As far as flash being able to take advantage of decoding HW / HW acceleration...? Has anyone even heard of this?
Old 25th Jan 2011, 22:44   #18
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
It's about choice, but also about attribution. If something crashes or glitches on our system we won't rest until we identify the culprit, analyse the fault and resolve it. If it happens to a muggle they blame the obvious, usual suspect: it is either a virus or Windows (or the iPhone).

It is never that dodgy piece of pr0n they downloaded, or that wonky program they installed by curious coincidence just before the fault occured, or (like happened with someone I know) the fact that you cannot continue using the Internet when you've just unplugged your WiFi router to free up a socket for an iron. So rather than getting undeserved bad press, those who cater to muggles try and make their stuff idiot-proof.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 22:48   #19
stuartwood89
Please... Just call me Stu.

stuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitstuartwood89 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I gathered that Apple has abandoned Flash because it was old (or at least ageing) tech. It would make sense for Adobe to up their game a bit so that their software is more efficient and user friendly.

Project - Storm Scout Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Propane View Post
I thought Dragonforce were like a joke/troll rock band? Ya'know, like Nickelback?
stuartwood89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2011, 23:50   #20
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Huh? I don't know how people can be so stupid as to fall for Apples BS PR. There is one reason and one reason alone why flash is not on the iPhone; the app store.

Having flash support would kill off apples #1 source of revenue, most of the apps on the App store are just iPhone versions of free flash apps / games that have been around for years.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote