1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Toshiba Chooses GlobalFoundries for Fabrication

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

i'm sure global foundries is still 50% owned by amd, so good if they making money, but i'd have thought, amd cpu's would be the most valuable thing you could make with such capacity

3. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

It'd be nice to have GF grow into a real competitor to TSMC.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

but didn't amd recently just ditch globalfoundaries? i'm not sure who or what they turned to but i thought i remembered hearing that they're not using GF anymore.

5. nhojnomis

nhojnomis What's a Dremel?

I think the rumours were out last year that AMD were switching to TSMC, but for Fusion CPUs only. As I understood it they are still using GF for their other chips

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i feel like it'd be a smart move for amd to use tsmc for their GPUs (but in that case it'd be pretty funny how tsmc is manufacturing chips from the 2 largest competitors in the world) but i'm glad they are still using GF

7. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

I don't think AMD own 50% of Gfo, as i think i read somewhere that ATIC had changed how much they gave to AMD to something like 35%, if you look i'm sure it is out there somewhere. Its to do with how much the fabs were "worth" and the stake in Gfo. I might be wrong though...

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Given teh issues TSCM have had with their 40nm chips (extra voltage/heat etc) I'm surprised Global Foundaries aren't doing even better. I'd have expected even more companies to use them.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

You'll have to differenciate GloFo into formaer AMD CPU production (Dresden) and former Chartered (Singapore). There are huge differences in technologies between these. Before beeing bought up, chartered was not able to produce CPU's according to AMD's standard.
    GloFo Singapore (Chartered) has a lot of capabilities in larger structures, which would probably suffice for the Toshiba demands.
    So GloFo producing for Toshiba wouldn't necessarily block any capacity for AMD, as the devices could be produced in different fabs.
    I don't think GloFo Dresden is capable of making GPU's (ATI).
    Though I suppose they'll be the ones making the fusion parts (But I don't know)

Tags: Add Tags