bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Jan 2011, 13:13   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Toshiba Chooses GlobalFoundries for Fabrication

Toshiba is reportedly close to signing a deal with GlobalFoundries to fabricate its semiconductors.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...oundries-fab/1
Old 26th Jan 2011, 13:31   #2
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i'm sure global foundries is still 50% owned by amd, so good if they making money, but i'd have thought, amd cpu's would be the most valuable thing you could make with such capacity
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2011, 13:49   #3
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
It'd be nice to have GF grow into a real competitor to TSMC.
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2011, 18:17   #4
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigaitken
i'm sure global foundries is still 50% owned by amd, so good if they making money, but i'd have thought, amd cpu's would be the most valuable thing you could make with such capacity
but didn't amd recently just ditch globalfoundaries? i'm not sure who or what they turned to but i thought i remembered hearing that they're not using GF anymore.
Old 26th Jan 2011, 19:49   #5
nhojnomis
Minimodder

nhojnomis has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnhojnomis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
Quote:
but didn't amd recently just ditch globalfoundaries? i'm not sure who or what they turned to but i thought i remembered hearing that they're not using GF anymore.
I think the rumours were out last year that AMD were switching to TSMC, but for Fusion CPUs only. As I understood it they are still using GF for their other chips
nhojnomis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2011, 20:20   #6
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhojnomis
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
Quote:
I think the rumours were out last year that AMD were switching to TSMC, but for Fusion CPUs only. As I understood it they are still using GF for their other chips
i feel like it'd be a smart move for amd to use tsmc for their GPUs (but in that case it'd be pretty funny how tsmc is manufacturing chips from the 2 largest competitors in the world) but i'm glad they are still using GF
Old 26th Jan 2011, 21:00   #7
warejon9
Multimodder

warejon9 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't think AMD own 50% of Gfo, as i think i read somewhere that ATIC had changed how much they gave to AMD to something like 35%, if you look i'm sure it is out there somewhere. Its to do with how much the fabs were "worth" and the stake in Gfo. I might be wrong though...
warejon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2011, 01:00   #8
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Given teh issues TSCM have had with their 40nm chips (extra voltage/heat etc) I'm surprised Global Foundaries aren't doing even better. I'd have expected even more companies to use them.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2011, 10:25   #9
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
You'll have to differenciate GloFo into formaer AMD CPU production (Dresden) and former Chartered (Singapore). There are huge differences in technologies between these. Before beeing bought up, chartered was not able to produce CPU's according to AMD's standard.
GloFo Singapore (Chartered) has a lot of capabilities in larger structures, which would probably suffice for the Toshiba demands.
So GloFo producing for Toshiba wouldn't necessarily block any capacity for AMD, as the devices could be produced in different fabs.
I don't think GloFo Dresden is capable of making GPU's (ATI).
Though I suppose they'll be the ones making the fusion parts (But I don't know)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote