bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Feb 2011, 08:59   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Dead Space 2 Review

Isaac Clarke is back and madder than ever. Literally. Someone call a doctor.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/xbox-...ace-2-review/1
Old 1st Feb 2011, 09:34   #2
scott_chegg
It's a tool.

scott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youscott_chegg - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Sounds great. Just need to finish Dead Space 1 now.
My System: i5 2500K @ 4.7Ghz | MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz | Corsair H-50 Push-Pull with Silent Eagle 2000's | Silverstone Raven RV03 | EVGA 670 FTW | Dell SP2309W | Antec 750W TruePower Blue | Win 7 x64 | Crucial 64GB C300 for OS | Samsung 830 256GB for Active Games & a 1TB Samsung for Steam. Perphiperals: Roccat Kone+ Max V2 | CMStorm Quickfire Pro with Cherry Reds | Cyborg F.L.Y 5 stick for flying and a Logitech DF GT for driving.
scott_chegg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 09:36   #3
chrisb2e9
Dont do that...

chrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysischrisb2e9 can run Crysis
Never finished the first. got bored of it. Think I will give this one a miss.
Old 1st Feb 2011, 09:37   #4
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
isnt it dx9 and not getting download content on pc?

= fail
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 09:59   #5
eVoPhantom
Multimodder

eVoPhantom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The first was excellent, not sure how someone can get bored of it. Thought it was well paced and if you allowed yourself to become immersed, it was quite scary...... if played on the harder levels.

Not played much of the second one yet but it is good so far, perhaps not as much of an impact as the first.
eVoPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 10:02   #6
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I never played the first one But I would have probably got too scared to finish it anyway Maybe I will play thi sone though??
Old 1st Feb 2011, 10:27   #7
Mraedis
Multimodder

Mraedis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I really dislike third person shooters that don't do a good enough job of dealing with the third person perspective, is this one of them? Dead space 1 was.
Old 1st Feb 2011, 10:29   #8
DbD
Supermodder

DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.DbD is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
The problem with the first one was you had limited health+low ammo and you had to buy both at great expense from shops, where if you weren't wasting money on ammo+health you could buy weapon upgrades instead.

Hence you spent a lot of the game trying to complete sections using the minimum ammo + health, then running back and forth saving. This meant a lot of restarting as every time you get jumped at some suspense moment, almost die but make it however having used up far too much ammo + in need of a large health pack you need to redo that section this time taking nearly no damage + using minimal ammo, then going back halfway across the map to save.

This isn't that much fun.

The game also forced you to shoot very accurately to win against charging/shooting enemies, while hampering you with dodgy mouse control and a 3rd person view point for aiming. This got pretty frustrating when you missed some enemy which not only meant a waste of expensive ammo but also getting hit wasting expensive health. Cue restarting that little bit again.

I did complete dead space, but I can't say I really enjoyed it. Is dead space 2 any better?
DbD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 10:53   #9
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbD
The problem with the first one was you had limited health+low ammo and you had to buy both at great expense from shops, where if you weren't wasting money on ammo+health you could buy weapon upgrades instead.

Hence you spent a lot of the game trying to complete sections using the minimum ammo + health, then running back and forth saving. This meant a lot of restarting as every time you get jumped at some suspense moment, almost die but make it however having used up far too much ammo + in need of a large health pack you need to redo that section this time taking nearly no damage + using minimal ammo, then going back halfway across the map to save.

This isn't that much fun.

The game also forced you to shoot very accurately to win against charging/shooting enemies, while hampering you with dodgy mouse control and a 3rd person view point for aiming. This got pretty frustrating when you missed some enemy which not only meant a waste of expensive ammo but also getting hit wasting expensive health. Cue restarting that little bit again.

I did complete dead space, but I can't say I really enjoyed it. Is dead space 2 any better?
Sounds like you weren't very good at the game.

A lot of these complaints suck so far.

"isnt it dx9 and not getting download content on pc?

= fail"

Really? Who cares whether or not it's DX9 or 10, or even 11. The game looks great graphically. Why am I even replying to your post....

"I really dislike third person shooters that don't do a good enough job of dealing with the third person perspective, is this one of them? Dead space 1 was."

The perspective is the same in DS2. I think it looks and feels great. Gives you a good level of immersion.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:12   #10
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Agreed, regardless of whether it uses DX9 or DX11, the game still looks great. It shouldn't use new tech just for the sake of using new tech.

The perspective is the same as it was in the first game. If you didn't like that, then...

And, agreed, it does just sound as if you weren't very good at the game, DbD. Ammo and health weren't that rare, though it was admittedly tough to get every upgrade. Still, if you were restarting after every fight and found it difficult to shoot an arm-covered monster in the limbs...

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:17   #11
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
I recently got the original for a fiver and have completed it twice I thought it was great, really want to play DS2 but I want it to come down in price a bit.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:18   #12
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbD View Post
Really? I found the game gave me far more med packs and ammo than I could ever use, so I sold them all at the store and spent all my cash on nothing but weapons and power nodes. After 1 1/2 playthroughs of the game I had bought all the suits and had fully upgraded every weapon. Granted this was on normal difficulty and I know this wasn't so much the case on the harder difficulties, but after all that is what the harder difficulties are there for, they shouldn't exactly be a cakewalk. I have a hard time understanding how anyone could have that much trouble completing the game on normal difficulty, let alone easy.

I also don't understand complaints about the third person camera angle. I like the fact it is so close to the character and doesn't let you immediately see everything around you. This is a deliberate design choice; if the camera angle was similar to the one in Batman:AA for instance, then the game wouldn't be nearly as scary/suspenseful.

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:19   #13
Blackmoon181
Geography,Its not just colouring in

Blackmoon181 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This game reminds me stylistically about the transition from F.E.A.R to F.E.A.R 2 . Psychological Horror to a more action orientated experience.

Its a shame the second one was pants !
Asus P5Q Deluxe Intel P45 - Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz - Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 PC2-6400C5 - XFX HD5870 - Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB - Antec Quattro 850W PSU - Antec 1200 - Titan Fenrir - Asus Xonar DX - BenQ VW2420H- Samsung SM-2253BW
Blackmoon181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:26   #14
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DbD View Post

That's what the business calls survival horror. It'd be like complaining that MS Flight simulator involves planes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Agreed, regardless of whether it uses DX9 or DX11, the game still looks great. It shouldn't use new tech just for the sake of using new tech.
Couldn't agree more. What's more, Dead Space 1 and 2 can run on very low hardware requirements - whoever coded the game did it bloody well.

Edit: I'm also glad to see the game awarded a high rating. Eight is spot on.
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2

Last edited by Pete J; 1st Feb 2011 at 11:27. Reason: Adding stuff
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:28   #15
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The real question is - are controls finally fixed ? Or it is still "roll your mouse 5 times over your mousepad and waste 30 seconds to turn around by 180 degrees" ? Dead Space 1 was unplayable exactly because of this issue (at least for me). And don't expect from me to play shooters with gamepad.
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:29   #16
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm really enjoying this one. The combat is very good (the 3rd person doesn't grate at all), and the game is generally scary at points, even if it's more BOOGA BOOGA BOO! scary than creeping dread scary. Joe is spot on to say it's paced very well indeed and the game dynamically adjusts drops of ammo and health to keep things tense without being frustrating, even on the normal difficulty. You might think you're flush with guns and health, but 5 mins later after a mega necro-morph fight in the dark, when you're limping and down to your last clip, is when the tension really sets it.

The only bummer for me is no MSAA support yet, even if you force it in the driver
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:29   #17
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Only just started playing the first one after the getting it in the steam sale.

Really enjoyed the hour or so that I've played so far, Think I'll complete AC:Brotherhood first though before I really get stuck into it.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:30   #18
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
The real question is - are controls finally fixed ? Or it is still "roll your mouse 5 times over your mousepad and waste 30 seconds to turn around by 180 degrees" ? Dead Space 1 was unplayable exactly because of this issue (at least for me). And don't expect from me to play shooters with gamepad.
Mouse cotrolls working fine for me, with or without v-sync, which IIRC was the cause of the DS1 issues.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:42   #19
Hamfunk
I AM KROGAN!

Hamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I would never play FPS on a gamepad, but feel 3rd person games such as dead space are well suited to it.

I completed DS1 a few weeks ago with a 360 controller hooked up to the PC! Thought it was a great game!
Old 1st Feb 2011, 11:49   #20
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
The only bummer for me is no MSAA support yet, even if you force it in the driver
Yup, the only real problem I have with both games .
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote