bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Feb 2011, 12:03   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony explains PSone emulation problems

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ion-problems/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 12:06   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Interesting I guess, but not entirely surprising...
Old 1st Feb 2011, 12:07   #3
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Good points, shows they want to release bug-free versions.

Shame FFVIII slipped through the next, that one randomly crashes my PSP, and is the only PSone game I got off the PSN to do so
Old 1st Feb 2011, 12:34   #4
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
I have to laugh at this claim when I see (and enjoy) the fantastic efforts by amateur emulation coders.
At least it suggests that Sony aren't stealing code from emu projects.

Last edited by Zurechial; 1st Feb 2011 at 13:07.
Zurechial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 12:49   #5
mpr
Multimodder

mpr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens

Shame FFVIII slipped through the next, that one randomly crashes my PSP, and is the only PSone game I got off the PSN to do so
I'm more upset at having to remap the controls so I can boost my summons properly.
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:06   #6
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Deal with it is what I say, look at the state of emulators these days, you can even play loads of wii games at whatever res you desire. If non professional coders can create great emulators so should sony be able to.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:13   #7
GiantStickMan
Multimodder

GiantStickMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can understand the lagalities etc, and tracking down developers that have gone under would be quite a difficult task, but seeing the high rate of success from fan-made emulators makes me question why they find it such a hard task to get it right? I play all my old PSone games on an emulator and I'm yet to find a single one that I can't play through to its conclusion due to any of the above mentioned 'bugs' they experience.
GiantStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:27   #8
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
fan made emulators run on the old ps code ( BIOS ) and on pcs that have most of the original extensions anyway they were not designed for a cell process that has 10 threads the psone had an 86mhz core from what i remember

psp and ps3 don't support the old Bios hence the game needs to be converted and that conversion process I doubt always goes well
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:47   #9
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
ill stick to my PC emulator version thanks it works
Old 1st Feb 2011, 14:19   #10
ChaosDefinesOrder
Vapourmodder

ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.ChaosDefinesOrder is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens

I'm more upset at having to remap the controls so I can boost my summons properly.
^this. why the hell does the PSP and by extension the NGP have only two shoulder buttons? I understand there's space constraints but it would have made game ports significantly easier!
ChaosDefinesOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 14:20   #11
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
games that continue to slow down the longer you play them
that's just incompetent emulator that has memory leaks. find some competent programmer to sort it out.
Old 1st Feb 2011, 14:23   #12
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Tried the original wipeout on my PS3 a week or two back, music didn't work at all - which was strange as the music on the wipeout disc can be played through a normal CD player.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 15:04   #13
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My PSP slim and light is running custom firmware and will happily emulate quite a few old psone games with no fuss. Maybe they should hire the guys who made that possible.
Old 1st Feb 2011, 15:23   #14
vampalan
Multimodder

vampalan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Securing the rights for an old game can be a problem, but new bugs? WTF? Sounds like emulator has problems not the games.
vampalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 19:23   #15
SimonStern
Registered Lurker

SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!SimonStern - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
fan made emulators run on the old ps code ( BIOS ) and on pcs that have most of the original extensions anyway they were not designed for a cell process that has 10 threads the psone had an 86mhz core from what i remember

psp and ps3 don't support the old Bios hence the game needs to be converted and that conversion process I doubt always goes well
Then maybe they should try it the other way since it seems to work quite nicely. Looks like they're being beaten at their own game by amateur coders... (rim shot)
Old 1st Feb 2011, 19:32   #16
themax
Ultramodder

themax has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think some people are forgetting that emulation in the sense of the way Sony and MS do for software is not the same as the amateur coders. Each game is ported and reworked in a way that the PS3/PSP recognizes and launches it. That emulation isn't using a PSX Emulator to do so as we do on our PCs. Also it's much easier for the amateurs because as another posted stated, their emulators run off the original PSX BIOS and simplly requires the ISO of said game to launch. If sony were to simply choose to release their bare base emulator pre-loaded with the original BIOS I'm sure that would work, but Sony could find itself in a ****storm of legal troubles because at that point, it's just a matter of us consumers finding original ISO's transferring them to our PS3's and launching the games.
CoD4 Class "Ghost" - MP5 Silenced/ UAV Jammer/ Silent Step
Shhh be very very qwuiet....I'm hunting snipers....
themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 20:08   #17
Th3Maverick
Multimodder

Th3Maverick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Erm...so how has Nintendo been so successful with emulating...well, everything?
Old 1st Feb 2011, 20:20   #18
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I really wish they would add some more big hit titles to the PSN under the PS1 section. There is a pretty big selection but it's still missing some classics, Tomba! comes to mind. It's sad to hear that it takes so much effort to try and get the ports up there for download but I've yet to buy a game and have it act improperly on either my PS3 or my PSP-3000 series so someone must be doing their job properly at sony. I'd be interested to see what games are gonna come out on the PSP-2 but since it is lacking a UMD drive and I have quite a few UMD games, I don't think I'm going to be picking one up anytime soon. They would have to have some KILLER games on that new system for me to even think about it.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 20:35   #19
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I want to have a look at what games were available on the PlayStation store, but you have to have media go installed just to view them, at least m$ let you browse everything on there website.
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 21:43   #20
Penfolduk01
What's a Dremel?

Penfolduk01 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe I'm being naive. But if Sony had 100% PSOne emulation, there would be no need for all these months of poncing around. Sounds like they've deliberately put barriers up so they can flog PS2 and PS3 games. Which they probably make more money on.
Penfolduk01 is offline   Reply With Quote