bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Feb 2011, 12:58   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Sandy Bridge chipset flaw halts board shipments

Intel has stopped shipments of its 6-series chipsets, because of a SATA design flaw.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...chipset-flaw/1
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:08   #2
Greenie
Modder

Greenie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The problem only appears to affect the 3Gb/s SATA ports, as explained over at Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/t...point-sata-bug
Greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:14   #3
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
bugger
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:17   #4
The boy 4rm oz
Project: Elegant-Li

The boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the DremelThe boy 4rm oz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm glad I read this and the article over at anandtech. I was going to head out later this month to upgrade. I will now wait for a birthday upgrade in April .
Project: LEXA FINISHED MOTM Nominee October 08
The boy 4rm oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:18   #5
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Oh well, i suppose the AMD Bulldozer team will be smiling around the water cooler this morning, they have just been given a 3 month window to finalise their product....
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:19   #6
Metwinge
What's a Dremel?

Metwinge has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I bought a 2600k with a fatal1ty P67 board from overclockers.co.uk. Gave them a call today to find out if there was a recall and they have said that they arnt recalling the boards unless the companies notify them too.

Like Greenie states its only affecting the 3Gb sata ports, so im really not to bothered but will happily replace it with a fixed board

2600K @4.2ghz, 8gb 1600 DDR3, 2 5870's in Xfire, Fatality P67 Professional MB, 60gb Vertex 2 SSD, 2 x 1TB Samsung F3, 750watt Antec Truepower, Cooler Master HAF932 AMD Edition.
Metwinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:24   #7
Spraduke
Lurker

Spraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpraduke is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
At first I was a bit worried about it, but after reading around it seems it only affects sustained use of SATA 3gb/s ports. As i use the Sata 6 ports for my 2 HDDs and my 'only used for windows installation' CD drive on the 3gb/s I think I will live.

Saying that if the RMA process looks to be quick once the dust settles I may swap it out (get the latest rev of the UD4 at least)
Spraduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:27   #8
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
*Sleeper agent to AMD mission control*
"Mission accomplished"

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:31   #9
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie
The problem only appears to affect the 3Gb/s SATA ports, as explained over at Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4143/t...point-sata-bug
Thanks - I've put in a link to the Anandtech article as well now.
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:33   #10
Bad_cancer
Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Bad_cancer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
"Mission accomplished"

+1

Q9550 | Evga 790i ultra sli | 4gb Ram | 2x Gtx460 (1gb) | 1Tb storage | Icute titanium 750w |
Cold lava~MOTM Nominee May 2010.
Bad_cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:34   #11
Kasius
Bringing the dremolition

Kasius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Huzarr, patience provales..
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:35   #12
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The real question is - did Intel fire the guy who decided to use that transistor at that spot ?
faugusztin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:36   #13
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not worried. Ill just wait and hope there is a recall, this has been the most stable platform ive been on!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:37   #14
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
"Mission accomplished"
"Make sure you collect the 'protection' from ARM" :P
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:48   #15
Devolve
Deadbeat

Devolve has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I was actually going to buy a sandy bridge upgrade today. Good job bit-tech is my homepage. Oh well, I may have enough for a full system overhaul by then.

Evolution is the myth. Look around you the world isn't
evolving...it's DEvolving.
Devolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 13:51   #16
BradShort
Familyman - Fraggin when allowed :P

BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.BradShort is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
oh bollards!! Already had issues with the P67 chipset and sent a MB back to a reseller (who are trying to wriggle out of it). I usually wait to upgrade but i jumped on board the early adopter intercity to hell this time
Twitter=Steam:BradShort
BradShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 14:11   #17
skipperoo
Minimodder

skipperoo has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well that explains why my order from Scan hasn't arrived today. Looks like I got lucky and ordered it just late enough for them to hold it back till this situation is sorted.
skipperoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 14:13   #18
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradShort
I usually wait to upgrade but i jumped on board the early adopter intercity to hell this time
Which is why i'll be waiting for other people to beta test the new Bulldozer CPU's for 3mths after it launches in Q2 this year....
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 14:13   #19
frontline
Punish Your Machine

frontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfrontline has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Phew, i actually had a motherboard, cpu and RAM in a basket ready to puchase a couple of times but managed to resist the temptation to see how the pricing panned out in the next few months.

Not great news for Intel, but at least it has been spotted early.
Intel Core i7 2600K| Asus P8P67-M PRO R3 | Corsair H70 Hydro Series CPU Cooler |Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit CL9 1.65V | Sapphire HD 6990 4GB GDDR5 | Crucial M225 128Gb SSD | Asus Xonar DX | LG W2261VP | Corsair GS800 PSU
frontline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2011, 14:16   #20
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
The real question is - did Intel fire the guy who decided to use that transistor at that spot ?
the question should be, did Intel fire the manager who made design decision to re-use that cluster of transistors from older Intel chipsets.

the poor engineer was probably just doing what he's been told. i would blame poorly documented cell library rather than the engineer, because in IC design, all you are seeing are blocks, not how the transistor is made.

(but then, im just a poor engineer doing what i've been told. so from the bottom looking up, i find holding a single workhorse engineer responsible is wrong)