1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding CAD software

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Toric, 24 Nov 2002.

1. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

Does anyone use CAD software to plan out their big projects, like whole customs cases? If you guys do use any CAD software, which is it? Is there a free or trial version of this software I can get somewhere?

2. criminally insane

criminally insane What's a Dremel?

i use 3d studio max when i was designing my Cube case

i *purchased* it if u know what i mean :naughty:

www.discreet.com and download gmax its free apart from that most good CAD and 3D program gunna be looking at alot of $$$ or warez *insert evil music*

3. SittingBull

SittingBull What's a Dremel?

is CAD / 3d studio max easy to use?

i might 'buy' it :naughty:

4. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

there good if you have the patience to sit and learn its operations

5. ShadowMan182

ShadowMan182 What's a Dremel?

i've used loads of cad stuff for projects. the good high powered tools that are easy to use are pricy tho. i used pro/desktop (as used by the starchaser team who are going for the x-prize) to design my custom case AQUA.

other products are autoCAD (mechanical edition is the best for this sort of thing.) and unigraphics/solid edge 9. I'm currently using unigraphics as part of my university engineering degree and have a home copy from them. try asking around to see if someone has something you can use. 3d studio max is ok but never will be as accrurate as a dedicated CAD program.

i think that ptc do a free trial of pro/desktop. try out their webpage at www.ptc.com/products/desktop to have a look. another page to look at is www.prodesktop.net

Last edited: 24 Nov 2002
  6. MrABC

MrABC What's a Dremel?

I use AutoCAD (did use TurboCAD - but for some reason i was more comfortable with AutoCAD). BUT the most I use is paper and pen :p

Indeed, bow down to the paper and pen as its the best thing for designing cases...Well, Im an artist so i am good at drawing :hehe:

7. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

hahahaha! Sorry, I will contain myself. 3dsm and CAD have some pretty steep learning curves (personally I like Maya, which is what I use). But you can't just "buy" it. You do realize that 3dsm r4 is $4,000 USD right? CAD is somewhere in the 8,000 range if I'm not correct. gMAX is perfect if you just want to design a case. And don't talk of warez, it be evil. It degrades the products I buy. The more warez, the less improved Photoshop and Illustrator will become with time. So stop downloading, get a 56k =).

AstrumPreliator
    ":grr: "

8. criminally insane

criminally insane What's a Dremel?

i would suggest if u wanna be all *lar dee dar* that you get AutoCAD or something. I've never used it but i think if u just wanna build a case in 3d its good. 3DSMax is more for like other stuff then just designing mechanical things or products so the interface may be a little overwhleming.

9. purple

purple Minimodder

does anyone know if there are templates of components that you can use with autocad?

ie serial ports etc that i can cut and paste so i dont have to dram my own?

cheers

10. Slain

Slain What's a Dremel?

I use Autodesk Autosketch. Its hell easy to use once you get into it.