1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dungeons Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

From your review it almost sounds as if they've played Majesty a few times too many and thought, hey this might work when mixed with DK. But you say there's no way to entice mobs to attack heroes? I think I'll still purchase this, but I may wait for a steam sale. Hopefully Kalypso don't mess up the "real" Tropico sequel they are promising.

3. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

I bought this on Steam since I remember liking Dungeon Keeper. This game unfortunately bores the life out of me ...

Open hero gate, build pentogram, place gold, harvest hero. Rinse, repeat.

4. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

Wish would have waited for the review! Damn you impulse buying (pre-ordering)

Hopefully with all the talent out there in the Mod worlds, I reckon most of 'em will have picked up Dungeons with the hope of DK goodness and will turn the game into DK!

Crossed are fingers!

5. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

wow this saved me some money..

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I really wanted this to be a fun and successful game so we get more devs making different games.

at the beginning of DK2 there was a trailer for DK3, please somebody buy the rights and do a good job

7. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I really wanted this game to be good. Glad I didn't pre-order it, now. Bullet dodged.

8. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

I bought this game a few days ago without any reviews, for 30 quid, wished I didnt, it's worth about 10-15 range. Some how feels like a big mini game rather than a full on game, feels unfinished or what industry calls lacks polish. Colour pallet is very muddy, everything is all red and brown, and very hard to find the edges, they should have taken a cue from World of Warcraft for easy to see graphics.

The character animations are badly done, they look stiff when moving, etc blah blah..
    It's very hard, but there's an easy button, so I can still play this, which is a plush point.

9. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

I would give this game a 5.

10. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It was a little underhanded of them to invoke so much memory of Dungeon Keeper and then remove all of the God Game esque elements that made DK so good.

I've heard you're always in control of your avatar as well, and that it's impossible to deselect him. That sounds incredibly fustrating!

11. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

In other words they used DK to hype their own game in which only resembled DK because you play the bad guy....

Well that marketing strategy seems to have worked on a few of you, bet you're wishing refunds were possible since they definitely haven't lived up to your expectations by the sounds of things.

12. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

I think this game was priced with Steam Sales in mind. I'm glad I didn't preorder it, apart from the price the other feature that it lacked was multiplayer (co-op / vs). This ommision might be acceptable at a lower price point, but at £30, nah.. I'm sorry it's a pass.

13. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

DAM, had high hopes for this game. Hopes shattered again, oh the cruelty.

Guess ill go try DL dosbox and DK 2.

14. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

I so very nearly pre-ordered this title as I absolutely loved the original Dungeon Keeper games.

You have now saved me £29.99!

Is it possible this game can be patched or modded to make it into the awesome title it should have been?

Will it one day pay proper homage to the Horned Reaper?

Or shall we just send the Grim Reaper into Realmforge's offices?

15. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I have been waiting for this game ever since it appeared on Steam, the trailer made it look fun and had a torchlight style to it, but I'm glad I read this. Although I would never have paid the £25 or watever they are charging, max should have been is £10.

It's becoming a dirty trend with Activision to put the release date and money first, before actual game development. Seems nearly every game they are releasing has clearly been rushed.

When a new game is announced that seems interesting I always hope it's not Activision involved.

16. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

Oh, Just to point out you do not need to run DK2 in dosbox, I've had to working on Windows 7 x64. Install DK2, patch it to the latest version (1.08 I think from memory) and when you launch it if it looks all mess up, change the graphics options to software mode. (Well thats how I got it working). :D

17. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

While the basic premiss does sound quite interesting this:
    sounds a little disturbing to me. Torturing others (real or imaginary) for my own entertainment goes a little to far in my books. I realise that in FPS we are killing others and I'm OK with playing at that but torture is just one step too far for me.

18. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Dungeon Keeper had it's fun parts in its day and even Overlord which also had definitive DK inspirations took things further still and maintained a good level of humour and satire too.

Sad to see what is really just another DK spin off and one that clearly falls far from the original. Is it the developers or the actual studios trying to pawn us off with sub par games these days?

19. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Overlord is the closet thing we've got to DK series, similar premis, similar humor....completely different gameplay, but hey it's pretty good too.

20. kingjohn721

kingjohn721 What's a Dremel?

one of the great touches of D-K was the possession spell i had loads of fun transporting my lev 10 dragon or vamp to the next map and kicking the hell outa that maps curent occupiers , at times the bands of screaming winged women was too much though .

Tags: Add Tags