bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Feb 2011, 09:14   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
PC Hardware Buyer's Guide February 2011

Our monthly PC building guide to getting the best components for your PC, whatever your budget.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/buy...ebruary-2011/1
Old 10th Feb 2011, 09:52   #2
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
"When it comes to PSUs, our sister mag Custom PC..."

I hadn't realised that Custom PC was feminine. Is it on newsagents shelves next to Hello! and such?

EDIT: By the way, nice to see the PC guide back after its Christmas break
Old 10th Feb 2011, 10:23   #3
Singularity
Supermodder

Singularity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The recommendation of the Corsair cx 430W made me cringe. Corsair's refusal to give them out for review, coupled with the number of DOA units I've heard of recently just makes it looks like a horrible POS PSU...
I'd much rather go with a cheaper case (one of the smaller CM elite cases for example, or a Xigmatek Asgard) and get a better PSU for the price difference (say, a Seasonic 430W)
Old 10th Feb 2011, 10:39   #4
Synalar
Multimodder

Synalar has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have few doubts about the Premium Player rig:

1. GTX580; this card costs 40% more than GTX570 and offers cca. 16% more performance (at 1920); if the game is not playable with GTX570 it's not with GTX580. for AAA games, that have such high demand, a GTX570SLI would prove better (SLI drivers support most popular games).

2.Premium is also about noise; a Corsair AX or Seasonic Gold PSUs provide much better noise quality at idle or everyday work.

3.X58 platform; I would appreciate a test comparing this motherboard versus AsusP8P67Pro with 2xGTX580(SLI). I think it would give an indication of the situation in November when the new 28nm Nvidia Kepler and AMD Southern Islands hit the shops. Nobody wants a premium rig that it's not upgradable in 6 moths time.
Synalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:09   #5
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I thought the Premium Player rig was about having what's best right now, not speculating about what's going to be best in six months time.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:19   #6
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
synalar they never recomend sli either
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:20   #7
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synalar View Post
1. GTX580; this card costs 40% more than GTX570 and offers cca. 16% more performance (at 1920); if the game is not playable with GTX570 it's not with GTX580. for AAA games, that have such high demand, a GTX570SLI would prove better (SLI drivers support most popular games).
there is a rather large difference between gtx 570 and gtx 580. you may find for premium players that has high resolution () games are only playable on gtx 580. such generalization is foolish.

gtx 580 is the fastest single GPU card at the moment, there is absolutely every reason to use it in premium player. most people spending that amount of money (£300+) on graphics department doesn't want to be bothered by drivers.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:25   #8
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity
The recommendation of the Corsair cx 430W made me cringe. Corsair's refusal to give them out for review, coupled with the number of DOA units I've heard of recently just makes it looks like a horrible POS PSU...
I'd much rather go with a cheaper case (one of the smaller CM elite cases for example, or a Xigmatek Asgard) and get a better PSU for the price difference (say, a Seasonic 430W)
We'd actually intended to change that, but we hit the Publish button too quickly. It's changed to the Antec Earthwatts 380W:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The article
Finally, we've updated the PSU from the Corsair SU-430CX 430W to a PSU we have reviewed: the Antec Earthwatts 380W. We said in Custom PC that it 'proved able to output a stable voltage from all of its rails [and] itís also reasonably efficient'. As this isn't a monster PC, a 380W power supply is fine.

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 11:57   #9
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
got to admit I like having 3 screens to much to have just one graphics card (and want 3d) so 2 nvidia cards are a must.

however since moving to 2 570's I cant seem to get them to run 3 monitors at present without them rebooting the computer... so its not plug an play perfect yet.

with the issues over SI I'm suprised that you didn't hold off a month but I guess some readers might explode lol.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 12:37   #10
Repo
Supermodder

Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4nky View Post
"When it comes to PSUs, our sister mag Custom PC..."

I hadn't realised that Custom PC was feminine. Is it on newsagents shelves next to Hello! and such?

EDIT: By the way, nice to see the PC guide back after its Christmas break
You can find it in the Womens Monthlies section...

/gets coat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Yup, the CX430 has a bad rep, which is a shame as the Builder CX400 (it's predecesor) was a great unit in it's class.
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 12:46   #11
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
premium player is an interesting one this week, didnt see an i7 recommendation coming at all! Although if i was buying a new rig now i'd just wait until march
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 12:51   #12
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit-tech
expensive now that SilverStone has stared shipping the case with its excellent Air Penetrator fans.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 13:14   #13
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I'd have expected 8GB RAM "Gaming Workhorse" rig, and find the jump between the mid-range GTX560 and the Top-End GTX580 rather high.
Also, while the SB Chips are undeniably great once the current problem has been solved, it would have been nice to at least mention chips-and-boards that come without errors.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 13:17   #14
Hustler
Hypermodder

Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Hustler is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yikes!!!....clean sweep for Intel on the CPU front.

AMD....Bulldozer cant come soon enough.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 13:19   #15
Kasius
Bringing the dremolition

Kasius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Going to hold out for z68 and still take the Sandbridge route still i think. Will have to wait till Q2 though
Old 10th Feb 2011, 14:04   #16
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler

Counting chickens before they've hatched me thinks.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 14:28   #17
Singularity
Supermodder

Singularity has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claave View Post
We'd actually intended to change that, but we hit the Publish button too quickly. It's changed to the Antec Earthwatts 380W:
Hurray! A much better option in my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo View Post
Yup, the CX430 has a bad rep, which is a shame as the Builder CX400 (it's predecesor) was a great unit in it's class.
Very true, the old CX400 was light years ahead of this low-end stuff.
Old 10th Feb 2011, 14:31   #18
rasmusdf
What's a Dremel?

rasmusdf has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler

Why on earth don't they recommend the Athlon II X3 for the gaming build????
Also - a Phenom II X4 + mobo is quite a bit cheaper than the Intel equivalents, allowing for a bigger GPU - why is this not considered?

Perhaps bit-tech is just an Intel shill.
rasmusdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 17:17   #19
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
A couple of points on the Affordable all rounder:

1) Drop the Antec 300 in favour of the confusingly named but superior Antec 100. The latter has far better asthetics and cable management facilities (well it actually has cable management....)

2) Where are you getting your memory prices from? DDR3 PC12800 (1600MT/s) is easily available for sub £35 (and in some cases sub £30).

3) Drop the G6950 for the i3 540. It is only a few £ more but offers HT and a higher stock clock frequency to counter (thus more performance clock for clock).

4) Put back in the HD6850 1GB or replace it with the GTX460 1GB. Realistically looking forward 768MB of memory isn't enough for future games at 1680x1050. Heck, current games can easily blow past that limit at 1680x1050 with some AA & AF (something either the HD6850 or GTX460 are perfectly capable of).
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2011, 18:03   #20
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
With the price of memory so low, theres no reason for anything except the budget build to have less than 8GB of RAM. 6GB is ok, but lets face it, if your paying for x58, then $145 (/w 15% promo code) US$ (Its the same price for me in canuckastan) for 12GB 1600mhz (3x 4GB) is easy money to spend for such a large epeen expansion.

With apoligies to you UK folks who seem to pay a premium on everything and then VAT on top of that, just to add insult to injury.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote