bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Feb 2011, 14:07   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Thoughts on Mainstream Game Advertising

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...e-advertising/

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 14:23   #2
PlayedStation
Possessed like an apostrophe

PlayedStation has yet to learn the way of the DremelPlayedStation has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
While i agree fundamentally with what you're saying in terms of the target audience for the wii, do you think its actually necessary to mention that the mario games are part of their heritage? Surely those who remember mario, simply remember mario, without the need to remind them of how old they are getting, and how the company that invented it is still milking the life out of a franchise 25 years later.

Whats next? Call of Duty... Since 2004
PlayedStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 14:24   #3
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm not sure if there is a word for it? You know, from the feeling you get from watching a Wii advert. It's a mixed feeling of embarrassment; for the people on the advert, anger; towards the people on the advert, nausia; hoping there is actually no one in real life like that, shame; because I like some Wii games, depression; because I feel no way near as happy as the people in the advert appear, horrified; at the whiteness of the peoples teeth, envious; at the fact that they are earning money for it, and underwhelmed at how little the advert makes me want to own the game.

Can anyway think of a word for that?
Old 14th Feb 2011, 14:54   #4
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus09
Can anyway think of a word for that?
Facepalm.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 14:57   #5
Sifter3000
I used to be somebody

Sifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the DremelSifter3000 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus09
I hated it
I think that's a great advert. It makes a bold claim - that Mario, a video game character is a cultural institution - in a quiet, unassuming way. You can't imagine them being able to do the same with Sonic, or Lara Croft, can you?

To me, it also seems about as genuine as an ad is going to get (aside from the Jamie Redknapp bit, which Paul is right to point out). But compare how Jonathan Ross comes across in this to how he is when he presents TV. Here he seems much more spontaneous, more personal, less of a show off.

It's also well paced - the way the hold the music back till right at the end, so it's practically playing in your head by the time it arrives - doesn't take itself too seriously (Ross's Jamie Cullum joke), and in the appearance of Patrick Moore aka Games Master, a nice nod to the geeks in the audience.

The one tech company which has used this kind of ad before - and which does sometimes appeal to its heritage, albeit less explicitly than this - is Apple.

My weblog is The Wired Jester.
Photos on Flickr.
Sifter3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 15:21   #6
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Mario and Lara Croft are part of our culture, maybe Sonic less so as he's not been that constant.
The generation of my parents know Mario and Lara Croft, even though they never touched one of the games.

What other Game characters can we really say that about?
Batman? (Not a game character really)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 15:27   #7
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir View Post
What other Game characters can we really say that about?
Batman? (Not a game character really)
Duke Nukem he's been round since the release of the relentless torrent of sequels, oh hang on....
Old 14th Feb 2011, 15:34   #8
TCoZ
Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

TCoZ has yet to learn the way of the DremelTCoZ has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000 View Post
or Lara Croft
She got a street named after her.

I think Nintendo's advertising is great. It doesn't appeal at all to the hardcore gamers, but they aren't the ones Nintendo needs to target, are they?
TCoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 15:38   #9
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
IT'SA ME!!! MARIO!!!

Only computer game my non gamer friends can still beat me at
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 15:38   #10
Da_Rude_Baboon
What the?

Da_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitDa_Rude_Baboon is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Nintendo have been rehashing the same content over and over for 25 years which is why their characters are recognisable.
Da_Rude_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 16:00   #11
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I hate how Nintendo are still advertising the DSi to the public, yet the 3DS is round the corner. Why don't they fess up and actually make 3DS adverts and accept they can't just keep flogging DSi for ever and ever.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 17:37   #12
dactone
dact-one

dactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nintendo is for kids and these adverts do there job.. they manage to get everysingle little kid to ask there mums and dads for a wii or dsi or whatever. so even if i or anybody infact gringes when one comes on it it dosn't matter because nintendo's advertising team are doing there jobs right.
Old 14th Feb 2011, 17:42   #13
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
I hate how Nintendo are still advertising the DSi to the public, yet the 3DS is round the corner. Why don't they fess up and actually make 3DS adverts and accept they can't just keep flogging DSi for ever and ever.
Sony are still selling the PS2, and remaking the games every 5 years isn't nearly as bad as the sports and cod franchises.
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 18:17   #14
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Does anyone remember the Zelda: Links Awakening advert from the early 90s that had Rik Mayall in it. I have no idea how that advert has stuck in my mind for so long, I was only about 8 years old at the time. I wonder if i'll remember the smug f*ckers from the current Nintendo adverts in 18 years time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su3kMZ7sEm8
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 18:26   #15
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I remember that commercial and I would hardly consider ‘Super Mario Brothers, part of the family since 1985’ to be a good message, comes across to me, as have not had any original ideas since 1985 so have been the same ones over and over ever since.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2011, 20:02   #16
Xtrafresh
It never hurts to help

Xtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run CrysisXtrafresh can run Crysis
That video is blocked because i don't live in the UK. What kind of ass-backwards company blocks it's own commercials from youtube?
Old 14th Feb 2011, 20:09   #17
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon
Nintendo have been rehashing the same content over and over for 25 years which is why their characters are recognisable.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2011, 00:37   #18
deadsea
Multimodder

deadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldeadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh
That video is blocked because i don't live in the UK. What kind of ass-backwards company blocks it's own commercials from youtube?
Me too. Sheesh.. It's a ad for heaven's sake. If a person with eyes wants to see it, let them. Heck even if a blind guy wants to just listen to the tunes..

Isn't that the whole point of advertising?
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2011, 04:02   #19
sleepygamer
More Metal Than Thou

sleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysissleepygamer can run Crysis
Here's another Rik Mayall Nintendo advert.

Lazarus | CPU | Intel C2Q Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz | RAM | 4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Reaper DDR2 666MHz @ 5-6-6-15 | Mobo | ASUS P5B Deluxe | GPU | EVGA GTX460 1GB SC | SSD/Boot | Kingston 64GB SSDNow V | HDD/Storage | 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 | PSU | Silverstone Strider 700W | Case | NZXT M59 | Monitor | 20" LG Flatron | Keyboard | Razer Lycosa Mirror | Mouse | Razer Lachesis Wraith Red
I also blog! - It's about hardware and stuff! // Latest review: Sennheiser HD 215 Headphones
I also tweet! - sleepygamester
sleepygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2011, 05:43   #20
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh View Post
WTF? Censorship on YouTube? When did YouTube get bought out by the UK Gov't? Seriously, this is the first time I've seen this sort of thing on YouTube.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote