bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:17   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Study links number of Facebook friends to stress levels

Those with the most contacts are more likely to be stressed.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2011/02...ds-to-stress/1
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:23   #2
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I have a mouth and a phone. Why is facebook useful?
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:26   #3
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.
The only stress I get from facebook is when someone spams me unknowingly because they don't know their malware ridden PC is crapping out garbage.

I used to just remove them but it's got so bad I have blocked anything from being written on my wall.
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:30   #4
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Meh, no different from the stress generated by IRC or IM.
Must-Answer-must-be-witty.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:34   #5
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
why do people read their feed should be the first stress alarm bell.

i only go on it to use the PM system to connect with friends, i simply don't understand the wall system. when you are having a conversation with another person, you don't want to be interrupted, so why use the wall posts when it's definitely going to get viewed and commented by other people? most of the time, people you never met.
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:40   #6
Orionche

I've noticed that people with a large friends list very rarely post anything, sort of defeating the purpose of the site...
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:40   #7
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I swear, people go out of their way to get stressed these days.

It's not uncommon that I start talking to someone I know and they're suffering from "Stress" or "anxiety" or some other illness.
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:41   #8
The Infamous Mr D
We like beans & cheesecake

The Infamous Mr D has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I suppose it's essentially the equivalent of being popular in real life. As in the days before social networking sites sprung up, the pressure to manage that many friends, contacts and associates with appearances, witty banter and charming dialogue must have been about the same.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz, Asus P5E, Patriot Viper 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2, XFX Radeon HD5870 1GB
2x Maxtor DiamondMax 21 80GB in RAID 0, PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU, all in a Coolermaster Cosmos PURE
The Infamous Mr D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 11:55   #9
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't see how people with thousands of 'friends' on Facebook can relax and be themselves. Well, unless you are actually a well-liked and funny guy like Matt Lucas etc, then I guess so, but otherwise you would constantly feel like curbing your true jesting or honesty for fear of upsetting/annoying people.

Also those who don't fall in the Matt Lucas category and seem to be pulling as many randoms into their 'friends' list as possible, appear to me to be desperately trying to look popular, and the reality is that like someone said above, these people then say bugger-all !
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 12:03   #10
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The only thing that stresses me about facebook is that there is so many people, yet nothing happening at all. Kind of like satellite television, so many channels but nothing on!
Old 16th Feb 2011, 12:14   #11
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
You can speak photographs?! You can call people in multiple timezonesat once without annoying them?! You can organise something with hundreds of people without incurring a huge phone bill?! You phone people up to tell them about funny links all the time?! You can keep in touch with friends you haven't seen for years without being a weirdo?!

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 12:25   #12
bob_lewis
Lurker extraordinaire

bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.bob_lewis is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sounds like you've got quite a lot of friends on the book of faces thingie, Joe...
bob_lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 12:32   #13
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Just reading this has got me stressed, I'd talk to my imaginary friend but he's not talking to me at the moment.
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 12:33   #14
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.
I recent returned to Facebook...

...and now Facebook.... my own personal trolling ground. I have about 20 friends who help me troll people and have a laugh, but that isn't my issue ^.^

Facebook IM can sod off, I just route it through windows live and chat to my mates on there!
Old 16th Feb 2011, 12:33   #15
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by PingCrosby View Post
Just reading this has got me stressed, I'd talk to my imaginary friend but he's not talking to me at the moment.
'Poke' him on FB, apparently it's the same as twisting his nipples IRL!
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 12:38   #16
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Hasn't this dude been picked up by the scientologists? He'll just ignore it as all Psychologists are evil in their eyes!
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 12:45   #17
biFFon
Minimodder

biFFon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Imagine if people really did do all that via your phone! Now that would be stressful...
biFFon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 13:13   #18
paisa666
I WILL END YOU!!!

paisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
You can speak photographs?! You can call people in multiple timezonesat once without annoying them?! You can organise something with hundreds of people without incurring a huge phone bill?! You phone people up to tell them about funny links all the time?! You can keep in touch with friends you haven't seen for years without being a weirdo?!
Yep. You know what faceboof is for and would ask WarrenJ those same questions.

I find facebook to be a great tool to keep in touch with people YOU ALREADY KNOW, just to say "Hi" to buddies you havent seen for a long time, from school or something, organize meetings with friends its just way to easy without calling each other making a mess.

Now if you use facebook to know new Ppl and stuff, then I say something its not working
Old 16th Feb 2011, 13:21   #19
Necrow
Multimodder

Necrow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
1 figure they forgot:
100% of internet users that have no facebook accounts had 0% stress related to facebook.

Facebook = Stress
Stress = Early Death
therefore:
Facebook Kills
Necrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2011, 13:26   #20
tristanperry
Hypermodder

tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.tristanperry is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Geez, makes for some incredulous reading.

Quote:
"the study concluded that, for a significant number of Facebook users, the negative effects of the website even outweigh the positive benefits"

* 12 per cent of respondents said that Facebook made them feel anxious

* 32 per cent said rejecting friend requests led to feelings of guilt and discomfort
THEN STOP USING FACEBOOK!

I use Facebook to keep in touch with friends and family in a casual way. If something urgent or private comes up, I'll use the phone.

If someone is constantly negative or keeps sending around the silly Facebook chain-letter style statuses, I'll put them on ignore.

And if I found myself getting stressed due to Facebook, I'd delete my account.

It amazes me how some people (who are thankfully in a minority) would keep using Facebook even if they don't enjoy it?
Antec 300 | Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 | Core i5 750 @ 3.6ghz | Corsair XMS3 4GB 1,600Mhz | XFX HD5850 | 120 GB Corsair Series Force 3 SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 | Titan Fenrir | BenQ G2220HD 21.5" Widescreen | Corsair VX550W

Last edited by tristanperry; 16th Feb 2011 at 13:37.
tristanperry is offline   Reply With Quote