1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia showcases quad-core Tegra 3 silicon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 16 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

uumm sounds tasty, but it all depends on the device and os, but it might just make some of those tablets a bit more desirable as long as their below £1000.

3. hbeevers

hbeevers Yes, it can play crysis!

Great, Nvidia's really come through with this i think, now microsoft just needs to make a revision of windows 7 making it better for tablets/ netbooks and increase the battery life to compete properly with the ipad and macbook air. Although if i got a tablet with this chip in it i'd likely just install ubuntu.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's amazing how fast these ASIC are advancing......

soon, a tiny general purposely made SoC chip will be all that's needed to do a space mission. (think GPGPU in these nVidia chips for vector calculations)

5. aleph31

aleph31 What's a Dremel?

I would like to know how those figures compares with the just-announced quad-core Snapdragon Krait (APQ8064) from Qualcomm...

That's the problem with all those new chips, you cannot make an isolated benchmarking, just smartphone vs. smartphone...

6. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Anyone else having visions of Superman sitting somewhere in a lab designing nVidia chips? No? Must be the whisky then...

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I was thinking the same thing.

8. coolius

coolius What's a Dremel?

Can't wait to see this in an Atrix-like device. Talk about an ultra-mobile PC.

9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

There's an in-depth write up on Anandtech for all those interested. It does look like a very decent SoC. Tegra 2 was impressive, but the time frames involved with Tegra 3 are just astounding considering the gains. T3 will be in tablets by August, if all goes to nVidia's plans.

10. DbD

DbD Minimodder

The computer that put man on the moon was less powerful then your average calculator. It had 64kb of memory, weight 35kg and used 55W.

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

thanks for a well known fact. but the reason for it being so slow is that it's a bespoke system. even today, if there were another mission to the moon, we would be using slower, more power hungry system because it require heavy customisation.

hence i suggested use of COTS SoC.

same for military tech, if we can adopt commercial off-the-shelf stuff we should see a huge increase in effectiveness for chip speed/heat/power.

12. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

Poor Qualcomm Snapdragon...

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

It's not that bespoke, last I heard the ISS, and a number of nuclear subs were using 386's, same as we had in our pc's many years ago. There was the famous story of the American military trying to buy them on ebay cause they needed spares.

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Little bit of a problem with that...

It's not just windows, it's all the apps and software. Why bother going with a windows machine that makes using all the legacy apps a pain in the...

That's why android and iOS are really doing well in this space and exactly the reason why apple didn't just use OSX and google didn't just go with a standard Linux (or just leave it alone).

Both apple & google saw the need / demand for a touch based OS, Microsoft didn't or more likely decided they were too big to have to worry about it. Unless they've been working on something pretty pretty special (they haven't!) they are not going to compete in the handheld arena, not yet.

Apple + Google + RIM have taught a lot of people that it doesn't matter if your mobile device runs Windows or not, it's how it works with what else you've got that matters. Traditionally microsoft have been terrible at the whole sync / dual use side of things, that's why people moved away from them and are very very wary of ever going back - not when the competition works so well.

15. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

16. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

hubble used a 486

17. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

It'd better be amazing to live up to that name.

18. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

Any missions to the moon since Apollo have not needed to be made with "man rated" components .. apples/oranges
    Not sure where I'm leaning toward , a good netbook pc would serve me at work very well , not so sure about having a tablet ... It's for sure going to expand the usability of both

19. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Waiting for a kryptonite chip to steal its thunder

20. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

+1
    So, did Nvidia decide to start their DC universe naming codes? I probably won't bet getting the darkseid chip....

Tags: Add Tags