bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Feb 2011, 08:38   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Critical Hit: Nintendo's Novelty Act

Bit-Gamer's resident columnist has a change of heart regarding the 3DS and ponders the NGP.

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2011/...-novelty-act/1
Old 21st Feb 2011, 08:57   #2
PyrO_PrOfessOr
Modder

PyrO_PrOfessOr has yet to learn the way of the DremelPyrO_PrOfessOr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I managed to get a play with one of the augmented reality games when I was in Game earlier this week - their demo model had just arrived into the shop and it was quite quiet. I had been incredibly skeptical about the 3D screen having worked with many 3D systems in the past through University and work but I couldn't believe how good the 3D was. The AR game involved setting a card on the desktop, allowing the 3DS to get a lock and then watching as things spawned all over the desktop. Te ability to move around everything was very impressive and the depth of the display made it feel like you were just looking through a piece of glass with a heads up display.

I'll definitely be picking up one of these, although possibly not to the summer until my Masters is out of the way...
PyrO_PrOfessOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 09:03   #3
shaunboy
Phenom II's are cool guys

shaunboy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My orginal DS Phat is looking quite outdated at 6 years old in October which is really the only reason I've got a pre-order on the 3DS, with a copy of Rayman 3D of course.

In terms of Sony's new console, I'll have to wait and see. Not sure about the decision to have the PSPhone and a totally new console is a good thing though.

Last edited by shaunboy; 21st Feb 2011 at 10:09.
shaunboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 09:07   #4
outlawaol
Geeked since 1982

outlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysis
I'd like to see one in action tbh.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 09:15   #5
weeman1985
Modder

weeman1985 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Being in Japan I was lucky enough to get to play with one just after new year and it almost made me regret getting my XL 2 months before. Not quite though. It is awesome, but I'm now in love with the size of the screens on the XL (having upgraded from the Lite). Will definitely get one when they come out with an extra large version though.
weeman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 09:17   #6
sub routine
Archie Gemel

sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.sub routine is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunboy
My orginal DS Phat is looking quite outdated at 5 years
haha me too, they look like a space invader or somthing straight out the 60`s and made of bakelite.

was just thinking if this 3d holds upto it it might be time to upgrade. I think i will have to wait to see it to believe it before i buy.
sub routine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 10:17   #7
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
augmented reality will be the killer app!
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 10:28   #8
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Not impressed TBH. Will not be giving up my DSlite for it. The tech behind it has been around for some time, and the 3D only works within very small angles, which I can see leading to holding or sitting uncomfortably to play it well.

As for the AR, play Invizimals on the PSP. Fantastic little game, also has Brian Blessed.

The 3DS is too expensive, too gimmicy. The day the pokemon series of games jumps over to it, is the day I stop buying pokemon games, so black and white are the last ones I'll own.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 10:28   #9
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I got to try a 3DS the other day at MGM (playing Resident Evil and OoT), and was really impressed, the 3d is really impressive, it does look like you're looking into a box. Viewing angle is really narrow though, you can't move your head around much, which was fine in the little booths, but may be a problem if you try to play them outside/on the bus with bright sunlight.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 10:45   #10
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Jon, why the change of heart? What have you seen or heard that has convinced you to pick one up?

Mine is pre-ordered, mainly due to previous reports and a thirst for touching shiny new things ...

Regard PSP, I regretted ever buying one, hardly ever used. The DS is much more fun for long trips. And now iPhone and iPad of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens View Post
The 3DS is too expensive, too gimmicy. The day the pokemon series of games jumps over to it, is the day I stop buying pokemon games, so black and white are the last ones I'll own.
Have you used one?
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 11:03   #11
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
Have you used one?
Yes I have.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 14:56   #12
paisa666
I WILL END YOU!!!

paisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens
Quote:
Have you used one?
Yes I have.
You know... I know you havent used one of them, how do I know you may ask, well lets take a look at your original post

Quote:
which I can see leading to holding or sitting uncomfortably to play it well.
If you used one then you wouldnt "see leading to holding or sitting uncomfortably"; you would know you have to sit uncomfortably!!! :P

As for me I do want to try this piece of hardware... looks like I could enjoy it!!
Old 21st Feb 2011, 18:15   #13
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
I'd rather go for Sony's offering because it will be hacked and then I'll get to toss a bunch of emulators on it, and whatever homebrew is good at the time.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 18:16   #14
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Dunno if he's only used one briefly then his comment still makes sense.

Anyway, don't care about this at all, I'm just geeked out they are bothering to make a PSP2 I know I'm almost alone around here but I think the specs and setup of it sound fantastic and I'll be enjoying Unchartered on the go.
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 18:20   #15
Toploaded
Supermodder

Toploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the DremelToploaded has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd
I'd rather go for Sony's offering because it will be hacked and then I'll get to toss a bunch of emulators on it, and whatever homebrew is good at the time.
Maybe, but Sony are getting better all the time at preventing it, took the PS3 the best part of 4 years to get opened up.
Toploaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 18:41   #16
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toploaded
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd
Maybe, but Sony are getting better all the time at preventing it, took the PS3 the best part of 4 years to get opened up.
It was the removal of linux from the PS3 that sparked the breaking/homebrew scene on the PS3. So I guess they didn't have much incentive to break it.

The PSP was hacked very quickly IIRC.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2011, 19:37   #17
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisa666
Quote:
Quote:
Have you used one?
Yes I have.
You know... I know you havent used one of them, how do I know you may ask, well lets take a look at your original post

Quote:
which I can see leading to holding or sitting uncomfortably to play it well.
If you used one then you wouldnt "see leading to holding or sitting uncomfortably"; you would know you have to sit uncomfortably!!! :P

As for me I do want to try this piece of hardware... looks like I could enjoy it!!
After some time it might be uncomfortable, smart arse. DS I can change position to avoid sun on my screen, lie down etc. not an option.

just because I'm not blown over by the device don't mean I havent used one. It's not the Ark of the bloody Covenant.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 19:47   #18
knyghtryda
Multimodder

knyghtryda has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hate to say it, but after owning both a PSP (bought it cheap used) and a NDS Lite (got it as a gift), my go to portable gaming device has been... my phone. Yup, whether its an iDevice or an Android, the phones are now even more powerful than the dedicated portables, and that just means better games for on the go gaming. It also more importantly means I carry less stuff, though I guess I'm still antiquated enough to have a dedicated MP3 player along side my phone (iPod Classic cheesecake!)
Old 21st Feb 2011, 20:47   #19
paisa666
I WILL END YOU!!!

paisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens View Post
After some time it might be uncomfortable, smart arse. DS I can change position to avoid sun on my screen, lie down etc. not an option.

just because I'm not blown over by the device don't mean I havent used one. It's not the Ark of the bloody Covenant.
LOL, fair enough. Honestly I have never owned a portable device, and what you say about the angle makes sense.

the only "on the go" gaming I have its on my iPod touch and I dont think that's about to change.
Old 21st Feb 2011, 21:04   #20
Omnituens
Hypermodder

If I didn't already own a DS and a PSP, I'd get one when games I wanted for it came out; Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright and the next gen pokemon games after black and white.

Or if both those devices exploded or something.