bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 24th Feb 2011, 08:06   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Shuttle Talks Shop and Previews the XPC SH67H3

We visit Shuttle's HQ to see its new SH67H3 and chat about AMD CPUs, the UK market and future XPCs.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs...s-its-sh67h3/1
Old 24th Feb 2011, 08:26   #2
deadsea
Multimodder

deadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldeadsea has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now is that sliver or silver or sliver OF silver that I'm supposed to be repeating? =)

Last edited by deadsea; 24th Feb 2011 at 08:28. Reason: Right.... sliver of sliver is difficult...
deadsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 09:04   #3
subtec
drawing boxes

subtec can run Crysissubtec can run Crysissubtec can run Crysissubtec can run Crysissubtec can run Crysissubtec can run Crysissubtec can run Crysissubtec can run Crysis
You know what I'd like to see, and Shuttle is in a good position to do this - DTX and/or Mini-DTX motherboards. They should be a straight fit for their ITX-compatible chassis, and the DTX form factor seems large enough (MATX minus two expansion slots, basically) that it could replace their proprietary form factor for running the more powerful 4 DIMM socket/X58 configurations. I bet they'd have no problem selling a few motherboards then.
subtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 09:47   #4
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsea
Now is that sliver or silver or sliver OF silver that I'm supposed to be repeating? =)
'Of' I assume. It's too early to be asking us to understand these crazy typos! :P
Old 24th Feb 2011, 10:00   #5
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Interesting to see how the chipset and cpu socket are placed on the motherboard. I guess it has to do with lane timings.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 10:19   #6
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
we asked about buying the possibility of buying XPC motherboards
??? Anyway looks nice
Old 24th Feb 2011, 10:33   #7
Kasius
Bringing the dremolition

Kasius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Would you look at that, the front of the building looks like a shuttle
Old 24th Feb 2011, 10:35   #8
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hmm.. I can only see two internal sata ports. I would've thought they'd put 3 in so you could have 2 hdds and an optical drive.
Old 24th Feb 2011, 10:42   #9
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Silverstone Sugo SG05/06 + miniITX-board = WIN!

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 11:36   #10
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love Shuttle and their XPCs. Not keen on the current fascia though.

Nice sleek G5 style chassis please.
During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 12:19   #11
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
yep seems like the design has stayed the same since about 2006. i much prefer the look of cases like the sugo or lian li Qxx
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 12:21   #12
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Could you fit a H50 or H70 Corsair cooler in there instead of their passive heatsink? Anyone tried it?
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 12:27   #13
CAT-THE-FIFTH
Modder

CAT-THE-FIFTH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I currently use an SD37P2 and had an SN41G2 before that, so I am quite happy to hear that they are releasing cases now! However,it is a shame they have no intention of releasing any AMD based Shuttle SFF PCs this year.
CAT-THE-FIFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 12:36   #14
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Are they planning on releasing a P67 (or Z67) based case?
Having a "P" chassis myself, i can understand the downsizing, I wouldn't need anything more than fits in there.
Actually an internal 2.5" and a 3.5" would suffice for an SSD and a big drive, requiering even less space
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 13:08   #15
McSteel
Shape Memory Alloy

McSteel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
You're probably getting bored of me with my PSU comments, but I just have to comment on the one mentioned here, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Meanwhile, the included 300W PSU is 80Plus Bronze rated, but can still handle 32A across its two 12V rails for gaming graphics cards.
This simply isn't true. There supposedly are 2 12V rails, with OCP trip point (if present at all) set at 16A. This does not mean the 12V rail can output 32A (which would make it alone provide 384W, which is a but much for a 300W PSU, don't you think?), it just means that if any one of the 12V rails is loaded with > 16A, the unit will shut down to prevent damage. (16A nominally, if OCP is indeed present, it would most likely shut down the unit at ~20-22A). This PSU could, by power rating alone, be theoretically able to support a GTS 450 or an HD5770 at most, non-OC'd. This would depend on the connectors available and the rest of the hardware used, but considering a 95W CPU and about 45W worth of storage options, 20-30W for the motherboard, you have just enough juice for a vanilla ~105W TDP GPU, and you'd be pushing the PSU at prolonged gaming sessions...
Of course, a less hungry CPU would allow for more wiggle room in the GPU department, but even then it would be ill-advised to get anything stronger than a GTX460SE or an HD6850.

About the PSU itself; internally it is an FSP (Fortron Source Power), a mediocre-to-good OEM, responsible for many Cooler Master, OCZ, Silverstone, Gigabyte, and some other units, as well as their own retail units. This one is something of a cross between FSP250-50LC and FSP450-60GHS(85), and is tailor-made exclusively for Shuttle. Should be a decent performer, although I wonder about it's ripple/noise suppression at higher loads...

80 Plus test report here. Seems to suggest that the maximum power output of the 12V rail is ~250W, something to keep in mind when deciding on the CPU/GPU combo...
McSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 13:37   #16
Repo
Supermodder

Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Blast from the past! I still have my old SK41G somewhere

I prefer the Shuttle look to the Lian Li Q series, they look unfinished or like something a metalwork student has knocked up at college. Some of the Silverstone SFF stuff (e.g. SG04) is nice though
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 13:39   #17
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmmm, the shuttle PSU'S seem to have a very good rating (among Shuttle users) for coping with large loads.
Then again, most PSU's in "normal" PC's are quite oversized.
For a gaming Shuttle hwoevr, I'd go for the 500W variant of this PSU to be on the safe side.
It should be sufficient for an I5 or I7 with any single core GPU that's out there.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 14:30   #18
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Could you fit a H50 or H70 Corsair cooler in there instead of their passive heatsink? Anyone tried it?
Looking at the pictures it doesn't look like unless you mod the exhaust section. The Heatsink design is noted as being 92mm instead of 120mm so instantly that is a issue for H50/H70 units. The mounting points on the MB also don't *seem* to conform to any standard so getting the mounting bracket of a H50 to fit will require cutomization.

In the end if you wanted a more powerful build you would be better off with the Sugo SG07.
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 14:47   #19
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
They're hardly moving or styling with the times are they. I know they work well as I've got a couple of their systems set up round the house, but I would have thought that they might have moved on a little by now.

What's wrong with a higher power external power brick for these systems and going with an ITX form factor rather than inventing your own? Seems to me that there's a standardisation and a cost saving that they could achieve there....

Good to see new versions out, even if they don't really target the high end overclockers... These make fabulous LAN rigs.
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2011, 14:53   #20
Tattysnuc
Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tattysnuc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips
Looking at the pictures it doesn't look like unless you mod the exhaust section. The Heatsink design is noted as being 92mm instead of 120mm so instantly that is a issue for H50/H70 units. The mounting points on the MB also don't *seem* to conform to any standard so getting the mounting bracket of a H50 to fit will require cutomization.

In the end if you wanted a more powerful build you would be better off with the Sugo SG07.
The motherboard holes are not in the same place as Intels standard on their S775 boards, and I seem to remember the same sized holes were used on an AMD version I had, so I'm guessing that they put the holes to fit THEIR heatpipe mounting system, which is non-standard.

There always used to be raised section tapped domes underneath the board to screw into. These gets in the way of putting any bolts through, unless they have a countersunk head, or you screw directly into them from the top side.
Tattysnuc is offline   Reply With Quote