bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 28th Feb 2011, 12:13   #1
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Cor Leonis

Welcome to my first water cooled project, Cor Leonis (heart of the lion).
I haven't made any drawings for this but I have prepared some sketch up images for the log to give you an idea of what's going on, so I'll get straight into it and explain as things progress.

In the following images you can see that the graphics card will mount parallel to the motherboard with the aid of a PCIex extender. I've also included the two blocks here, and the thing to note is that there will be no tubing this side of the board. All the tubing will be around the back of the board, between it and the PSU. I'll leave any more details for the progression of the project, I think it's more interesting like that.

I have already played around with making some water cooling gear for the past month.

As usual I start building from the inside out. The first and central part is the motherboard/GFX tray. This is only a little different from the norm in that it not only holds the mobo but also has an extra level to hold the GFX card. This is made from 4mm plate and the only thing to measure initially is the width of the board I'm going to use (mATX). The length of this piece is just a guess including all the bends for the second tier.

Now before work can progress its necessary to fit the motherboard. The positions for the standoffs are taken straight off the board.

The GFX card is mocked up with the extender so I can get a look at where to mark the first bend and also to measure the height and where the standoffs for the GFX card will go.

Then the details are cut and filed.

I usually score the bend line to give a nice, tight bend, but with this thickness a score line wont be enough. I use my little trimmer with a 3 mm bit to make a trench 2 mm deep, then with a square file, make a ninety degree 'V'.

The bends are then started in the brake but completed on the bench by hand.

Then the standoffs and mobo refitted.

Then some standoffs are fitted to the GFX card to get a look. The card is higher than I hoped but I wanted to retain access to all the connectors under it. I may swap the standoffs for some rubber grommets and get a few mm back.

That's all I've done so far so I'll be back when some more works been done.

Last edited by Attila; 9th Dec 2012 at 08:37. Reason: title change
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 12:59   #2
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
He's at it again...

Nice thoughts there, flipping the card around that way by using an PCIe-extender.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 13:01   #3
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
YES YES YES YES YES.

Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 13:10   #4
Xye
Supermodder

Xye has yet to learn the way of the DremelXye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks pretty interesting. Hope your not planning on using any of the other slots though....
CNC Controller: E8500@3.3GHz (unable to push further)| Asus P5N-D|8800GTS|Barracuda 250Gb| Condensation (Case)
Xye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 13:15   #5
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

antiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I will be watching this one. Very promising start!
antiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 13:40   #6
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xye View Post
Looks pretty interesting. Hope your not planning on using any of the other slots though....
Why not? Just make use of more flex extenders.

Awesome beginning and love the block development, a little disappointed that you didn't go for anything more ambitious than a labyrinth, but your work can be considered nothing less than perfectionist.
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 14:25   #7
Gtek
Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Gtek is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Finally here... watching
Old 28th Feb 2011, 14:29   #8
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I didn't notice the name of the OP, so I just started thinking "Crikey, this guy is good, very similar to OldNewBy

Great to see you back at it again Attila, fantastic work on the bends.

Do those GPU extenders work that efficiently? I have no reason not to believe they do, but always been hesitant about them.
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 14:44   #9
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ZiiP] NaloaC View Post
Do those GPU extenders work that efficiently? I have no reason not to believe they do, but always been hesitant about them.
Ditto, I've had several thoughts on where they could be useful but have always hesitated for fear that they might bottleneck the components potential.

Same as everyone else though mate, I'm excited to see this develop
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 17:27   #10
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Oh, sh*t!
This will be awesome fun.
-Not for you, though. the control wiring is under the graphics card. Wiring that up is gonna suck, man.
Edit: D*mn. No 90 degree SATA ports, either. I learned you can't fold a SATA wire directly off the plug not to long ago. They break really easy there.

Make case/win kit for new case/win kit for new case... You've set up some kind of perpetual motion machine!
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 18:31   #11
nagyizom
Supermodder

nagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremelnagyizom has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I' ve already love it
nagyizom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 18:55   #12
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
MOAR!!!!
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 18:58   #13
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
Great start for once more brother, good luck with your built I will be watching!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 19:59   #14
Carl97
Sorry, for my bad english.

Carl97 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It will really nice! And can you speak in hungarian?
Carl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 20:18   #15
Kojak
Who loves ya baby

Kojak has yet to learn the way of the DremelKojak has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The main man's at it again lol, really like the psu out the way behind the motherboard Attila and this is the first time I have been able to see one of yours from the start so really looking forward to it coming together dude! Great stuff!
Old 28th Feb 2011, 21:01   #16
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Yes, the messiah of filing has finally returned! Well done attila, I love the standoff for the GPU, more greatness to come I hope... Subbed
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 21:45   #17
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Just one wish - knowing the thread will be flooded with praises and people crying for an update, could you please add the date of update to the topic each time ally you add something, so it's easy to see from the listing? Thanks!

Also just checked the water block stuff and am wondering if I should be crazy inspired or just leave the hobby, knowing I'll never make anything as pretty

Needless to say, keeping an eye on this.
Old 28th Feb 2011, 22:03   #18
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I must admit, I did get a little giddy when I saw the next project was starting Glad to see your entering the mad world of water cooling Attila
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 02:36   #19
k.3nny
Hypermodder

k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.k.3nny is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Attila Goes water

/follow !
k.3nny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 05:01   #20
Monkey Puzzle
Multimodder

Monkey Puzzle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great to see another project underway Atilla! Love your work, and not meaning to be a party-pooper, but why not simply use the blue cover block in your sketchup over the GPU to cover a koolance gpu-220 or Swiftech MCW80 gpu only block? I love your work, but I can't see a simple labyrinth/snake type design working as well as commercially available blocks.
Watercooling blocks have evolved away from those types of designs as they don't work very well compared to impingement plate & microfin/micropin blocks, and need high flow to perform well.

Tags
aluminium, oldnewby

View Mode