bit-tech.net

Old 5th Apr 2011, 05:52   #181
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Thanks. I'm still working but the parts that are being made now take a long, long time.
Yeah it does look a time consuming part but does look in awesome perfect shape mate .

The 1 thing I dislike most about only being happy with 99.9% perfection is it really kills a budget the time consumption doesn't bother me too much with me having plenty of free time but breaking a budget does & I've gone way over budget already, in fact so far over I'd much rather not add it all up .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 08:07   #182
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javerh View Post
How do you make those inner radiuses? I'm having a hard time trying trying to file a perfect circle consistent along the edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer2007 View Post
Don't want to speak for Atilla but doesn't he use round files?
Yes, the radii are made with a round file.

This file is tapered, but the greatest diameter of 7.8 mm is perfect for making these radii. This file is also fairly coarse, so it cuts very quickly. You need to always maintain perpendicularity to the surface you are filing in order to get a good finish. I think the position of the vice has a lot to do with being able to maintain square edges.

Here's a photo of the inside edges done.

Using a variety of files, any shape can be accurately made.

Old 5th Apr 2011, 08:15   #183
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Nice work showing step by step process. Looking good
craig - toyoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 08:49   #184
p0Pe
gief cake?

p0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for president
Still drooling!
p0Pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 09:27   #185
Tonton Buddy
Minimodder

Tonton Buddy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Woow, u're work realized with files is amazing!!!

What is the thickness of the alu' tray? I've the impression that is a little bit thick no?

Very very very good job Attila!!
Tonton Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 10:12   #186
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Chunky good looking panel, most definitely built to last I'd guess it's 10mm thick .
Old 5th Apr 2011, 10:41   #187
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig - toyoracer View Post
Nice work showing step by step process. Looking good
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
Still drooling!
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonton Buddy View Post
Woow, u're work realized with files is amazing!!!

What is the thickness of the alu' tray? I've the impression that is a little bit thick no?

Very very very good job Attila!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Chunky good looking panel, most definitely built to last I'd guess it's 10mm thick .
Thanks. Yeah these two parts together with the bottom tie plate are 8 mm. These parts need to be rigid and strong. The whole radiator assembly including the cover and the front of the shell with filter tray and intake grille will 'hang' off the front bulkhead. The rear part has to support the PSU 'hanging' below the central plate, all without flexing. Also, 8 mm is the minimum thickness that can be used for face to edge fixing with machine screws. Like Na'ir, this method of fixing will give a very strong and good looking method for making the main support structure.
Old 5th Apr 2011, 11:01   #188
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

So no need for any kind of bar frame supports, got it & yeah that sure does make for a super high quality clean look (the Attila trademark) love it .
Old 5th Apr 2011, 12:24   #189
riekmaharg2
has finished Blue Horizon

riekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelriekmaharg2 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sweet work Attilla , I bet that took a while due to the thickness of the alu.

Silent Fiberglass PC

Completed * Blue Horizon * - 2012
riekmaharg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 17:01   #190
llamafur
WaterCooled fool

llamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremelllamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremelllamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremelllamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremelllamafur has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Man, I don't have the patience to hand file aluminum parts. Your work is truly outstanding.
llamafur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2011, 20:20   #191
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Very, very nice work.

And, yeah - it's not too hard to file like that. Only, use the inside of your head, take your time, think about ways to create nice, straight edges, be quite critical as you go along and work slowly in order to be able to do quality checks on a regular basis.

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 10:38   #192
RonanH
mod-envious

RonanH has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome. The painstaking attention to detail and patience to achieve those oh so so clean lines is astounding
RonanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 11:13   #193
Attila
still thinking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
So no need for any kind of bar frame supports, got it & yeah that sure does make for a super high quality clean look (the Attila trademark) love it .
Thanks mate. Yeah I'm over the frame thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekmaharg2 View Post
Sweet work Attilla , I bet that took a while due to the thickness of the alu.
Thanks. Yes it all takes time. But it's worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamafur View Post
Man, I don't have the patience to hand file aluminum parts. Your work is truly outstanding.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
Very, very nice work.

And, yeah - it's not too hard to file like that. Only, use the inside of your head, take your time, think about ways to create nice, straight edges, be quite critical as you go along and work slowly in order to be able to do quality checks on a regular basis.
Haha, do I detect a note of sarcasm here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonanH View Post
Awesome. The painstaking attention to detail and patience to achieve those oh so so clean lines is astounding
Thank you.

OK, once the two 'bulkheads' are almost finished, a few things still need to be done. The front part is significantly narrower than the rear. So I need to centre the two and fix them together. This is because, even though I measured, cut and filed very carefully, they are still not the same height. Also, some of the projections you can see are where the central plate fits. These have to be exactly the same height.

Here you can see that one piece is about 0.5 mm or so too big. So this must be taken down to match the other part. In truth this is not really that critical but it's better to have them as close as possible.

Next, these are the projections (not all of them) that hold the central plate. these are also not the same height.

But to get in there, I need to 'mod' a file.

I've used this file on every project and it's very flat, so it will be perfect to even things up in here.

Here you can see the difference in height.

So carefully, these are all brought to same height, all the while continuously checking that the edges are square.

It gets progressively more time consuming as all the surfaces have to be brought down to last little 'low' spot.

OK, now the fun part where I can get a first glimpse of what the chassis will look like. Now I always like to take measurements directly from the work, so in order to find out how big to make the lower tie plate, I need to assemble the bulkheads to the central plate. Because the two bulkheads are different sizes, supporting the central plate and then 'hanging' the two ends of it is the best way to take the measurements.

And once the measurements are taken (and checked three times) the lower tie plate can be marked up on some 8 mm plate.

But I have to go and pick up Anika now. Back soon.
Old 7th Apr 2011, 11:25   #194
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Great workmanship! Where do you buy your files? Is the flat one a simple mill file or is it one of those specially made for alu?
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 11:29   #195
AnG3L
Ultimate Modder

AnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run CrysisAnG3L can run Crysis
The file God you are bro, period!
AnG3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 16:13   #196
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well Damn!!! That is how it's done? Next mod needs to be named Flawless Execution.

john
Old 7th Apr 2011, 17:11   #197
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
The cast iron set you have!
I would have been very hesitant to chop my favorite file up.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 17:31   #198
Nitrixflare
Building and engineering enthusiast

Nitrixflare has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah I wonder too, how did you cut up your file?
Nitrixflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 17:52   #199
PureSilver
E-tailer Tailor

PureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPureSilver is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrixflare View Post
Yeah I wonder too, how did you cut up your file?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
But to get in there, I need to 'mod' a file.

Looks like an angle grinder with a cutting disc to me. That should do the trick, even on tool steel.
PureSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 19:30   #200
SNiiPE_DoGG
Engineering The Extreme

SNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the DremelSNiiPE_DoGG has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Files are about 10 bucks a pop from mcmaster, I don't think its a travesty to cut the handle off of one

|CPU: PHII 955 BE @ 3.8ghz | GPU: 2 x 4890 XXX @ 950 | 8gb Crucial ballistix tracer DDR3 1600 CL8|
SNiiPE_DoGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium, oldnewby

View Mode