bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 1st Mar 2011, 05:27   #21
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Uuuh, it's Attila, which means automatic and instant sub.

One thing, though: aren't you going to cool the GFX memory chips and the GFX VRMs?

EDIT 1: Oh, and another thing: You could add some long standoffs (marked with red) on either side of the motherboard beneath the GFX plate and secure them with bolts (marked with green) - this will add lots of stability to the GFX plate and relieve almost all stress on those bends - which were nicely done, by the way.

EDIT 2: The long standoffs (which could be made from threaded rod, for allowing small adjustments up and down) could also be used for fixing the GFX plate at a 0 degrees angle to the motherboard tray - which would make it a lot easier to work with the I/O plate.

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks

Last edited by Nutman; 1st Mar 2011 at 06:27.
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 05:41   #22
craig - toyoracer
Supermodder

craig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysiscraig - toyoracer can run Crysis
Hello Attila, this is going to be a treat. I like the board(s) tray, very compact. This will be a fun build for you and for me to watch
craig - toyoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 07:41   #23
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
He's at it again...

Nice thoughts there, flipping the card around that way by using an PCIe-extender.
Thanks jrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
YES YES YES YES YES.

Ta mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xye View Post
Looks pretty interesting. Hope your not planning on using any of the other slots though....
Thanks. I could use all of them if I wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiHero View Post
I will be watching this one. Very promising start!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asura View Post
Why not? Just make use of more flex extenders.

Awesome beginning and love the block development, a little disappointed that you didn't go for anything more ambitious than a labyrinth, but your work can be considered nothing less than perfectionist.
Thanks. I'll answer the block design question below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
Finally here... watching
I'm glad you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ZiiP] NaloaC View Post
I didn't notice the name of the OP, so I just started thinking "Crikey, this guy is good, very similar to OldNewBy

Great to see you back at it again Attila, fantastic work on the bends.

Do those GPU extenders work that efficiently? I have no reason not to believe they do, but always been hesitant about them.
Thanks ziip. A couple of years ago I was looking into these things (extenders) I just cant remember why, but from the information I could glean, There is no or at least negligible, effect on the performance of the card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns View Post
Ditto, I've had several thoughts on where they could be useful but have always hesitated for fear that they might bottleneck the components potential.

Same as everyone else though mate, I'm excited to see this develop
Thanks. See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Oh, sh*t!
This will be awesome fun.
-Not for you, though. the control wiring is under the graphics card. Wiring that up is gonna suck, man.
Edit: D*mn. No 90 degree SATA ports, either. I learned you can't fold a SATA wire directly off the plug not to long ago. They break really easy there.

Make case/win kit for new case/win kit for new case... You've set up some kind of perpetual motion machine!
I think it will be fun also, for a while at least. I wouldn't wait till the whole shebang was all together before the cables were installed. 90 degree sata cables take care of that problem and everything else wont be difficult either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagyizom View Post
I' ve already love it
I hope you enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout21 View Post
MOAR!!!!
Soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnG3L View Post
Great start for once more brother, good luck with your built I will be watching!
Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl97 View Post
It will really nice! And can you speak in hungarian?
Thanks. I can speak but I cant read or write very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
The main man's at it again lol, really like the psu out the way behind the motherboard Attila and this is the first time I have been able to see one of yours from the start so really looking forward to it coming together dude! Great stuff!
Thanks mate, I hope you enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidMod-Southpaw View Post
Yes, the messiah of filing has finally returned! Well done attila, I love the standoff for the GPU, more greatness to come I hope... Subbed
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa View Post
Just one wish - knowing the thread will be flooded with praises and people crying for an update, could you please add the date of update to the topic each time ally you add something, so it's easy to see from the listing? Thanks!

Also just checked the water block stuff and am wondering if I should be crazy inspired or just leave the hobby, knowing I'll never make anything as pretty

Needless to say, keeping an eye on this.
Thanks. And will do. Will number the updates and include the date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
I must admit, I did get a little giddy when I saw the next project was starting Glad to see your entering the mad world of water cooling Attila
Thanks. I've been having lots of fun with this already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.3nny View Post
Attila Goes water

/follow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Puzzle View Post
Great to see another project underway Atilla! Love your work, and not meaning to be a party-pooper, but why not simply use the blue cover block in your sketchup over the GPU to cover a koolance gpu-220 or Swiftech MCW80 gpu only block? I love your work, but I can't see a simple labyrinth/snake type design working as well as commercially available blocks.
Watercooling blocks have evolved away from those types of designs as they don't work very well compared to impingement plate & microfin/micropin blocks, and need high flow to perform well.
Thanks. I did a lot of research for this and agree fully that the new designs are more efficient than the old LBTH designs. The two most important things on my mind while doing the research and noting all the different designs (commercial and amateur), were: No 1- does this work? No 2- can I make it? (I should also add that despite all the warnings about mixing metal in the loop, and not to use alu, I really wanted to use alu. ) If I couldn't make it, I moved onto the next design. I don't have the tooling to make the latest types of block, but I want to make them, as much as I can, myself.
The designs I've chosen work. They are not the latest or best but they will do the job. They will remove heat and importantly (for me at least) I can make them. Now if I make another WC project in the future, then I may be in a position to make something more cutting edge, for now I'm very happy with what I've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutman View Post
Uuuh, it's Attila, which means automatic and instant sub.

One thing, though: aren't you going to cool the GFX memory chips and the GFX VRMs?

EDIT 1: Oh, and another thing: You could add some long standoffs (marked with red) on either side of the motherboard beneath the GFX plate and secure them with bolts (marked with green) - this will add lots of stability to the GFX plate and relieve almost all stress on those bends - which were nicely done, by the way.

EDIT 2: The long standoffs (which could be made from threaded rod, for allowing small adjustments up and down) could also be used for fixing the GFX plate at a 0 degrees angle to the motherboard tray - which would make it a lot easier to work with the I/O plate.
Thanks Nutman. The memory and VRM's will be cooled via heatsink and airflow. All the advice I have received from various sources confirms that this will be OK. In fact, the stock cooling solution only has some alu sitting on top of the VRM's with a heap of gunk in between. As for the bracing of the GFX card support. See this pic of what I did before work today. This, after being screwed into place, will be very strong and rigid.

Old 1st Mar 2011, 09:36   #24
Nutman
Never stuck with stock@Hotmods.net

Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Nutman is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
As for the bracing of the GFX card support. See this pic of what I did before work today. This, after being screwed into place, will be very strong and rigid.

Looks very solid and a much neater solution than what I suggested - heavier, yes, but much nicer.

Project: Nutman - Sponsored by: Coolerkit - Specialtech - EK Waterblocks
Nutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 09:59   #25
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
OMG, I'm a sad geek I know it, but those v-slot bends are awesome, and I love the supports you made for it - they are cool too.

So have you had the hardware up and running yet with the slot extender?

More please kind sir.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 10:27   #26
stonedsurd
Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.stonedsurd is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
YES! He's at it again!
Old 1st Mar 2011, 10:38   #27
Monkey Puzzle
Multimodder

Monkey Puzzle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila View Post
Thanks. I did a lot of research for this and agree fully that the new designs are more efficient than the old LBTH designs. The two most important things on my mind while doing the research and noting all the different designs (commercial and amateur), were: No 1- does this work? No 2- can I make it? (I should also add that despite all the warnings about mixing metal in the loop, and not to use alu, I really wanted to use alu. ) If I couldn't make it, I moved onto the next design. I don't have the tooling to make the latest types of block, but I want to make them, as much as I can, myself.
The designs I've chosen work. They are not the latest or best but they will do the job. They will remove heat and importantly (for me at least) I can make them. Now if I make another WC project in the future, then I may be in a position to make something more cutting edge, for now I'm very happy with what I've done.
Fair enough, I'm sure the blocks will turn out awesome. I would strongly suggest you don't mix alluminium and copper though, and that if you do they're not in contact. Google "Swiftech Apogee GTX Corrosion" - copper + aluminium + scratch in anodised layer results in horrible galvanic corrosion like this, with the water turned into a weak battery acid and gunk going to your pump impeller.

Old 1st Mar 2011, 11:23   #28
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Yummy
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 11:42   #29
Xye
Supermodder

Xye has yet to learn the way of the DremelXye has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ewww. I wonder if you could electro platethe aluminium part at home with copper?
CNC Controller: E8500@3.3GHz (unable to push further)| Asus P5N-D|8800GTS|Barracuda 250Gb| Condensation (Case)
Xye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 13:14   #30
p0Pe
gief cake?

p0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for presidentp0Pe should be considered for president
No way! new mods from both boddaker, AND attila:P I can see my spare time disappear into the horizon

As the other says, just make the blocks out of pure alu, and dont mix copper into the loop, and it will kick ass
p0Pe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 14:37   #31
StonieX
Multimodder

StonieX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Subīd, canīt wait to see more

This waterblock looks disgusting!
StonieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 14:52   #32
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Wow been on here since yesterday & only just found out , I checked out what you were doing on your site & as usual was blown away with what you are doing Attila god of filing .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 14:59   #33
jprykov
Minimodder

jprykov has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i was thinking about altering the videocard connections and i didnt know they have those extenders in the market! im just amazed and suprised at your build! im going to follow this project for sure!!!! you made a fantastic job on the design and concept especially the title itself is superb! good luck on your build!

Last edited by jprykov; 1st Mar 2011 at 15:04.
jprykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 16:32   #34
Razer2007
Building Proxima

Razer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the DremelRazer2007 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
garrr. I wondered when you are gonna show off the waterblock. seen it on your website

Oh and dammit I'm subbed.
------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Razer2007; 1st Mar 2011 at 16:41.
Razer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 17:30   #35
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
@MonkeyPuzzle - That reminds me. I need to check the 'Toad. The temps are still good, but I know it's getting gross inside.
@Xye - I'm pretty sure you can't copper coat alu. It's been proven that plating fails over time anyway.

Nice bracket, and Holy cr*p! I just noticed the wall of aluminum behind the motherboard pic.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 17:49   #36
Attila
still thinking....

Attila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for presidentAttila should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig - toyoracer View Post
Hello Attila, this is going to be a treat. I like the board(s) tray, very compact. This will be a fun build for you and for me to watch
Hi Craig, welcome to bit-tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
OMG, I'm a sad geek I know it, but those v-slot bends are awesome, and I love the supports you made for it - they are cool too.

So have you had the hardware up and running yet with the slot extender?

More please kind sir.
Thanks. No I haven't had a chance to test the cable yet. You see the CPU that will go in this is currently in Na'ir al Saif and wont be coming out of that till the new one arrives (the i7 I won in the MOTY comp). An interesting fact., When I first looked at these extenders a couple of years back, an example 100 mm in length cost about US$90.00. The one I have here was $12.00 posted from ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedsurd View Post
YES! He's at it again!
Hi stone.

Quote:
Fair enough, I'm sure the blocks will turn out awesome. I would strongly suggest you don't mix alluminium and copper though, and that if you do they're not in contact. Google "Swiftech Apogee GTX Corrosion" - copper + aluminium + scratch in anodised layer results in horrible galvanic corrosion like this, with the water turned into a weak battery acid and gunk going to your pump impeller.

Wow! I've seen plenty of photo's of this sort of stuff but that's an extreme example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0Pe View Post
No way! new mods from both boddaker, AND attila:P I can see my spare time disappear into the horizon

As the other says, just make the blocks out of pure alu, and dont mix copper into the loop, and it will kick ass
Hi p0Pe. Yeah, I'm going to test what I've made first to see how it goes, I just need to make some more parts and buy some stuff as well (rad, pump yadayada). I'm expecting some corrosion but only a little. The good thing about the old design is that there are no small features to clog up, the smallest features in the loop will be in the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonieX View Post
Subīd, canīt wait to see more

This waterblock looks disgusting!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Wow been on here since yesterday & only just found out , I checked out what you were doing on your site & as usual was blown away with what you are doing Attila god of filing .
Hi Waynio. I'm glad you like my site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprykov View Post
i was thinking about altering the videocard connections and i didnt know they have those extenders in the market! im just amazed and suprised at your build! im going to follow this project for sure!!!! you made a fantastic job on the design and concept especially the title itself is superb! good luck on your build!
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer2007 View Post
garrr. I wondered when you are gonna show off the waterblock. seen it on your website

Oh and dammit I'm subbed.
Thanks mate.

Thanks cheaps. Don't you hate it when someone posts while your posting and then....oh never mind.
Old 1st Mar 2011, 18:48   #37
GCOFIELDD
Multimodder

GCOFIELDD has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hey Attila, on another forum I saw a guy making bends the way you are (filing a grove before bending) and he used solder paste in the joint. It looked cleaner when he was done because you could not see the break in the material…just a thought.
GCOFIELDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 19:58   #38
jhanlon303
The Keeper of History

jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jhanlon303 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Mom!!! Attila is back too. Dueling masters? Attila vs Bod. wear out the keyboard going back and forth.
Old 1st Mar 2011, 20:26   #39
Boscoe
"and she'll be foamin at the vag."

Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sub'd! Mad work!
Old 2nd Mar 2011, 06:39   #40
lobster_johnson
Fear the Claw of Justice!

lobster_johnson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is really exciting, Attila! I can't wait to see where this goes.

I'm a newbie when it comes to water cooling, but I found some info in an old book I bought the other day that you and others may be interested in. I'd love to see someone confirm this, even if it was written by an engineer.

From Cooling Techniques for Electronic Equipment, (1980) by Dave S. Steinberg:

Quote:
10.10 Liquid Coolants

Water is probably the best cooling liquid available in terms of density, viscosity, thermal conductivity, and specific heat. For good long term operation, distilled water that has been deionized should be used. When the temperature is expected to drop below freezing or when the surface temperature is expected to exceed 212°F (100°C), ethylene glycol should be added to the water. Ethylene glycol has a lower thermal conductivity than water, so its addition will degrade the thermal performance of the water. However, when both aluminum and copper are being used in the cooling circuit, the addition of ethylene glycol will prevent corrosion of the passages.
Good luck with the project!

-Lobster
lobster_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminium, oldnewby

View Mode