bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Feb 2011, 16:46   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
3DS hacked within 24 hours of Japanese launch

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...apanese-laun/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 16:47   #2
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Couldn't have happened to a better company. The price for that thing is just ludicrous.
Old 28th Feb 2011, 17:39   #3
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not good news. I am surprised the protection is so weak it happened this fast ... careless.

Companies try to keep their devices closed to stop this blatent abuse.

Edited: Alright Joe, don't take it out of context will you, you completely understood the point I was making. Didn't you? If you read my posts you know I don't advocate it.

Last edited by leveller; 28th Feb 2011 at 18:04. Reason: No. Do that again, it's a ban.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 17:47   #4
themax
Ultramodder

themax has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, at least the group doing it isn't parading it around as just wanting to run "homebrew" on it. Nintendo will never win the war against the R4 unfortunately. But, provided they can keep the updates locking out the R4s they can stay a head of the pack.
CoD4 Class "Ghost" - MP5 Silenced/ UAV Jammer/ Silent Step
Shhh be very very qwuiet....I'm hunting snipers....
themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 18:27   #5
jsheff
Multimodder

jsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremeljsheff has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm a primary school teacher, and before Christmas we had a 'toy day'. Of course, that meant approximately 20 DS Lites, XLs, etc, in my classroom. Of those, I'd say that about 5 or 6 had R4 carts. How widespread must the problem be for the DS amongst teens and older if a quarter of the 10 year olds in my class were pirates?

I'm guessing it's pretty difficult to lock down flash-based storage media or something. Does anyone know how easy the PSP Go is to crack? Maybe the only way to truely solve the problem lies in pure digital distribution?
jsheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 18:31   #6
dactone
dact-one

dactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
why not make the 3ds run older ds games anyway? making new tech backwards compatible is always a nice thing
Old 28th Feb 2011, 18:34   #7
Xyllian
Minimodder

Xyllian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Damn you can pirate the handheld market?

/sarcasm [ON] OFF

OMG THIS MARKET IS DEAD AND BROKEN JUST LIKE THE PC MARKET GAAAAAAH

/sarcasm ON [OFF]

Seriously developers, piracy is NOT an excuse to abandon the PC market.
Xyllian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 19:14   #8
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
It will get patched, then cracked.

Repeat.

The thing is so expensive that you're left with nothing to buy the games.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 20:29   #9
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
This can't be right
There 's no problem with piracy on consoles
/sarcasm off
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 20:51   #10
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheff View Post
I'm a primary school teacher, and before Christmas we had a 'toy day'. Of course, that meant approximately 20 DS Lites, XLs, etc, in my classroom. Of those, I'd say that about 5 or 6 had R4 carts. How widespread must the problem be for the DS amongst teens and older if a quarter of the 10 year olds in my class were pirates?

I'm guessing it's pretty difficult to lock down flash-based storage media or something. Does anyone know how easy the PSP Go is to crack? Maybe the only way to truely solve the problem lies in pure digital distribution?
The answers quite simple, if it's there someone will crack it or hack it.

Does anyone remember" the cult of the dead cow" from way back . I wonder what ever happened to them. I think some of them went to work for Microsoft...lol
bulldogjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2011, 23:11   #11
Gizmo1990
Multimodder

Gizmo1990 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Peoples comments here regarding the price are good fun. 200 a lot for a new portable console with 3d and all the other gubbins they've shoe horned in? I look forward to hearing what these people think when Sony release the price of the ngp..
Gizmo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 00:10   #12
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
isn't it illegal to own r4s in the uk?
Old 1st Mar 2011, 00:14   #13
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
just to sell them it is
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 06:42   #14
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
this is what happens when you call your handheld impossible to hack..
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 07:33   #15
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if the games cost 2 or 3 quid like the iphone we wouldn't bother.
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 07:33   #16
mpr
Multimodder

mpr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy
isn't it illegal to own r4s in the uk?
I hope not, I backup all my games on my R4 I have the physical games if I'm ever querried but it's so much easier when you deploy than carrying a bunch of game carts.
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 08:46   #17
veato
I should be working

veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.veato is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'm suprised to see a PC enthusiast forum complain about the price of the 3DS. My case and PSU alone cost more than a 3DS.

I dont think the 200 pre-orders are overly expensive anyway given that it's a new bit of tech and is trying something new with portable 3D gaming without glasses.
Old 1st Mar 2011, 13:56   #18
Repo
Supermodder

Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Repo is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
It's all about price point perception. Even at 200 I think they are still going to sell a shed load of these things; Nintendo are pretty good at low production costs so I'd expect to see a price drop during the summer and another in the autumn for the Christmas market.
Repo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 21:05   #19
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
While not entirely surprised, even for the world of the internet that's gorram fast.

As for each user having to edit their ds themselves, even if someone doesn't bring out some sort of way to do it automatically, I doubt it's much more complex than forwarding a port.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2011, 21:30   #20
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I hopes them scurvy pirates gets wood worm in their wooden legs, aahaar Jim lad.
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote