bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Mar 2011, 10:33   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
MS begins work on next Xbox

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...on-next-xbox/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 10:36   #2
chrismarkham1982
amateur destroyer/Head not well

chrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyanchrismarkham1982 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
still a good 3 or 4 years off then id imagine unless theyve already made some headway into their next design
hard or soft to suit your taste

Sony Vaio SVE1513Q1EB (I5 3230m, 8GB DDR3-1600, 128 SSD/750GB HDD) - Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1...now the Wife's...she dosn't seem to appreciate it - Samsung Galaxy Tab PRO 8.4
chrismarkham1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 10:39   #3
Cupboard
I'm not a modder.

Cupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the DremelCupboard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm amazed they've only just started!
Old 8th Mar 2011, 10:45   #4
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't think manufacturers ever stop R&D. When 360 and PS3 came out, I doubt the companies said "ok, let's not worry about the next console for the next 5/6 years". In fact I bet they were thinking about the next console as the 360 went in to final prototyping.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 10:48   #5
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
Will be exciting to see a new console, graphics have not really changed much as developers still work for the 360.

Will a new xbox be more powerful than the best home pc at the moment?
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 10:52   #6
hrp8600
Modder

hrp8600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Will a new xbox be more powerful than the best home pc at the moment?

Yes if its 3 or 4 years off
hrp8600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 10:53   #7
DarkFear
Supermodder

DarkFear has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Let's hope it'll be able to do AA.

That way when they port stuff to PC we might at least get AA support.

Assuming of course that people still develop stuff for PC by then...
DarkFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 11:17   #8
matee
Multimodder

matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.matee is definitely a rep cheat.
Silent and RROD-less is what I'm after. You reading this MS?
matee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 11:21   #9
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Wonderful... make it so they can swap out GFX cards so us PC gamers don't get bogged down in consolificationville please.

Or better yet, destroy all consoles! >.<
Old 8th Mar 2011, 12:05   #10
Kiytan
Shiny

Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Kiytan - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
bout damn time.
Kiytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 12:35   #11
Coldon
Multimodder

Coldon has yet to learn the way of the DremelColdon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Afaik, we'll be looking at a 2013 release date at the earliest. The next console should be SM5.0 (i.e. DX11 featureset) allowing for things like AA and full HD deferred rendering which on the current XBOX is impossible due to the small size of the framebuffer.

Looking forward to it!

i5 750 @ 4.2GHz, ASUS P7P55D Deluxe, 8GB DDR3 @ 1600, GTX 480 @ 900/2000
OCZ Vertex 2 10GB SSD, 3x Seagate 7200.12 1TB, ESI Maya44e...
Swiftech GTZ, Koolance VID-NX480, Swiftech MCR320, XSPC RS240, Swiftech MCP355, XSPC BayRes One
Coldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 13:37   #12
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good news for those of us who just bought the Slim, then. (I.e. me!) :P
Old 8th Mar 2011, 13:43   #13
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
What they need to do is start a game company, then after 10 years hire a hacker and level him up to level 5 with lots of training vacations. Then buy a job change manual from a door to door salesman, before changing him into a hardware engineer to work on it entirely on his own. If Game Dev Story taught me anything, that will only take an extra year!
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 13:49   #14
Th3Maverick
Multimodder

Th3Maverick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
What they need to do is start a game company, then after 10 years hire a hacker and level him up to level 5 with lots of training vacations. Then buy a job change manual from a door to door salesman, before changing him into a hardware engineer to work on it entirely on his own. If Game Dev Story taught me anything, that will only take an extra year!

HA! It's funny because I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing.
Old 8th Mar 2011, 13:50   #15
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
OnLive! and Steams Big Screen will surely add to the development direction and I wonder what the future consoles will look like and behave like with these in mind. Have we seen the back of the simple consoles of the last decade and they will now be more integrated with everything else in the home including PCs?
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 14:16   #16
themax
Ultramodder

themax has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
My pursuit of the coveted Game of the Year led to a 3 day binge of Game Dev Story.

And it's good to see MS working on the next console.
CoD4 Class "Ghost" - MP5 Silenced/ UAV Jammer/ Silent Step
Shhh be very very qwuiet....I'm hunting snipers....
themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 14:29   #17
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller View Post
OnLive! and Steams Big Screen will surely add to the development direction and I wonder what the future consoles will look like and behave like with these in mind. Have we seen the back of the simple consoles of the last decade and they will now be more integrated with everything else in the home including PCs?
Current consoles (at least the PS3 & Xbox) integrate in some form already. Both have Internet video streaming, the ability to browse another PC for music or video and both can already play physical media-based movies.

Frankly, I think the new console will probably just be a case of "bigger, better, faster" - after all, the max resolution is stuck at 1080p, so all that can really change are the numbers: faster processor, faster graphics, more detail, more AA, more storage.

As long as Microsoft see Sony as their main competitor, not Nintendo, we should be OK. I won't be interested if Microsoft try to make some kind of Wii-alike console.
Old 8th Mar 2011, 14:39   #18
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sounds about right that they should start now. Bear in mind that current technology or technology availble in 1 year time will probably be at its core. So the PC should still be at least a year or two more advanced, unless the PC industry decideds to take a holiday??

Lets say for example they use something of similar power to Sandy Bridge, Intel would probably be looking at releasing their next architechture a year after the next gen consoles come out or maybe sooner, who knows?

Still I'm sure it will be interesting to find out what happens.
Old 8th Mar 2011, 14:52   #19
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
1 year behind at 1/4 the cost we hope
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2011, 15:07   #20
paisa666
I WILL END YOU!!!

paisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysispaisa666 can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot View Post
Current consoles (at least the PS3 & Xbox) integrate in some form already. Both have Internet video streaming, the ability to browse another PC for music or video and both can already play physical media-based movies.

Frankly, I think the new console will probably just be a case of "bigger, better, faster" - after all, the max resolution is stuck at 1080p, so all that can really change are the numbers: faster processor, faster graphics, more detail, more AA, more storage.

As long as Microsoft see Sony as their main competitor, not Nintendo, we should be OK. I won't be interested if Microsoft try to make some kind of Wii-alike console.
Hmm... lets not forget even more PC-Like, games feature now more tweak options, more downloadable content, ISO like demo's downloadable directly from the company website, espect unique and never seen before bugs at the release date, virus and Haxxor's from around the world, Next Gen Expeience like you never imagined