bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th Mar 2011, 11:21   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Swiftech returns to air-cooling

Swiftech re-enters the air-cooling market with its Polaris 120 CPU cooler.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-air-coolers/1
Old 10th Mar 2011, 12:20   #2
mrbens
Supermodder

mrbens has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I should imagine there's more money to be made in air coolers as it's just the minority of PC users that liquid cool their PCs.
My SilverStone TJ07B PC: Haswell i5 4670K | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming mobo | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr 2GB | Seasonic X-Series 750W PSU | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | Crucial M225 128GB SSD | OCZ Solid 3 120GB SSD
Sound: Epiphany Acoustics' E-DAC & O2 Heahphone Amp | Little Dot MK III Tube Headphone Amp | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600ohm Headphones (music) | Onkyo HT-S3305B AV Receiver + 5.1 speakers (movies)
mrbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2011, 12:32   #3
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbens
I should imagine there's more money to be made in air coolers as it's just the minority of PC users that liquid cool their PCs.
True, but have you seen the price of waterblocks and rads; they cost a fortune. A decent setup costs 200+. I don't belive it costs that much to make the stuff so the markup must be alot.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2011, 12:43   #4
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Good move Swiftech. Your watercooling gear is subpar and the only reason people still buy it is because its cheap.
I havent bought Swiftech in years.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2011, 14:02   #5
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagib
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbens
True, but have you seen the price of waterblocks and rads; they cost a fortune. A decent setup costs 200+. I don't belive it costs that much to make the stuff so the markup must be alot.
They must produce those in smaller volumes so production costs likely to be quite high. Air cooling is very much the mass market product.
Old 10th Mar 2011, 14:12   #6
Hakuren
Multimodder

Hakuren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not really into watercooling myself (for VGA yes, CPU no - too cumbersome if you remove motherboard/CPU often), but I thought that Swiftech ceased to exist. So many blocks and stuff is in the discount bin. Most of shops is not even bothered with Swiftech at all.
Hakuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2011, 16:28   #7
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I bought one of those Thermaltake Frio's and there's a right old George Raft blowing up me middle wicket, how cold does it need to be.
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2011, 20:02   #8
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I completely forgot about Swiftech as an option when it came to water cooling lol. I guess I see why they are doing air now too
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2011, 03:24   #9
GRouchon
What's a Dremel?

GRouchon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Good move Swiftech. Your watercooling gear is subpar and the only reason people still buy it is because its cheap.
Subpar.. Like the Apogee XT, or the MCP35X ?

Gabe, CEO Swiftech
GRouchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2011, 04:01   #10
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.

Looking forward to a review
Old 11th Mar 2011, 09:17   #11
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Are you mad? Their CPU blocks have consistently been amongst the top three for thermal performance, often very restrictive it's true, but they've just brought out a new revision to address that in their latest block.
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2011, 12:53   #12
Floyd
Wire Twister

Floyd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by asura
Are you mad? Their CPU blocks have consistently been amongst the top three for thermal performance, often very restrictive it's true, but they've just brought out a new revision to address that in their latest block.
Not mad, just used other products in the watercooling world that are MUCH higher quality.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2011, 15:21   #13
bobwya
Custom PC Migrant

bobwya has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's Automatic, Systematic, Hydraumatic!!

Ha ha first to base...
bobwya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2011, 18:16   #14
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
Oh no denying there are better quality in terms of finish and appeal, I have a Ybris block, which doesn't perform very well (compared to the leaders) but the quality is undeniable, the word "subpar" is what I'm really arguing with as it's to vague in this respect.
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2011, 15:59   #15
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRouchon
Quote:
Subpar.. Like the Apogee XT, or the MCP35X ?

Gabe, CEO Swiftech
Oh Gabe, you card. It's good to see that you still take great pride in your product.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 06:15   #16
kzinti1
Multimodder

kzinti1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuren
Not really into watercooling myself (for VGA yes, CPU no - too cumbersome if you remove motherboard/CPU often), but I thought that Swiftech ceased to exist. So many blocks and stuff is in the discount bin. Most of shops is not even bothered with Swiftech at all.
What country do you come from? Here in the U.S. Swiftech is selling just fine. Their Apogee XT is the top-rated cpu waterblock even beating out Heatkillers. EVGA uses Swiftech waterblocks in their GeForce GTX 580 cheesecake Hydro Copper 2, the fastest video-card in the world.
kzinti1 is offline   Reply With Quote