1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build - £800 to spend

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buje, 12 Mar 2011.

1. buje

buje What's a Dremel?

I am going to be upgrading my computer. I have some bits of hardware I want to use in the new build too.

Budget: £800

Main uses of intended build: Gaming, general everyday use, some video encoding.

Parts required:CPU, Mobo, RAM, Video card, Case.

Previous build information (list details of parts):
    PSU - Corsair 650W TX Series PSU Link
    Asus Xonar D1 7.1 Soundcard - PCI Connection Lnk
    Seagate HDD

Monitor resolution: Just bought a Dell U2311H so 1920x1080

Storage requirements: Will use previous hdds and maybe upgrade to a SSD later on in the year. There will be 2 or 3 hdds in this build.

Will you be overclocking: yes

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): Not sure.

Extra information about desired system: I am keen to have a quiet system, my current system has a really noisey GPU fan and can be annoying. Ideally a cool system too although I expect a trade off between the two.

I wont be buying the system until there have been some reviews on the new R3 motherboards but I thought I would check that my PSU will be ok with this system and check from some experienced builders if there is anything I have missed.

The build has some thermal paste in the order. Is there anything else that I should get such as cable ties etc. to make building the system easier and tidier.

Order so far..

I am tempted to get 8GB of RAM as my current system has 3GB and when gaming most of it is used up. With 4GB I dont think that leaves too much room for other stuff in the background and alt tabbing out of games. Bit-tech seem to like 4GB though, will I get the same speeds if I use 8GB? How much are other people using?

Thanks in advance!

2. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

I would of recommended the very same build as i have just upgraded mine aswell. Personally though i would have gone for the Corsair H50/70 cooler. They are fantastic and depending on the type of fans you use very very quiet indeed ( using xilence 120mm ) .

I opted for the Antec P183 alought was really tempted by the R3 but personally i think i made the right choice and the little extra that it cost was very well spent.

I upgraded from Coasir Dominators ( c9) to the Vengance C8 and they are fantastic! *gig kit.

Also i do some video encoding too for our sim-racing site ( core-racing.co.uk) ...< thats a bump btw :) and found that using as SSD ( Vertex 2e ) has made my life SOOOOOO much easier! Its a joy to make a vid now rather than a pain in the arse.

Just my 2 cents, im sure you will not be dissapointed with the 2500k and the Asus board, its a great setup!

3. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

that looks good to me. Personally I would go for 8GB as it means less paging if you use a number of programs at once and it will leave you 2 slots free if you decide to upgrade in the future. Also remember that the price of ram will go up after this sad earthquake so you may as wll take advantage of current prices

4. chomps1891

chomps1891 What's a Dremel?

I have 12 gb of dominators in triple channel, windows seems to use about 1.5 gb > 2.5 gb just standing still only steam running, when benchmarking it always helps to have more overhead.

More memory is king.

btw X58 is not dead, just something to consider

Tags: