bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Tech Support

Old 14th Mar 2011, 15:32   #1
Ljs
Limited Edition

Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.Ljs is definitely a rep cheat.
Distances from router to phone socket...

Quick question for someone in the know:

I'm going to move my BT Homehub (yeah yeah, I know) from the living room to the room my computer is in so I can plug it directly into my computer. The phone socket however, is on the other side of the room to my computer.

I would like the router on my desk so I can plug the phone into it too... Is there any max distance the router can be from the phone outlet in the wall (using an extension cable)?

I have had a search around on the forums and google but didn't really find an answer.

Thanks...
Ljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2011, 16:13   #2
noizdaemon666
I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

noizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyannoizdaemon666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
The problem with extending the cable from your phone line is, the longer it is, the slower the internet goes. It'd be better to extend the ethernet cable to your computer and leave your home hub where it is.

However, from what you've said I'm guessing you're only moving it about <5m?

If so, that should be alright.

I think at least.

Networking isn't my best area lol

Corsair Graphite 230T ¦ Athlon X4 760K @ 4.8GHz ¦ ASRock A88X Extreme6+ ¦ Corsair H100 ¦ 8GB Patriot 1600 ¦ No SSD ¦ 250GB HDD ¦ MSI 6770 1GB @ 950/1200 ¦ OCZ 700W
noizdaemon666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2011, 17:44   #3
tehBoris
Hypermodder

tehBoris can run CrysistehBoris can run CrysistehBoris can run CrysistehBoris can run CrysistehBoris can run CrysistehBoris can run CrysistehBoris can run CrysistehBoris can run Crysis
Depends upon how far you are from your phone exchange and how strong the signal at the master socket is. If you are less then 2 miles from your phone exchange you are most likely going to be fine.
tehBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 07:28   #4
slothy89
MicroModder

slothy89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehBoris View Post
Depends upon how far you are from your phone exchange and how strong the signal at the master socket is. If you are less then 2 miles from your phone exchange you are most likely going to be fine.
further to this, I have a 30m extension cord from the socket to the router, and it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. I am within about 1-2km from my exchange so signal strength isn't an issue.

(it's 30m long as it's the one we had lying around. Should really buy a 5m one lol)

Just make sure theres nothing that could cause electrical interference near the cabling.
Case : Zalman Z9+ (filled with Xigmatek XLF fans 120mm&140mm)
Storage : 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III
slothy89 is offline   Reply With Quote