bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Mar 2011, 10:26   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Ubisoft announces Rocksmith guitar game

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-guitar-game/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 10:30   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Intriguing. I'd quite like to see how this will work.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 10:32   #3
Tyr
Multimodder

Tyr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Now this I'd be interested in!
Old 15th Mar 2011, 10:33   #4
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Woot! A great reason to get my guitar out again!

Now, will they be bringing this to the PC?
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 10:44   #5
BentAnat
Software Dev

BentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for presidentBentAnat should be considered for president
125GBP for a real guitar and a game? I'd like to see that happen... but I have my doubts...
Old 15th Mar 2011, 10:51   #6
The_Jonas
\m/

The_Jonas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Let's hope for some metal. Also... A drum kit expansion?
Old 15th Mar 2011, 11:11   #7
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Pfft you would have thought it would at least come with a free air guitar for your Kinect.

On a serious note, very interesting to see what they can do with this but can't see it selling.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 11:24   #8
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Errmm.. rock band 3, anyone? They are already doing this with their Pro-Mode and Fender are due to release a proper electric Stratocaster which will work with the game.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 11:25   #9
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
now this i would happily purchase and play and learn. Never saw the point of previous rockband sorta games aside from party toy.
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 12:10   #10
justicefornone
Minimodder

justicefornone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As someone who plays ze real Axe Rockband was great to be able to rock out with your friends who AREN'T musos, and good fun to play around with musos. It's a great idea but as Eddtox said, RB3 has the Pro-mode stuff.

And 125 for an *ahem* Gibson guitar and game?? Yeaaaaah that's not gonna happen unless it's made of 2% MDF and 98% air!
justicefornone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 12:16   #11
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.

Last edited by Landy_Ed; 26th Apr 2011 at 21:56.
Landy_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 13:04   #12
Greentrident
Multimodder

Greentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the DremelGreentrident has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
But will it go up to 11?
Greentrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 13:28   #13
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

eddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremeleddtox has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Ed View Post
nonsense. you're hardly going to get a handmade guitar experience for £125, but with regards to playability & quality try googling yamaha, peavey, even harley benton stuff around the £100 mark is playable for this level.

Just because you wouldn't take one onstage at wembley arena or into studio doesn't mean it wouldn't be usable.
I have serious doubts about the quality of the experience if they are only going to use a standard guitar output to control the game. How will they determine whether I'm playing an E on the 6th, 5th or 4th string, just from the acoustic signature? Probably not the best example, but I doubt they will be able to detect the input as well as the Midi Squier Strat that Fender is making for Rockband 3.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 13:39   #14
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddtox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Ed View Post
nonsense. you're hardly going to get a handmade guitar experience for £125, but with regards to playability & quality try googling yamaha, peavey, even harley benton stuff around the £100 mark is playable for this level.

Just because you wouldn't take one onstage at wembley arena or into studio doesn't mean it wouldn't be usable.
I have serious doubts about the quality of the experience if they are only going to use a standard guitar output to control the game. How will they determine whether I'm playing an E on the 6th, 5th or 4th string, just from the acoustic signature? Probably not the best example, but I doubt they will be able to detect the input as well as the Midi Squier Strat that Fender is making for Rockband 3.
Arguably, does it matter if you play an E on the 6th, 5th or 4th string? It's the same note and sounds pretty much the same.

I'm interested by this - although I'm sure single notes will be much easier for the system to distinguish than chords. How on earth would it work out what strings I was playing with a full six string open chord?
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 13:48   #15
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
I found that when using midi pickups you had to be exact with your notes or they didn't register properly, this means that any subtle nuances and personal vibrato styles that mya be part of your style as a player would interfere with the sound you were trying to generat.

Hopefully it will come with an audio based pickup or even be able to plug straight into the line in with a looser range of what is 'correct' or not.
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Logitech G19 - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 14:08   #16
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greentrident View Post
But will it go up to 11?
Hehe, yeah I love that picture.

This could be good, if only to get more people into music. You can't beat being able to actually play an instrument in RL.
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 14:09   #17
eddtox
Homo Interneticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
Arguably, does it matter if you play an E on the 6th, 5th or 4th string? It's the same note and sounds pretty much the same.

I'm interested by this - although I'm sure single notes will be much easier for the system to distinguish than chords. How on earth would it work out what strings I was playing with a full six string open chord?
Which is why I said it might not be a very good example (I'm a novice guitarist), but I worry about the usefulness of merely taking an audio feed from the guitar and trying to interpret it well enough to be used in a game.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 14:13   #18
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
They will have to find a way of analysing the fundamental notes so that no matter what kind of guitar, whether it's a telecaster or a les paul, that it can detect the individual notes accurately.

I presume if you plugged straight in then the game would emulate the sound in terms of distortion and effects for you.

Latency will also be an issue, unless i switch my X-FI to Audio creation mode then there is quite a delay when going from line in to speakers.
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Logitech G19 - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.

Last edited by Deders; 15th Mar 2011 at 15:31.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 15:22   #19
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Hexaphonic pickups would work great for something like this and allow for string & note detection, but I can't imagine a guitar with hexaphonic pickups hitting the pricepoint mentioned here.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 18:29   #20
////\oo/\\\\
Hypermodder

////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!////\oo/\\\\ - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul View Post
It matters a great deal if you are actually learning to play the instrument as an E note on the three different strings is in wildly differnent posistions, and so would mean that you couldn't play E minor open without using the open 6th string for the E for instance.

It would also cause major problems for solos if you suddenly had to leap up the fretboard to play a note that could have been played much more easily on the next string over.