bit-tech.net

Old 15th Mar 2011, 14:44   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
OCZ buys Indilinx

$32 million deal sees the two companies link up and share resources.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...-of-indilinx/1
Old 15th Mar 2011, 16:18   #2
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.RichCreedy is definitely a rep cheat.
why buy something your not going to use, other than cause possible problems for other business' in the future?
Old 15th Mar 2011, 16:23   #3
coolius
Multimodder

coolius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Of course the other question is whether other SSD manufacturers will continue to use Indilinx chips, thereby funding their competitor, or whether they will all switch to SandForce and others for their controllers?
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 17:40   #4
Marvin-HHGTTG
Marvin. I don't care what ^ says...

Marvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I suspect they will develop their own controller to their own specifications, otherwise it's a lost investment as OCZ's competitors won't use the controllers, and if OCZ don't use them, what's the point?
Marvin-HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 18:59   #5
kzinti1
Multimodder

kzinti1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just $32 million? I wish I'd known they were going to sell out so cheaply! Then again, that was just cash mentioned. Not all the other perks involved. I'm looking at YOU, Steve Jobs! Worry.
kzinti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2011, 19:42   #6
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i'm sure something interesting will come of this, lets hope they design a super fast controller. That would be a big boost to their own SSD business and others if they sell it on.
Old 15th Mar 2011, 19:54   #7
HourBeforeDawn
a.k.a KazeModz

HourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the DremelHourBeforeDawn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy
why buy something your not going to use, other than cause possible problems for other business' in the future?
to make more money selling the tech to other SSD and what not companies.
DimasTech Test Bench Black ICE Triple 120 Rad Dual Bay Res/Pump DD Fill Port & Res D-Tek FuZion 2 CPU Block ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe Mobo AMD Phenom II 3ghz @ 4ghz 8gb DDR2-1100 Memory (2) AMD 6870 XFire (2) WD Black 640gb Raid 0 (2) 1.5TB SEAGATE Blu-Ray/HD DVD Drive ASUS XONAR DX2 30" DOUBLESIGHT LCD (2) 23" ASUS LCD ZALMAN 8 FAN CONTROLLER (4) NOCTUA P12 (2) NOCTUA P14 1000W ZALMAN PSU WINDOWS 7 PRO 64
HourBeforeDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2011, 05:50   #8
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Could see lower SSD prices from OCZ if they are going to be making their own controllers... This could be interesting.
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2011, 06:59   #9
Altron
LIKE A BAUCE!!!!

Altron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the DremelAltron has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They've got to be planning their own controller. Makes no sense to outsource it to Sandforce if they can make a comparable one in-house. Indilux isn't exactly the hottest controller on the market, but as the article said, there are several patents OCZ wants. Could be they have something huge up their sleeve that they don't want to pay licensing for. Combined with them cutting off the RAM department, I'd expect something big out of them this year.

e^i(pi)+1=0
Altron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2011, 07:10   #10
Tulatin
The Froggy Poster

Tulatin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altron
They've got to be planning their own controller. Makes no sense to outsource it to Sandforce if they can make a comparable one in-house. Indilux isn't exactly the hottest controller on the market, but as the article said, there are several patents OCZ wants. Could be they have something huge up their sleeve that they don't want to pay licensing for. Combined with them cutting off the RAM department, I'd expect something big out of them this year.
They might also have a pretty solid enterprise controller in the works, which any boffin knows has the potential to be a much bigger marketplace than selling drives dirt cheap and one at a time to the consumer.
Tulatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2011, 12:43   #11
Bindibadgi
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.Bindibadgi is definitely a rep cheat.
This is massive, massive news and Tulatin has hit the nail on the head wrg to the server area. Vertical integration will make sure OCZ has all the components in place and its own schedule to make sure their SSDs work absolutely. It may not be the absolute fastest for enterprise but they need the QUALITY angle to override everything in order to sell.

There's also other factors with Sandforce I shouldn't comment on now. Either way, OCZ is in a prime position in the market - only Intel has a better one because it actually makes the Flash and FABs its own parts too.
Bindibadgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2011, 12:54   #12
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi View Post
There's also other factors with Sandforce I shouldn't comment on now.
Good or bad?
Old 16th Mar 2011, 15:13   #13
sWW
Multimodder

sWW has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpAceman
Could see lower SSD prices from OCZ if they are going to be making their own controllers... This could be interesting.
I also think this will be interesting. I've been holding out for a noticeable price drop!