bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 17th Mar 2011, 07:52   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Lian Li PC-V2120 Review

Lian Li's PC-V2120 luxury case costs more than some full PCs; can it possibly be worth the price?

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...v2120-review/1
Old 17th Mar 2011, 08:16   #2
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well, this case is not really meant to be air cooled. I mean look at the top - you see three removable 12cm spots. Which means - 360 radiator. Put the rest of the water cooling kit somewhere in the case, and you got an internal 360 radiator with water cooling loop.
Old 17th Mar 2011, 08:40   #3
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
doh
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 08:54   #4
warejon9
Multimodder

warejon9 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Slight typo on testing page, as you've got antec 100 at the top. Nice case though
warejon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 09:35   #5
t5kcannon
Modder

t5kcannon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Interesting review.

Any chance of including the Lian Li PC-V1020 in your case charts? You reviewed the case here:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...v1020-review/1
t5kcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 09:37   #6
t5kcannon
Modder

t5kcannon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by t5kcannon
Interesting review.

Any chance of including the Lian Li PC-V1020 in your case charts? You reviewed the case here:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...v1020-review/1
Scrub that! I see you have? My eyes >.>
t5kcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 09:44   #7
asura
jack of all trades

asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.asura is definitely a rep cheat.
"Raising the height of the case is what Lian Li calls a VGA pillar bar; a strut of aluminium that can be used to support the weight of larger graphics cards. However, the fittings for doing this are fiddly and the fact that the pillar bar intrudes into the case reducing CPU cooler clearance considerably means that its a waste of aluminium. "

Unless you're watercooling and have 7 full cover GPU blocks... not like I could ever afford, or need that, but still, there are those who can and do (well, say they do )
asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 12:03   #8
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
I like the style (also I like doors), but the size and price are just jokes.

Thanks.
Old 17th Mar 2011, 12:08   #9
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I'm sorry how much!?
Old 17th Mar 2011, 12:21   #10
tigertop1
Modder

tigertop1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The price is horrendous! You can pick up an NZXT Phantom case for 1/3 of that and it is a better design overall.
tigertop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 12:45   #11
faugusztin

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@tigertop1: you know, plastic&steel vs aluminum... For you who don't mind the difference in materials, it is really not worth it.

Oh wait, you missed the main reason this case exists. Please, put your glasses on, do your math and count the number of PCI slots this case handles. Then look at NZXT Phantom and tell me where do you put your EVGA SR-2 in it. Because this case is designed for EVGA SR-2, not your average ATX board.
Old 17th Mar 2011, 12:55   #12
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1
I'm sorry how much!?
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 12:57   #13
Zoon
Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Zoon is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The title on the top of page 3 reads "Antec One Hundred Cooling Performance"

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...v2120-review/3
Old 17th Mar 2011, 13:57   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Can we get a retest with an sr-2 board + water cooling setup and the 4 gpus people are gonna stick in it instead of this stupid test setup that proves nothing as no one will spend 400 to put a 100 motherboard in it.

Please retest with correct hardware
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 14:04   #15
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
And what comparison would be useful with all that enormous hardware which only fits in one case?

With plain-old ATX hardware it's a useful comparison on its raw air-cooling performance, if it can't cool a single CPU system decently what difference does piling it full of gear make?
Old 17th Mar 2011, 14:04   #16
Fingers66
Kiwi in London

Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.Fingers66 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Can we get a retest with an sr-2 board + water cooling setup and the 4 gpus people are gonna stick in it instead of this stupid test setup that proves nothing as no one will spend 400 to put a 100 motherboard in it.

Do you seriously expect bit-tech to go to all that cost & effort for one case test?
NAS 1:[Synology DS211j] NAS 2:[OpenMediaVault]
Fingers66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 14:10   #17
faugusztin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
With plain-old ATX hardware it's a useful comparison on its raw air-cooling performance, if it can't cool a single CPU system decently what difference does piling it full of gear make?
You know, there are lots of cases which suck as air-cooling cases, but excel as watercooling cases. This case is exactly this - a perfect water cooling case with place for 360 rad at top and lots of space for the rest of the water cooling kit - all internal, no external radiators needed.
Old 17th Mar 2011, 15:36   #18
urobulos
Supermodder

urobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremelurobulos has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

Do you seriously expect bit-tech to go to all that cost & effort for one case test?
Although the tone is inappropriate, he does have a point. Either do a test for a 400 case with hardware that would justify the cost or just don't bother. Btw I think that it is probably too much effort to put an SR2 and a 3-4 GPU setup with waterloops for testing what is a very niche product. And I don't think anyone has the time or money to do that anyway. But testing it as a standard aircooling case is not what this case was designed for I think.
urobulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 16:01   #19
tigertop1
Modder

tigertop1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
You know, there are lots of cases which suck as air-cooling cases, but excel as watercooling cases. This case is exactly this - a perfect water cooling case with place for 360 rad at top and lots of space for the rest of the water cooling kit - all internal, no external radiators needed.
If this is such a great case for watercooling what is it doing with 5 big fans???!!! 'Cos no one is going to use it in an aircooling role with so meany cheaper and better aircool cases around
tigertop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2011, 16:13   #20
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Bit tech test methods are well known i like them in a standard atx case

When your reviewing something that is designed for sr2 duel CPU and many gpus all of which will end up under water cooling then you expect a bit more effort than the bog standard air tests of which prove it's a poor air cooling case most enthusiast on this site could of told you as much without the review.

Due to the huge gaps between the fans and the hardware

There is less than 5 e atx cases that you can buy in the uk many resort to building there own or importing big case mods which can cost more than this.

Value comparison to what please is there another competing product in the uk or reviewed by this site. But tech have reviewed the sr2 I'd hazard a be they still have it even if they just tested it under air we would see a better extract of what is been sold
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote