bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:28   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Firefox 4 shipping on 22nd March

The next big overhaul of Mozilla's popular Firefox, launches on 22nd March.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...n-22nd-march/1

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:38   #2
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love the increased speed in Firefox 4, it's a whole world away from 3.6. I have been using Firefox 4 so long that sometimes I forget most people still use the old and slow 3.6. Other than speed Firefox has proper script blocking with the NoScript extension, something other browsers attempt to implement but never do nearly as well.
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:14   #3
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
I haven't noticed an increase in performance over previous versions. Not to mention it still loads pretty slow the first time I launch it.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 13:34   #4
Ninja_182
Enginerd!

Ninja_182 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd View Post
I haven't noticed an increase in performance over previous versions. Not to mention it still loads pretty slow the first time I launch it.
My findings exactly. Same speed once it's going but slower to launch. Will have to wait for the final release I think.

flickr?
Ninja_182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 13:46   #5
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

And more customization to be made to un-Chromify the UI.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 14:07   #6
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by impar
Greetings!

And more customization to be made to un-Chromify the UI.
I bloody hope so - I haven't tried the Beta but I've seen the screenshots and I really hope the interface can be changed to a 'Classic' Firefox 2/3-mode.
It's annoying how subject everyday software is to these interface fashions and design fads.
Whether or not the new design is 'better' is something up for debate and probably quite subjective, but the change to the tabs, title and toolbars is not to my taste at all.

Also, I'm baffled by people talking of browser speed and performance, and always have been when it comes to new browser releases. When people talk of 4 being faster than 3 or Firefox faster than IE, what are they referring to? Java performance?
As a non-web developer I always feel that articles on new browsers and their comments dwell far too much on something that really makes so little appreciable difference to the end user's experience compared to issues like standards compliance, features and interface design.
Especially when, as people point out, Firefox still takes its sweet bloody time opening from cold - Something I had hoped would've been fixed a couple of years ago.

Have I missed something in that regard, or is it just fanboys fighting over microsecond differences in javascript execution? Someone please explain.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 14:12   #7
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I've just moved to chrome as the FF4 beta gets slower booting with every update.

I'll miss Firefox though...
Old 18th Mar 2011, 14:39   #8
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
IE9 working fantastic. Don't need FF.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 14:43   #9
mjm25
Supermodder

mjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmjm25 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Already running it here... autoupdate! Shame my graphics card is dying a death though, means i can't rely on the hardware acceleration
Old 18th Mar 2011, 14:45   #10
itrush07
Multimodder

itrush07 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Hmm, looks like everybody's waiting for this thing.. can't wait to try it with my new pc.. Cool!
itrush07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 15:23   #11
Hakuren
Multimodder

Hakuren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrush07
Hmm, looks like everybody's waiting for this thing.. can't wait to try it with my new pc.. Cool!
Not waiting for it at all. In fact I couldn't care less about FF4. Any browser which want to look like Chrome is dead for me. Forever. Best add-on for such browsers is installed on every MS Windows PC and is called "Add/Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features". Works like a charm.
Hakuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 15:30   #12
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakuren View Post
Best add-on for such browsers is...
Compat Menu 2
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ompact-menu-2/
Old 18th Mar 2011, 16:01   #13
Denis_iii
Ultramodder

Denis_iii has yet to learn the way of the DremelDenis_iii has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm looooving Firefox 4 since beta 10 and RC just 2 things
- starting to type an URL offers looong urls to exact sub-pages for previous visited webpages rather then said webpages homepage (opera does this awesomely)
- does not remember and highlight EZTV download links once used (IE8 + FF3 did this )
Will compare to IE9 tonight.
Denis_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 16:07   #14
Amsalpedalb
Minimodder

Amsalpedalb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't understand the obsession developers seem to have with hiding the menu bar. This has been going on for some time now and it annoys the crap out of me. Why must they hide things I want to use.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 16:42   #15
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
All this concentration on speed whilst page loading is still limited by the network and stupid javascript adverts.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 16:52   #16
Hazchem
Multimodder

Hazchem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Firefox 4 shipping on 22nd March"?

Neat, will they send me a copy on disk?

Didn't think so. I think "releasing/released" is a better choice of word here.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 17:00   #17
Zurechial
Elitist

Zurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run CrysisZurechial can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsalpedalb View Post
I don't understand the obsession developers seem to have with hiding the menu bar. This has been going on for some time now and it annoys the crap out of me. Why must they hide things I want to use.
This!
I think the prime examples of this ridiculous fad are the 'Ribbon' interface Microsoft forced onto newer versions of Office and apps like Paint; and the menu-hiding defaults of Media Player.
Why are companies suddenly trashing established, familiar interface conventions for no apparent benefit to the end-user?
If I want those extra 20px of space to view a page I'll switch to full-screen mode, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
All this concentration on speed whilst page loading is still limited by the network and stupid javascript adverts.
And also this!
This is precisely why I asked above what difference it makes (within reason) how well the browsers perform in these unrealistic speed benchmarks, when they seem to do nothing but let the likes of Mozilla, Opera and Google swing their Java e-peen around in the 'browser wars'.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 17:43   #18
Doctor Hades
Dreamer

Doctor Hades has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have Firefox 4.0 RC installed at the moment and prefer it over IE9, simply because it remembers all my usernames and passwords for the sites I visit (plus has a handy Password Manager) unlike IE9. I've yet to come across any incompatibility issues with site layouts either, again unlike IE9 (even with Compatibility Mode enabled)! IE9 does load web pages faster though and I like that it has a Save As option for downloads. There's also the DivX HD option for YouTube in IE9 which is currently disabled in Firefox due to incompatibilities.

Seems like neither is perfect really so I'll likely continue to use both.
Doctor Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 18:21   #19
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
Just cannot wait!

Lets hope is security too, and got better compatibility.
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 04:16   #20
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Still using the most current 3.6 version, gonna be nice to finally try something new.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote