bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:09   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Volition: 'We want to make games worth stealing'

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...worth-steali/1

I was Bit-tech's Games Editor. Now I'm freelance. Find me at:

www.joemartinwords.com

@joethreepwood on Twitter
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:13   #2
liratheal
Sharing is caring

liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.liratheal is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
...Hot damn, someone said something sane about piracy, while also being a dev house?
Focus RS Mk1; Build number 1506
liratheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:34   #3
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
The only thing that gets me annoyed about the industry and piracy figures, is the automatic assumption that every copy downloaded is a lost sale.....its not.

Only a small percentage are actual lost sales, the vast majority are people downloading it because they are simply curious to 'have a look' and because they can, and would simply let the game pass them by if they had to actually pay for it anyway.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:44   #4
DriftCarl
Supermodder

DriftCarl has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Indeed, it isnt a lost sale 99% of the time.
Some people i know have hundreds of albums on their PC, and hundreds of games. If every one of those was a "lost sale" then they would have had to earn about £250k a year just to pay for the stuff they have on their PC. When in reality, most people buy games that are worth buying.
Nowadays I buy games that are easy to aquire, like steam or blizzard digital downloads. Personally I dont even bother with most other games now because the reveiws are usually terrible, I learned my lesson when I bought FF13 without reading reviews.

So really the dev studios need to make games that are worth buying, and stop spending time trying to put stupid DRM on them. Just develop a good game, with a great storyline, PC worth graphics and bug free gameplay. I guarantee that will sell in the truck load.
DriftCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:47   #5
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
The only thing that gets me annoyed about the industry and piracy figures, is the automatic assumption that every copy downloaded is a lost sale.....its not.

Only a small percentage are actual lost sales, the vast majority are people downloading it because they are simply curious to 'have a look' and because they can, and would simply let the game pass them by if they had to actually pay for it anyway.
Exactly mate, after the abismal games that have come out the past two years... MW2, BlackOps, CnC4... I think we're entitled to have a snoop when these developers don't even bother with demo's anymore. Of course, I don't pirate games at all... just isn't my thing. I'd rather check it out at a friends, or hear reviews before hammering it.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 11:53   #6
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run Crysis
Oi, guys, no need to defend piracy, this isn't one of those articles. Volition are being(pretending to be?) cool about it.

Nice to hear that their future PC versions will be in-house though, their outsourced SR2 port didn't work too well for a lot of people. I'm glad they learned their lesson, even though i had no problems with the PC version.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:09   #7
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
Oi, guys, no need to defend piracy, this isn't one of those articles. Volition are being(pretending to be?) cool about it.

Nice to hear that their future PC versions will be in-house though, their outsourced SR2 port didn't work too well for a lot of people. I'm glad they learned their lesson, even though i had no problems with the PC version.
Agree with all of this.
I see the "try before you buy" or "I wouldn't buy it anyway" argument as being totally beside the point.
In no other industry would you get away with this. If you nicked a car and then said "its OK, I would never have bought one anyway" its unlikely to help when Plod knocks on your door.

I like volition's stance, that its more important to make a good game which turns up on torrent sites, than make a bad game that nobody wants anyway. And I particularly like the way they are maintaining an interest in the PC as a platform.
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:10   #8
SMIFFYDUDE
Supermodders on my D

SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.SMIFFYDUDE is definitely a rep cheat.
Love "99%" statistics. Always trustworthy scientific analysis gone into them. Well at least 0.001% of the time.
Cooler Master HAF 932 | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | i7 930@4.1 | Corsair H50 | 12GB OCZ PC3-12800 Gold | x2 Palit GTX 560Ti 2GB | XFX Pro 750W XXX | HP LP2475w | Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1 | CM Storm Inferno | Logitech G27 | Windows 7 Home Premium

SMIFFYDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:25   #9
Jim
Ineptimodder

Jim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for president
SR2 on the PC was absolutely terrible.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:26   #10
Podge4
Oi, whats your game?

Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Podge4 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
From quite a few people i've spoke to i have found that maybe more people have at least 1 chipped console rather than playing pirated pc games. weather its because its easier to play it once the console is chipped i don't know, maybe its also because they don't know how to get the games. it would seem its easier to go to a guy in a pub and get 10 games for a few quid.

Take Crysis 2. I've just pre-ordered the Limited Edition for pc for 25, now i think 25 for what would be a AAA game is a good price, compared to the 40 for a console version. this article suggests that "despite PC development being difficult," why is it then that pc games can be anywhere upto about 50% cheaper than their console counterpart. Surely you would charge more to compensate for that extra difficulty.
WinTV-HVR1300, BenQ E2200HD, Win 8.1 Pro x64
Podge4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:31   #11
BigDaddy600
What's a Dremel?

BigDaddy600 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by do_it_anyway View Post
If you nicked a car and then said "its OK, I would never have bought one anyway" its unlikely to help when Plod knocks on your door..
But that's not the same is it? For a start you can test drive most if not all cars before you buy and stealing a car is actually stealing. Now if you made a copy of the original car at no expense and took that..
BigDaddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:40   #12
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
agree, piracy figures are meaningless. may of those downloads are from people who already own the game. just it is difficult to obtain it through legit means. i bet Steamwork games are less pirated for the very simple reason that it's so easy to use Steam to download those games.

Last edited by wuyanxu; 18th Mar 2011 at 13:42. Reason: edited to clean up the post.
wuyanxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:41   #13
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run CrysisDragunovHUN can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge4
this article suggests that "despite PC development being difficult," why is it then that pc games can be anywhere upto about 50% cheaper than their console counterpart. Surely you would charge more to compensate for that extra difficulty.
I'm sure there are other market demographic factors, but publishers also have to pay a license fee to release something on a console.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 12:57   #14
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Landy_Ed - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!

Last edited by Landy_Ed; 26th Apr 2011 at 21:46.
Landy_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 13:03   #15
NiHiLiST
New-born car whore

NiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy600
Quote:
Originally Posted by do_it_anyway View Post
If you nicked a car and then said "its OK, I would never have bought one anyway" its unlikely to help when Plod knocks on your door..
But that's not the same is it? For a start you can test drive most if not all cars before you buy and stealing a car is actually stealing. Now if you made a copy of the original car at no expense and took that..
Exactly. To tackle piracy, everyone needs to stop treating intellectual property like physical property, the comparison in most situations is ludicrous.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 13:22   #16
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
If you want to make a game worth stealing make Freespace 3

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 13:26   #17
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Statements like this from devs always make me laugh. They puff out their chest and make it sound like they're standing up for the PC gamer. Truth be told, they're making a PC port because their publisher has allowed them to make a PC port.

If THQ had said no to a PC port due to reasons such as very high piracy rates on single player focused games, his statement would have towed that company line instead.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 13:41   #18
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just want Volition to make Freespace 3.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 13:51   #19
itrush07
Multimodder

itrush07 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
*this person has been banned for advocating piracy (actually in this case advocating outright theft) in accordance with the bit-tech forum rules.*

Last edited by Claave; 18th Mar 2011 at 14:11. Reason: bit-tech does not advocate piracy
itrush07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 14:14   #20
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHiLiST View Post
Exactly. To tackle piracy, everyone needs to stop treating intellectual property like physical property, the comparison in most situations is ludicrous.
I think the point actually being made is that all games should have a demo, or at least a limited-time free-play mode. That means you can legally give a game a try and base your purchase on your own experience.

Might be I've read the original post wrong, but the above seems a perfectly reasonable demand from gamers to games studios.

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote