bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 18th Mar 2011, 17:37   #1
Claave
You Rebel scum

Claave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the DremelClaave has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The Rise of the Hobby Developer

Developers around the world have submitted over 61,000 games made in Game Maker to the YoYo Games site since 2007. The rate at which they are being submitted is that, when I started writing and researching this article, it was closer to 60,900. A new game is submitted every 20 minutes....

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...bby-developer/

Win more things with CPC and bit-tech
Claave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 18:19   #2
Orionche

I think the widespread of internet in general has helped this because you can get the tools for making a game (legally or otherwise) and you can get help from countless of programming communities that are out there if you're stuck somewhere.

Nice article, sorta boosted my confidence to think more about an idea I had. Still a long way till i try and learn C, lol.
Old 18th Mar 2011, 18:58   #3
Landy_Ed
Ultramodder

Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.Landy_Ed is definitely a rep cheat.

Last edited by Landy_Ed; 26th Apr 2011 at 22:48.
Landy_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2011, 19:38   #4
Ending Credits
Bunned

Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Ending Credits is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd class myself as a hobby developer but I'm still on the C++ path to making a game although admittedly I am using a graphics/physics engine so that's a lot of coding I don't need to worry about. That's also another thing in favour of hobby development today, UDK and the Crysis engine are both free to use providing you're not making any money from your game and stuff like Ogre3D and (until recently) Torque means that first-time devs don't have to worry about all the complicated stuff and can jump right into what makes a game a game.
Ending Credits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 01:59   #5
BurningFeetMan
Multimodder

BurningFeetMan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I code with DarkBASIC Professional, which can be found at The Game Creators website;

www.thegamecreators.com

Pretty fun stuff.
BurningFeetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2011, 11:38   #6
yakyb
i hate the person above me

yakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysisyakyb can run Crysis
I have been in the process of making a game for some time i still think i'm 3 months off completion (Minimum) will be hoping that i sell a few copies but really hoping to Learn more than anything
Old 21st Mar 2011, 02:48   #7
Von Lazuli
I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Von Lazuli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Most of the things I make are not really polished enough for public consumption...

That said, we (my two-man games-development team...) did release a little design pretentiousness a few months back. We released a 1D game on TIGSource called LINE (linky)

As part of a separate team, I was working on a neat exploration and puzzle game called Cosmic Roots. Due to a falling out with our main engine programmer it was never taken to completion, but we did get a trailer up (linky)

I wouldn't really classify myself as a hobby developer as I am a trained programmer and designer. I just don't work in those streams and I make things on the side, the other part of my team works in software development though, so we perhaps have a leg up...

Laz
Old 21st Mar 2011, 13:30   #8
NiHiLiST
New-born car whore

NiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run CrysisNiHiLiST can run Crysis
Does anyone else miss the days of the Shoot 'Em Up Construction Kit? And later Klik & Play, and The Games Factory?

Good times.
Old 24th Mar 2011, 14:56   #9
sofalover
Minimodder

sofalover has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
AMOS
sofalover is offline   Reply With Quote