bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Hardware

Old 19th Mar 2011, 13:58   #1
djzic
Bokehlicious!

djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
SR-2 Megabuild

OK. My dad's work need a super system. They were going to buy 10 Dell Core i7 machines (double what they need, for redundancy) but I suggested an SR-2 build. They need low storage, high clock rate and good cooling. I suggested this:

Any suggestions?

Cam: Canon 400D | 35mm f/2.8 | Helios 44-2
djzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 14:18   #2
andrew8200m
I *am* a Dremel

andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.andrew8200m is definitely a rep cheat.
A little curious as to what is requiring the 2x 1500W PSUs... Given we power 3x580s and 2x 5680s off of a single corsair AX1200 with ease...
andrew8200m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 14:19   #3
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Let them buy the Dells.

Seriously do you want to be the free tech support for a 8k build, when the company is all the down time losing more money because of something you spec'd?
Old 19th Mar 2011, 14:22   #4
djzic
Bokehlicious!

djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8200m View Post
A little curious as to what is requiring the 2x 1500W PSUs... Given we power 3x580s and 2x 5680s off of a single corsair AX1200 with ease...
Good point, I'll change the spec to 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa View Post
Let them buy the Dells.

Seriously do you want to be the free tech support for a 8k build, when the company is all the down time losing more money because of something you spec'd?
What's that supposed to mean?

Old 19th Mar 2011, 14:33   #5
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
You make someone buy something, something goes wrong with the thing he bought and who is he going to blame?

Dells tend to come with good warranties. Good warranty is pretty damn important when the system is used for actual work.

Ofcourse I don't know anything about the details, what the system is for, what kind of company it is etc, etc, etc. It all just sounds like something I would stay very, very far away from.

Peace.
Old 19th Mar 2011, 14:41   #6
djzic
Bokehlicious!

I wouldn't be doing any support, My dad's head of the IT department and he was telling me how he's fed up of Dells and having to have things constantly replaced/repaired (they always have at least 10 broken) so 1 quality build like that, overclocked will be better than 10 pieces of s***. Basically I know more than my dad about the best hardware etc. so he asked me for advice. I see where you're coming from though, thanks.

Old 19th Mar 2011, 14:57   #7
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.bulldogjeff is definitely a rep cheat.
I say go for it. Are you getting paid...lol. Do a project log as well, would be an interesting build.

I would love to building systems like this all day.

For reliability sake I wouldn't bother overclocking it though.
bulldogjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 15:01   #8
padrejones2001
Puppy Love

padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And this is going to be used for what now?
Old 19th Mar 2011, 15:12   #9
djzic
Bokehlicious!

I'm not sure exactly what it's for, all I was told was it's extremely CPU strenuous and needs high frequency RAM, and not much storage. Oh and bulldogjeff I was fully intending on doing a worklog :P
and why would I want payment for doing something that awesome? As long as I get to play Crysis on it that's enough payment :P

Old 19th Mar 2011, 15:21   #10
padrejones2001
Puppy Love

padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.padrejones2001 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Seems to me that a lot of money is being wasted. Why do you need a GTX580? Or an SSD? Or two 1500w PSUs? None of these things are going to increase performance.
Old 19th Mar 2011, 15:27   #11
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
If the company needs to run multiples CPU intensive proccess then getting a farm of 10*2600k would offer several times the processing power.
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 16:00   #12
padrejones2001
Puppy Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucgoo View Post
If the company needs to run multiples CPU intensive proccess then getting a farm of 10*2600k would offer several times the processing power.
And likely still cost less.
Old 19th Mar 2011, 16:01   #13
sb1991
Supermodder

sb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsb1991 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Get a proper server/workstation case (eg. a Supermicro) and definitely don't watercool. Consider ECC RAM too, and the graphics card is probably unsuitable.
sb1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 16:03   #14
rowin4kicks
a man walked into a bar ...

rowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for president
probably at most you are goning to need a 570 or 560 GTX, 580 is overkill and a waste of power and money.

Watercooling is a bad idea! Just stick decent coolers on the CPUs and ensure you have good airflow throughout the case!
Old 19th Mar 2011, 16:08   #15
moody89
Multimodder

moody89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmoody89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Agree with all of the above. The key to a proper work PC is stability. This means watercooling and overclocking are out of the question. As has been mentioned ECC RAM would also be highly recommended.

I would also consider what Jipa said about allowing them to purchase the Dells. If anything does go wrong, then the finger will immediately be turned your way. Furthermore, as a company the warranty (and tech support) will be of great importance to them which is something you won't be able to offer 24/7.

The system seems to imbalanced. If you're building a system for someone then you need to know what the system will be used for so you can choose the important components correctly. Try and find this out and we can offer more specific advice. Hope this helps and good luck!
moody89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 16:16   #16
rowin4kicks
a man walked into a bar ...

rowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for presidentrowin4kicks should be considered for president

Here we go, trimmed about 2000 off your build with little to no impact to the end user. It obv just a little guide, personaly i would get dell to provide the machines or use the Scan 3XS System to build the workstation, atleast you get support and quality components that way!
Old 19th Mar 2011, 16:30   #17
murraynt
I Mod, Therefore I Own

murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.murraynt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Scan do pre overclocked SR-2 Bundles which come with a warrenty to back it up.

Is the GFX just for display or is there GPGU computing?
All a 580/480/570 ETC is going to do is use unnecessary power, add unnecessary heat, and add another another thing to worry about.
Why don't you just stick a passive cooled GFX?

i can't see the point of the PCI SSD.
This seems like the type of rig that will be left on and only shut down at holidays?
Might just be worth getting a cheap SSD as they are less likely to drive failure without requiring server quality HDD's.

I have to agree with the EEC ram.

Just remember socket 2011 is arriving soon.

A farm of 2600Ks would be alot faster and cheaper.
I5 2500K @ 4.8ghz l MSI GD53l 8GB corsair 1600mhz l Asus 5870 v2 NZXT Phantom Red l Zalman X10 Quiet l 60GB Crucial M4l F3 1TB Spinner l X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty l 700Watt Thermaltake l Samsung IPS231 l
Steam: murraynt
murraynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 16:31   #18
djzic
Bokehlicious!

I've just learned that they have an account with Dell so they get a discount , they're getting a Dell. Oh well...

Old 19th Mar 2011, 16:34   #19
Mister_Tad
Serious about coffee

Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.Mister_Tad is definitely a rep cheat.
What about form factor? I.E. rackmount or tower?

SSDs and 1TB HDDs sound like they're excess to requirements, as does any graphics card over 30 - what is this machine going to be doing?

You can pick up a 24-core Dell R910 or 4x 8-core R510s at list price for not far off the cost of your first proposal, and nobody pays list for Dell server servers.

EDIT: Started posting this before the above post - clairvoyant or what??
Mister_Tad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2011, 18:22   #20
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.Bloody_Pete is definitely a rep cheat.
Why did noone touch on the 6(!!!) D5's???? As one, possibly 2, would be enough me thinks.

Not going to happen now anyways.
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, 128GB Crucial M4, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awesome, kick-ass, sr-2