1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide DIY Guide: Carbon Fiber Mouse with 3M DI-NOC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mnpctech, 24 Mar 2011.

1. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

3M's new DI–NOC carbon fiber film that we've started offering as one of the Prizes for bit-tech's MOTM. It can only be described as a "synthetic textile" It's a flexible and lightweight carbon fiber vinyl film that looks like the real thing, only less expensive. It can be installed on both flat and curved surfaces. Textured to the touch, DI–NOC is ideal for the inside and outside of a computer chassis, keyboards, headsets, mice, or even your mobile phone. It's 8.3 mil thick and is very durable, so it withstands outdoor elements. You can apply it on your bicycle, car, or whatever you think deserves.

Tools & Supplies Needed
    [​IMG]

3M DI-NOC Black carbon fiber film
    Phillips Screw Driver
    Xacto Knife
    Heat Gun
    Scissors
    Loctite brand Super Glue

[​IMG]
    I'm using a Steel Series "IKARI" gaming mouse for this tutorial, but you can use your own mouse.

[​IMG]
    1' x 1' sheet of 3M DI–NOC carbon fiber film should cover eight PC gaming mice, but we're only doing one.</p>

[​IMG]
    To remove shell, you need to remove the three screws that are hidden under the front and rear skid pads. Use Xacto knife to start the peel off. You will glue the skid pads back on later.

[​IMG]
    The three screws that hold on the shell are revealed.

[​IMG]
    The center shell is held on with two plastic tabs beneath it and one tiny screw.

[​IMG]
    Use a Scissors to cut the film about a half inch larger than the mouse shell.

[​IMG]
    I'm using a Heat Gun with it's own pedestal. You can find Heat Guns on Ebay or local Home Improvement stores from $20 - $100

[​IMG]
    3M Dic-NOC film requires very little heat before it becomes stretchable, to fit over curved surfaces. My Heat Gun was on it's LOWEST temperature setting.

[​IMG]
    Stretch the warmed film over the mouse, one portion at a time. If you get a wrinkle, then peel off the film, warm it again and re-apply. It may take some practice!

[​IMG]
    Once the film is applied evenly, use a Scissors or Xacto knife to remove the extra film around the edges of the mouse.

[​IMG]
    Using Xacto knife to clean up the edges of film on the mouse. Now you can re-assemble your mouse shell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Re-attaching the two skid pads.

[​IMG]
    3M DI-NOC carbon fiber film does look AND feel like the real thing!

[​IMG]
    I'm amazed at how durable it is. I could crumple up the film, heat it up, and it became a usable sheet again! After finishing the mouse, I looked around the shop to see what else would be fun to cover with DI-NOC. It would be fun to cover an entire computer case, laptop cover or game console controller. I'll just leave it to your imagination!​

Last edited: 3 Sep 2014
  2. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

I decided to mod my Logitech MX1000 as it was starting to look tatty with the finish wearing away on the top etc I used some of the carbon fibre film and think it looks good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body has been painted with satin black paint. The carbon film is easy to use but can be fiddly to get it just right.

Oh if you've not got a heat gun, a hair drier is more than enough heat to work with the film.

3. mnpctech

That looks really nice Prometheus :thumb:

4. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Wow this looks really simple to do! Might have to give it a try.

5. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

3M's Di-Noc film is brilliant, basically any carbon skin will be made out of it, seen it used to cover cars, bikes etc.

6. mnpctech

It's a synthetic textile, so it's amazingly real looking and feeling. It has a 12 year lifespan. We applied it to a friend's Jetta hood last spring and it still looks like new.

[​IMG]

7. chris@cmd

chris@cmd What's a Dremel?

i love this stuff, have done loads of things with it...

There is a 3M product called Primer 94 that is well worth using as its an adhesion promotor.

worthwhile on anything that is handled a lot like mice etc, i did an xbox 360 controller with it and without the primer 94 it only lasted a few weeks before ruffling around the edges.

the primer 94 makes it stay there perfectly.

8. mnpctech

Good suggestion, will keep it in mind chris. The film was applied to the car hood above w/o any primer, it's been fine since last Spring.

9. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

The texture looks really good

10. chris@cmd

chris@cmd What's a Dremel?

i have also done the roof on my car and its stood up to 3 feet of snow, and everything i can throw at it. Painted surfaces are the best for it.

You mainly need the primer 94 say on some bare plastic with maybe a light texture.

or on small areas where handling loads will be at their highest or where mainly there is a cut edge that cannot be wrapped underneath.

I have tried also what looked to be a gloss version of the 3m stuff from a company called grafitip.. sure looked nice but was super brittle and didnt have half the versatility of the 3m product... there is simply nothing better than the 3m dinoc thats out in the market at the moment.

I just want to get hold of the other colours like white and bronze that they do, but after ordering 40 meters of the last roll it will be a while :)

i only wish that they did it in 1500mm wide rolls rather than the 1200mm rolls as there are so many cars that you cannot wrap the hood without join lines such as the Lexus IS200

cchr likes this.
  11. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

Used this on my Saitek Cyborg v3 mouse because where my fingers sit on the mouse it turned the matt black plastic shiny and looked awful...

Will get some pictures up because it makes it look so good.

Also planning to use it on a future project case log. What's the biggest sheet you sell bill?

12. Stem83

I covered my saitek cyborg with this as where my fingers rest on the mouse buttons it had turned the matt black plastic shiny so that needed to be covered.

Has totally turned out beautiful and will knock up some pics soon.
    Also planning on using some on an up and coming case project. What size sheets do you stock bill?

13. cchr

cchr Minimodder

my vaio fw series lid got a bit scratched and i used 3m di-noc film to cover it up, carving the logo out with the x-acto knife was a bit terrifying, but it came out perfect see the result below.
    [​IMG]

14. mnpctech

There has been some customer inquiries, but nothing final yet. Sizes of Di-Noc Film Sheets

15. mnpctech

16. Stem83

Here's my mouse..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry only got mobile pics at the moment as the camera's got no batteries.

BTW love your work bill and Co @ MNPCTech. Dont stop!! :thumb:

17. mnpctech

Excellent job Stem83! :thumb: Thank you for posting the pics :rock:

18. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

:jawdrop:

That's perfect

19. Stem83

sorry about the double post, was tired and thought i was goin crazy and didnt post the 1st time...:duh:

My plan is to cover the entire internals of my case with this stuff, im probably going to go through alot of it as i will want to try and keep the patterns direction the same... how probable do you think that idea sounds bill? or does it sound like a headache?

20. cchr

cchr Minimodder

Thanks, it needed a lot of patience and courage to put a knife on my beloved vaio, but it came out well.
    Only bad thing is that there are two small places on the sides where it didnt stick well but its barely noticeable

Tags: