bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Mar 2011, 08:35   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Apple will be larger than IBM, says analyst

It's the apps that keep coming people back to Apple products, says research company.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...growth-thank/1
Old 25th Mar 2011, 08:56   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Just go away and die Apple. I'm already bored of you.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 09:56   #3
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yes I'm not Apples biggest supporter here but I do fear for the direction of the company after Steve Jobs.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:00   #4
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
so when will Orange rise up and do a commercial like this, to Apple:

i'll get my coat.
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:07   #5
Boogle
Supermodder

Boogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run CrysisBoogle can run Crysis
The app store adds a lot of revenue for Apple, but the profit it brings in is tiny. They make all their actual money from selling the hardware.
Boogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:16   #6
danielg
Apple, Apps Suck

danielg has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IBM? LOL!
What about Exxon Mobile?
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:36   #7
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As much as i don't like how apple operate they are a good business and know how to market their products well.

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:48   #8
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogle
The app store adds a lot of revenue for Apple, but the profit it brings in is tiny. They make all their actual money from selling the hardware.
Woah! Stop right there. Apple takes 30% of every sale on the App Store, including through the new subscriptions features. As these are third party apps that have cost Apple nothing to produce (other than perhaps the relatively small cost of validating apps and adding them to the app store) and the marginal cost of delivering an app is effectively nil, that 30% is basically pure profit.

If you use an iPad as an e-reader (as many do), then Apple gets 30% of every book you buy and of the subscription price of any newspapers and magazines you receive through it. Not sure what the figure is but they also take a healthy chunk of every song you buy, every movie you buy or rent, and 30% of every app. For a company that isn't actually responsible for generating any of this content, that's a frankly amazing deal.

In case you hadn't noticed, Apple recently announced it has delivered over *10 BILLION* apps. In the space of - what? - a couple of years? And the rate of app downloads is only going to increase as the installed base of iOS devices grows and the library of apps expands. Granted many of the 10 billion apps "sold" will have been free, but Apple could sell iPhones and iPads at breakeven or even at a loss and still make a fortune out of the whole ecosystem, thanks to music, video, books and apps sold through the iTunes Store.
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:49   #9
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Apple will grow in the mobile app department and at sometime will ease out/level out the mobile app department, while another (*cough *cough *Android), continues to grow aswell, that's how it always been, just add a few die hard fanatics to apple and you are set, that's the only thing diff,lol
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:49   #10
mclean007
Officious Bystander

mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mclean007 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg
IBM? LOL!
What about Exxon Mobile?
Um, I dunno, I give up. What about Exxon Mobil? What's your point?
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:51   #11
mclean007
Officious Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz
Just go away and die Apple. I'm already bored of you.
Wow! Nice vitriol. If you're bored of Apple, just ignore it and its products. Lots of people (me included) happen to rather like them.
Old 25th Mar 2011, 10:57   #12
danielg
Apple, Apps Suck

danielg has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg
IBM? LOL!
What about Exxon Mobile?
Um, I dunno, I give up. What about Exxon Mobil? What's your point?
They could be larger apple
danielg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 11:02   #13
antiHero
ReliXmas time!

antiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the DremelantiHero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Wow! Nice vitriol. If you're bored of Apple, just ignore it and its products. Lots of people (me included) happen to rather like them.
Problem is you cant ignore them. The whole "In your Face!!!" marketing makes it very hard to not get pissed of by them. Plus all apple hipsters in my Uni keep reminding me why I dislike apple.
antiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 11:20   #14
beckoner
What's a Dremel?

beckoner has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiHero
Problem is you cant ignore them. The whole "In your Face!!!" marketing makes it very hard to not get pissed of by them. Plus all apple hipsters in my Uni keep reminding me why I dislike apple.
From this, am I to take it you don't like the kind of people who use Apple products and then tell everyone around them how good they are? Would this be a subconscious reaction to products that enable tech-illiterates to operate in an increasingly complex environment, leaving the tech-warrior feeling that his edge is somehow being blunted?
beckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 11:38   #15
AcidJiles
Supermodder

AcidJiles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well at least we have been given warning that the end is nigh.
AcidJiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 11:43   #16
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
How about STFU and ignore it. The only person your annoying is yourself. I don't have any apple stuff, purely due to functionality, my notebook does so much more. But I have to admit, the iPad and iPhone are polished products and their marketing is brilliant.

For 95% of computer users, they're great products.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 11:46   #17
AcidJiles
Supermodder

AcidJiles has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
How about STFU and ignore it. The only person your annoying is yourself. I don't have any apple stuff, purely due to functionality, my notebook does so much more. But I have to admit, the iPad and iPhone are polished products and their marketing is brilliant.

For 95% of computer users, they're great products.
rofl at that response
AcidJiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 11:52   #18
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean007 View Post
Woah! Stop right there. Apple takes 30% of every sale on the App Store, including through the new subscriptions features. As these are third party apps that have cost Apple nothing to produce (other than perhaps the relatively small cost of validating apps and adding them to the app store) and the marginal cost of delivering an app is effectively nil, that 30% is basically pure profit.

If you use an iPad as an e-reader (as many do), then Apple gets 30% of every book you buy and of the subscription price of any newspapers and magazines you receive through it. Not sure what the figure is but they also take a healthy chunk of every song you buy, every movie you buy or rent, and 30% of every app. For a company that isn't actually responsible for generating any of this content, that's a frankly amazing deal.

In case you hadn't noticed, Apple recently announced it has delivered over *10 BILLION* apps. In the space of - what? - a couple of years? And the rate of app downloads is only going to increase as the installed base of iOS devices grows and the library of apps expands. Granted many of the 10 billion apps "sold" will have been free, but Apple could sell iPhones and iPads at breakeven or even at a loss and still make a fortune out of the whole ecosystem, thanks to music, video, books and apps sold through the iTunes Store.
So all the server infrastructure, and the 10th's if not 100th's of people it takes to keep the Appstore going on a day to day basis are working for free?

Wait wut?
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 12:42   #19
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.

I would its anything but "in your face" its subtle,simplistic and clever marketing. People like apple for different reasons i love my macbook pro and think its one of the best investments i have made. I love the OS it looks good and its unix based dont know what else i would ask for?

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 12:57   #20
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_123

I would its anything but "in your face" its subtle,simplistic and clever marketing. People like apple for different reasons i love my macbook pro and think its one of the best investments i have made. I love the OS it looks good and its unix based dont know what else i would ask for?
Spot on, Apple's marketing people are very good at what they do. Look at the ipad 2 release in the UK today. That goes on sale at 5pm this evening rather than first thing in the morning. That gives all day for the queues to build up to massive proportions. To the sort of levels where the media will be reporting on how many people are 'lining up to get their hands on the new iPad 2'.

The result, massive amounts of additional, country-wide marketing that Apple have not had to pay a penny for
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is offline   Reply With Quote