bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Mar 2011, 18:28   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Firefox 4 downloaded 24 million times in three days

Firefox 4 downloads trounce those of Internet Explorer 9.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2011/03...-times-in-th/1
Old 25th Mar 2011, 18:33   #2
Oggyb
Mutant

Oggyb has yet to learn the way of the DremelOggyb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I saw the tweet. . . something like 5000 per minute at its peak!

About the same rate as the record breaking FF3 iirc.
Oggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 18:48   #3
Puzzu
Multimodder

Puzzu has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I've personally moved to Chrome 18 months back and not looked back.

Something about just typing in the address bar and running a search got me hooked, that said IE does it now as well as I still use IE for "live stuff" but the main Browser is Chrome, might give Firefox another go to see how it shapes up, which reminds me still need to finish off the Skin I was making.
Puzzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 18:53   #4
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Everyone I've spoken to so far has moved the tabs back to where they belong.
Other than that it seems okay. So far I've only had it running on a really slow internet connection, so I can't comment on it's performance.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 18:53   #5
blink
stay cold

blink has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The internet is a cesspool of invasive tracking bugs, information gathering scripts and malware. Unless something significant changes, I'll never use anything but Firefox and the addons available which at least attempt to fend off that garbage.

This page alone has at least 15 unwanted (as far as I am concerned) scripts and bugs that are being blocked by my setup.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 18:59   #6
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
i am using ie9
Old 25th Mar 2011, 19:01   #7
Er-El
Supermodder

Er-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the DremelEr-El has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCreedy View Post
i am using ie9
How is it?
Er-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 19:10   #8
Orionche

My previous version of FF has been sluggish for the last 4-5 months and I was a bit skeptical 4.0 will only make it even slower. I was quite surprised the thing loaded twice as fast...

Only downside is most addons don't support 4.0 yet. Not fussed much about that.

Oh, and... those godawful tabs above the bookmark tab is one incredibly shitty idea. One of the reasons I very rarely use Chrome.
Old 25th Mar 2011, 19:12   #9
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
it's ok actually, it does a good job at blocking stuff, without add ons, breaks facebook games, which isn't a bad thing, lol,

when i say breaks facebook games, it blocks cross site scripting by default, you can run them in compatability mode, and it works for a while, but then blocks again

some webpaages that are designed for ie sometimes need compatability mode, since ie9 is now standards based.
Old 25th Mar 2011, 19:20   #10
sausages
Banned

sausages has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Firefox is my favourite, and has been for the last 4 or 5 years or something. I may use Chrome some day when it gets better addons.
sausages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 19:27   #11
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Firefox 4 has worked without a hitch so far, I like how fast and simple it is. The only thing I wish I could change would be when I open the add-ons window in Firefox 3.6 a little window would pop-up containing all of my add-ons and a little find updates button. In Firefox 4 it opens up a new page that takes up my whole screen and as someone who only has two add-ons, flash and silverlight, I would rather have a small window instead of a huge one. I miss the little window, anyone know how to get it back or is it lost forever in version 4?
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 19:42   #12
The_Beast
I like wood ಠ_ಠ

The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!The_Beast - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I've heard ie9 on windows 7 is pretty good but all my stuff is on FF so with FF I shall stay
- i7 3770k - MSI Z77A-GD65 - EVGA GTX 570 - 8Gb G.Skill Sniper (1.25v) - Fractal R3 Black - Corsair H50 - Corsair 750HX - Samsung 830 128Gb SSD - 6 Samsung F4EG 2TB - 2 WD Black 1TB - 2 WD Black 750GB - Dell UltraSharp U2410 - WASD V1 Custom - IBM Model M SSK - KBC Poker (Ergo-Clears) - Logitech Mx518 & G500 - Audio Technica AD700 - Logitech Z4 - Windows 7 Pro -
The_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 19:48   #13
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

forgot to mention, it renders pages a lot quicker, but you should use the 32bit version, on 64bit machine, as the 64bit one isn't properly finished, the java optimizations have only been done on 32bit version
Old 25th Mar 2011, 19:50   #14
oatey4519
can't be arsed...

oatey4519 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Chrome for me everyday...
using the Dev version - they soon sort any blips
and its quick even with extensions
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz EK HF Nickel Blocked - 8GB Corsair Vengeance RED - EVGA Z77 FTW - 120GB Corsair Force GT - 1TB Samsung F1 - 1TB Samsung F3 - EVGA GTX 660 FTW Sig2 3GB - EVGA GTX 470 x 2 - Coolermaster Silent Pro M1000 W - Corsair 800D - Dell 2209W 1920 x 1080 - ASUS Xonar Dx - Sennheiser PC350 Headphones - Saitek Keyboard & Logitech G9 Mouse
oatey4519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 20:00   #15
salesman
Multimodder

salesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsalesman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Reading this news I see almost nothing but Google chrome ads on bit-tech.
E8400 3.0GHz | ASRock P45X3 Deluxe | EVGA 570 GTX | 8 GB GSkill memory | Crucial M4 64GB Boot Drive | 3x Samsung F3 1TB Raid 0 | 2x Samsung F4EG 1.5TB Raid 0 | Corsair AX750 PSU | Noctua NH-U12P | Antec P180 | M-Audio Audiophile 192 | Marantz PM5004 | Cambridge Soundworks Speakers | Duckey Shine | Dell U2410 |
salesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 20:06   #16
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Note: If you are using your GPU to fold for Bit-tech, do yourself a favour and DISABLE hardware acceleration.
It pretty much waits until your current WU is finished before responding to your mouse clicks.
(OK, so its not that bad, but waiting 4-5 seconds after you have clicked new tab for one to appear is a bit annoying)
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 20:11   #17
hotnikkelz
Supermodder

hotnikkelz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Um the simple solution to tabs on top 'problem' is to just right click the bar and uncheck the tabs on top option. Firefox 4 is a lovely browser
ie9 does not have shrink tabs or app tabs or whatever u want to call it so i can't use it. Also i don't like their addon system. Still the best browser microsoft ever produced though
hotnikkelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 20:13   #18
2bdetermine
Multimodder

2bdetermine has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Firefox. Is this thing working probably? It failed to detect weather the site is secured or not. Once you reload the page it is fine. Opera/Chrome works just fine.
2bdetermine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Mar 2011, 20:32   #19
jimmyjj
Hypermodder

jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jimmyjj is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Fist time I used Chrome several months ago was amazed by how fast it is.

This is completely unscientific but it actually seems slower now for some reason,

Was thinking of trying IE 9.
Old 25th Mar 2011, 21:01   #20
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
So, we get news about a browser launch that we all knew was coming, but nothing about the budget and the R&D tax relief for the games industry?
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote