bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Mar 2011, 12:26   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
AMD challenges Nvidia's 'fastest graphics card' claim

AMD claims the Radeon HD 6990 is still the performance king.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...p-spot-claim/1
Old 28th Mar 2011, 12:31   #2
fingerbob69
Hypermodder

fingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelfingerbob69 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, nVidia would be the first to start shouting at anyone who would listen if the reverse was true!

Cordless Mouseman optical ...deceased
XFX 4890 + Artic Twin Turbo Pro ...retired 26.10.2014
fingerbob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 12:33   #3
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
haha, benchmark comparison is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

real world gaming experience is where it's at. and judging by latest title such as Crysis 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood lack of support for multi-GPU. good luck actually playing games on those monstrosities.

/hugs my single fastest single GPU, goes off to play AC Brotherhood
Old 28th Mar 2011, 12:33   #4
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Tell them to prove it with folding...
I just want to see a better AMD/ATi GPU Client
Old 28th Mar 2011, 12:43   #5
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't think anyone is clearly ahead.
They're so close, depending on what game / what resolution / what emphasis they come out as aven or only slightly apart.
If for instance, i read Bit-Tech's test, looking at the minimum frame rates, the GTX comes out slightly ahead in most games tested here.
If I read them looking at the average frame-rate, it's about 50-50.
I'm sure if you selected different game the radeon would come out slightly ahead.

The problem with COD (both of them falling behind) shows SLI-on-a-stick may not be for everybody.
I'd rather have a fast single chip card thank you.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 12:52   #6
meandmymouth
Mod Master

meandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quite frankly my opinion is that they are pretty evenly matched so why does it matter which one might have a slight advantage here but lose out here. If i was an AMD/ATi fanboy I'd buy the 6990, if I was an Nvidia fanboy I'd buy the 590. If I wasn't sure I'd look at which games I play and whether I'd want it to fold or not.

Fact is there is no clear performance king, period.
meandmymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 12:53   #7
Harlequin_uk
Banned

Harlequin_uk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nvidia would simply suggest to use hawkz and stone giant....

3dm11 is a reasonable tool - as long as AMD doesnt use any drivers with adaptive tessellation - oh wait , they still reduce tessellation level in the driver slider ignoring what's set in game/ programme.
Harlequin_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 12:58   #8
Jack_Pepsi
Clan BeeR Founder

Jack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the DremelJack_Pepsi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd be folding if we had a decent AMD Folding client.

In regards to this, I'd like to see another 590 vs 6990 in a month or so with decent games no Black Ops at large resolutions.

During the rectification of the Vuldronaii the Traveler came as a large, moving Torb. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the Meketrex supplicants they chose a new form for him—that of a giant Sloar. Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you.
Jack_Pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 13:43   #9
kosch
Trango in the Mango

kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.kosch is definitely a rep cheat.
I always find it amusing when AMD and Nvidia start waving their schlongs around in public like this.
kosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 13:46   #10
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming SaiyanBRAWL is a Super Spamming Saiyan
All I heard was the entire of Nvidia's customer base go "Challenge Accepted" and AMD stand there looking all egotistical and awesome >.<

This would be intresting to see... Maybe a massive worldwide benchmark of Nvidia Versus ATI/AMD cards? Hosted on 21.12.2012 to see whats fastest? *chuckles*
Old 28th Mar 2011, 13:47   #11
Evildead666
Supermodder

Evildead666 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Real Games (Multiples, not just one or two). Who gives a Donkey if its fastest just in 3DM11.

For me its the 6990 that wins, by a hair, in standard mode.
In the 450W mode its a bit better, but not what i'd call efficient scaling. Later drivers may help.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/825-...e-gtx-590.html
Old 28th Mar 2011, 14:03   #12
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerbob69
Well, nVidia would be the first to start shouting at anyone who would listen if the reverse was true!
+1
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 14:26   #13
jizwizard
in shirty's pouch

jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.jizwizard is definitely a rep cheat.
think nvidia wins when it comes to blowing your card up.
jizwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 14:31   #14
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Outstanding, let's all buy incredibly fast, incredibly expensive graphics cards to render xbox and playstation games at four hundred frames per second!
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 14:40   #15
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's just a pissing contest really. AMD have their "Leaked" powerpoint presentations showing how fantastic they are and Intel beating performance figures. Which then turn out to be targets rather than actual performance figures. As to moaning and quoting other sites favouring their products, well that just stinks.

They are all as bad as each other but the problem here is that some are siding with either side and we don;t have a conclusive winner. However, Phil Rhodes above has the post to put it all into prespective.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 14:53   #16
Unknownsock
Supermodder

Unknownsock has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Although 3D mark isn't real world, it still shows its potential, right? Obviously it's driver dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Rhodes
Outstanding, let's all buy incredibly fast, incredibly expensive graphics cards to render xbox and playstation games at four hundred frames per second!
Your forgeting eyefinity and 3D gaming. Regardless if one uses this, this card is pretty much required to play games like this.
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 15:30   #17
j_jay4
Supermodder

j_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for presidentj_jay4 should be considered for president
I bet AMD weren't too pleased with Bit-tech's review of the 590 then
Old 28th Mar 2011, 15:45   #18
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
@j_jay4 ya i bet, considering many other websites did not seem to be as favorable. i often question bit-tech's benchmarks reliability, but you should never just rely on 1 site for all your information.

to me, right now both cards are about equal. theres some tests where one clearly is ahead of the other and vise versa. but, considering amd/ati has always released products with terrible drivers, i feel like the 6990 will EVENTUALLY be the fastest, but currently neither is really better than the other.
Old 28th Mar 2011, 16:22   #19
Hakuren
Multimodder

Hakuren has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
For now there is no clear winner because GTX 590 isn't simply = to 2xGTX580. GTX590 is seriously under-clocked because it is technically impossible to deliver more power via 2x8 pin connectors and PCI-Ex slot. Add another 8-pin PEG, clock both chips and memory to designed speed and see 6990 crumble in benchmarks... not to mention Folding.

Not a fan of AMD, but not a fanboy of nVidia either. Just stating the facts. AMD should shut up, because theirs supposedly super-duper-fastest-mega-6990-moar VGA is beaten [or equal] by what in essence is under-clocked GTX570 in SLI.

C'mon MSI/Asus give GTX590 some TwinFrozr3/DirectCU+Mars treatment!
Hakuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2011, 16:23   #20
v8ninety
What's a Dremel?

v8ninety has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'm sure both sides can produces plenty of statistics that prove their point, however none will be realistic situations. This is just like Oracle vs SQL Server transaction speeds many years ago, Ferrari vs Porsche.... etc.
We can just sit back and laugh at them
v8ninety is offline   Reply With Quote