bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:20   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Game admits buying 3DS stock from Tesco

High street retailer Game has admitted encouraging staff to buy extra, discounted stock from Tesco.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...s-from-tesco/1
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:23   #2
BlackRaven
Freaking printers!

BlackRaven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Thats good business
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:33   #3
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Thats good business
This is true. People who want one are probably going to buy it anyway, regardless of an extra 20-30.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:41   #4
mpr
Multimodder

mpr has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How's that any different than the Stock Market or big buisinesses buying up competing buisiness and shutting them down... other than the fact that the only potential losses will be had by Game and not any employees of Tesco as happens during buy outs.

As stated above, good buisiness.
mpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:42   #5
bluespider42
Supermodder

bluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbluespider42 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I seem to remember a similar story with the Harry Potter books.
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:48   #6
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Years ago when I worked at a sports shop we were only allowed to sell mens 1 football shirt per customer because a rival was trying to buy up our stock.

As above, its good business, controls demand and keeps prices strong. Better for the games industry (I am aware they don't see the higher prices now, but it means they can keep their price to suppliers higher for longer).

Creating high demand like this is good. The poor miss out, but then they should work harder and become less poor.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:52   #7
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Bit of a dick move, but that's the principle of arbitrage for you.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:54   #8
Ph4ZeD
Banned

Ph4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run CrysisPh4ZeD can run Crysis
Only way that GAME can compete anymore is to try to buy out their rivals so the only place that people can buy from is themselves. They can't compete on price or convenience.
Ph4ZeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:57   #9
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Am I the only one who sees no problem?

They bought it legally, they were notifying people it was not brand new and were selling it used. I'm missing where this was illegal or misleading.
Old 30th Mar 2011, 16:59   #10
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded View Post
Bit of a dick move, but that's the principle of arbitrage for you.
My discounted Kick-Ass DVD from Zavvi had an Asda sticker on it, but I suppose that was just overstock from Christmas. I don't see the problem, pick the best price or the preferred reward scheme, it's not like the Wii where they couldn't be bought for months on end unless you travelled to Germany like some of my brothers' friends.
Old 30th Mar 2011, 17:00   #11
sp4nky
BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

sp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousp4nky - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4lanx View Post
Am I the only one who sees no problem?

They bought it legally, they were notifying people it was not brand new and were selling it used. I'm missing where this was illegal or misleading.
No, you're not. I'd have thought that Tesco aren't displeased that they sold all their stock.
Old 30th Mar 2011, 17:02   #12
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I'm missing where this was illegal or misleading.
No one said it was...
Other stuff I own: [BenQ XL2411T/Dell 2407WFP] - [Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth] - [Zowie FK] - [Sennheiser HD800] - [Audez'e LCD2 rev. 2] - [Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies] - [Philips 46PFL9705H] - [Onkyo TX-NR515] - [B&W 685]

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 17:05   #13
TWeaK
Supermodder

TWeaK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Lol at anyone who thinks that GAME is at fault for this. Frankly, I commend them. I don't support GAME much, and I remember the time when they were undercutting and muscling out local game stores, but Tesco have that practice as their bread and butter (literally!).

Tesco use loss-leading products - they sell some items at a loss as a way to drive customers into the store; they know their customers will want to buy the cheap items but while they're there they'll also buy other things. If GAME employees are buying 3DSs using company money then I doubt they'll be buying anything else. I see it as the lesser of two evils - and I'm happy for anyone to stick two fingers up towards Tesco.

@sp4nky: If Tesco are selling it at a loss then I'm not so sure they would be pleased that it's GAME employees buying them!
TWeaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 17:05   #14
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And yet everyone is laying into Game... Me no get!
Old 30th Mar 2011, 17:08   #15
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
I don't really either. There's no victim here, I hardly think Tesco would be selling them at a loss anyway so GAME would be making less than stock bought from Nintendo wholesale. It's not really profiteering, just making sure they have enough stock for their customers.
Other stuff I own: [BenQ XL2411T/Dell 2407WFP] - [Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth] - [Zowie FK] - [Sennheiser HD800] - [Audez'e LCD2 rev. 2] - [Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies] - [Philips 46PFL9705H] - [Onkyo TX-NR515] - [B&W 685]

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 17:14   #16
Mitcian
Multimodder

Mitcian has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWeaK
Lol at anyone who thinks that GAME is at fault for this. Frankly, I commend them. I don't support GAME much, and I remember the time when they were undercutting and muscling out local game stores, but Tesco have that practice as their bread and butter (literally!).

Tesco use loss-leading products - they sell some items at a loss as a way to drive customers into the store; they know their customers will want to buy the cheap items but while they're there they'll also buy other things. If GAME employees are buying 3DSs using company money then I doubt they'll be buying anything else. I see it as the lesser of two evils - and I'm happy for anyone to stick two fingers up towards Tesco.
^ This
Mitcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 17:17   #17
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Game have done it before, its annoying I'm not interested in 3DS but if I wanted one I'd be pretty annoyed that I can't buy one at a good price with what I want, I recall being very annoyed when Game snapped up all the cheap 360s from Tesco when I was after one, course Game were charging more for the console bundled with some secondhand crap I did not want.

Doesn't make it wrong though its just business for them, but I can't help feeling a little pissed off with them about it having missed out due to this behaviour.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 17:23   #18
NethLyn
Hypermodder

NethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for presidentNethLyn should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespider42 View Post
I seem to remember a similar story with the Harry Potter books.
Well Asda took all the Childrens' Editions of the last book and flogged them for a fiver in the first weekend, so undercutting Waterstones which has been closing branches at the time and ever since. I made do with the adult version for a tenner. Like TWeak says, any retail chain can take any product and make it the can of beans just to get people in the store.
Old 30th Mar 2011, 18:10   #19
flibblesan
Destroyer

flibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitflibblesan is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Probably because they are selling these as pre-owned and charging the same price as a new 3DS. IMHO there would be less of an uproar if Game just sold these as new in the first place.
flibblesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2011, 18:38   #20
greypilgers
Supermodder

greypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysisgreypilgers can run Crysis
A similar thing happened with the cocoa harvest a couple of years ago, didnt it? A hedge fund or investment company realised that due to some global climate or weather trends the cocoa harvest globally was going to be significantly lower than in previous years, they then bought up all the (then) cheap cocoa and hoarded it until the shortage became apparent - this pushed up the prices so they were able to sell at an inflated price and reap the profit from companies, and in turn people, who had to pay more for something than they did previously. This is capitalism in effect, and the same thing is in effect here - GAME not able to secure enough for their projected demand, so they take advantage of a lower price elsewhere, thus decreasing supply somewhat whilst enabling them to fulfill the demand with higher priced stock.
Everyone sniffs at Tesco, but personally I quite like being able to buy groceries cheaply and conveniently. I struggle to see what the issue with that is - at least the consumer is getting something out of it. With GAME's tactic, the consumer is getting less choice about the retailer, and a higher price for what they were after.

Bungletron, I salute you!
greypilgers is offline   Reply With Quote