bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 4th Apr 2011, 12:13   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Mozilla tackles slow Firefox add-ons

Slow speed warnings to be issued for slow add-ons, and top apps to be benchmarked.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...refox-addons/1
Old 4th Apr 2011, 12:18   #2
amacieli
Multimodder

amacieli has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No connection with IE9's in-built functionality to do much the same thing... not at all.
amacieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 12:31   #3
V3ctor
Tech addict...

V3ctor has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by amacieli
No connection with IE9's in-built functionality to do much the same thing... not at all.
I really liked that extra in IE9, it's only natural that everyone copies it
Intel Core i7 4770K@4.5Ghz / ASUS Sabertooth Z87 / 2x4Gb Gskill Trident X 2400Mhz / 2x ASUS Matrix Platinum 7970 3Gb / Samsung T260 / 2x Corsair Force GT 240Gb raid0/ Corsair HX-850W/ Silverstone FT02R-Wi
V3ctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 12:52   #4
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
unstable and slow add ons with firefox. Nothing new!

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 13:13   #5
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
IE9 all the way, don't want or need FF.
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 13:36   #6
Bauul
Sir Bongaminge

Bauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run CrysisBauul can run Crysis
The above comments sound like they're from strange parallel universe where Microsoft is the loved innovative leader being copied by Mozilla, the slow buggy behemoth.
Bauul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 13:41   #7
Scarlet0pimp
Minimodder

Scarlet0pimp has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IE 9 is good though so deserves some praise.
Scarlet0pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 13:42   #8
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.Snips is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
The above comments sound like they're from strange parallel universe where Microsoft is the loved innovative leader being copied by Mozilla, the slow buggy behemoth.
and what an excellent place it is!
Old 4th Apr 2011, 13:46   #9
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
Flashgot, Adblock (disabled on BT) and Xmarks...... i got them installed

Firefox's cold start speed does need improving, a lot. hopefully this will make developers make more optimised code. i mean with Flashgot, it shouldn't slow down cold startup, it should load with whatever page is loading after the browser shows.

use Apple's methodology to make stuff feel fast: do stuff while thinking. iOS feels smooth and fast because it has these silly animations to let the user know it is doing stuff. if Firefox cold start up shows a window pop out animation, everyone would think it's brilliantly fast.
Old 4th Apr 2011, 14:01   #10
mucgoo
I *am* a Dremel

mucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for presidentmucgoo should be considered for president
Having several good browsers around can only be a good thing. Nothing wrong with a bit of copying of good features.
mucgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 14:04   #11
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
People seem to blame firefox's speed problems with Mozilla rather than the little shites who can't code for **** (jesus, where did that come from? I don't talk like that!).

If you run Firefox without addons (I do), then the startup time is almost instant for me.
Old 4th Apr 2011, 14:29   #12
cgthomas
Cpt. Handsome

cgthomas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
IE 9 really deserves praise this time round. They've fixed all problems with slowly running jquery and other script types
Old 4th Apr 2011, 14:44   #13
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.IvanIvanovich is definitely a rep cheat.
it's good that they are reaching out to the extensions developers. they are the reason firefox is so attractive to many people as they provide all of the extra features many enjoy. at the same time, they are hindering firefox performance and image due to poor coding. full code audits should be required before release approval when hosted on the official firefox add-ons site.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 14:58   #14
Threefiguremini
Supermodder

Threefiguremini has yet to learn the way of the DremelThreefiguremini has yet to learn the way of the DremelThreefiguremini has yet to learn the way of the DremelThreefiguremini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah microsoft seem to be really on a roll at the moment. Great operating system, great browser, great anti virus.
Old 4th Apr 2011, 15:08   #15
sWW
Multimodder

sWW has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Does adblock work with IE9? Its the only reason I feel I cannot leave FF. Don't want to watch ads all the time on 4oD etc
Old 4th Apr 2011, 17:47   #16
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
@Bauul. Jumping to conclusions there pal. I dislike IE everything but like previous comments have said IE9 is ok. But I am a chrome user through and through. Tbh on the speed tests they are all pretty much the same think opera and chrome are the faster of the bunch but by a tiny margin. Think its just how the look and feel to the user. You can see that Firefox 4 IMO has taken the chrome simplistic look which I think is better. More screen estate.

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 18:08   #17
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't care if NoScript does slow the starting time by 16%, I'm still going to use it.

If Mozilla were really worried about speed, they'd ship Firefox with the popular about:config tweaks already set up.
It's not as if start up speed is the most important thing anyway. You only start up once per session. Where you want the real speed is when it loads web pages.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 19:17   #18
Ficky Pucker
Ultramodder

Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.Ficky Pucker is definitely a rep cheat.
i've got flashgot - 50%, adblock plus - 21%, greasmonkey 15% & download statusbar - 14% installed.

and i don't find the cold start slow, but its good to see mozilla finally do something about the addons
Ficky Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 20:32   #19
Javerh
Topiary Golem

Javerh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the DremelJaverh has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Browsers are so 1999. Why would someone use them anymore? mIRC sockets all the way!
Modders make project logs. Project logs make mods. Mods make modders.
Javerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2011, 21:16   #20
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javerh
Browsers are so 1999!
No, it was Prince!