bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 6th Apr 2011, 18:16   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Intel unveils 10-core Xeon CPU

Intel has unveiled its latest family of Xeon processors, offering up to ten cores per CPU.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...workstations/1
Old 6th Apr 2011, 18:26   #2
djzic
Bokehlicious!

djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.djzic is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What socket is it using?

Cam: Canon 400D | 35mm f/2.8 | Helios 44-2
djzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 18:30   #3
GiantKiwi
Regular Ordinary Kiwi Web Guy

GiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the DremelGiantKiwi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
LGA 1567 thanks intel, another socket to contend with -.-

Synology DS1813+ with 8x 4TB Western Digital WD40ERFX in Raid 60
GiantKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 19:09   #4
srx08
What's a Dremel?

srx08 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Intel is replacing all sockets. Get over your socket hate.
srx08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 19:20   #5
l3v1ck
really joined on Dec 24th 2004.

l3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremell3v1ck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I still find it strange that they using older Nehalem based core for these latest top end chips. If I was paying that much for a CPU I'd like to think I was getting their latest and best technology.
Still, if they do a cost analysis, I'm sure it'll work out for them.
The old Dennis Forums (CPC, PC Pro, Mac User etc) - Meeting Place lives on. You're welcome to visit it HERE
l3v1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 19:33   #6
bulldogjeff
The modding head is firmly back on.

bulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyanbulldogjeff is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I don't quite think I need that many cores just yet. My i7 does what i need it to do.
bulldogjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 20:25   #7
RichCreedy
Hey What Who

RichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming SaiyanRichCreedy is a Super Spamming Saiyan
but can it run crysis

anyway, this cpu will be great for anyone want run there own webhosting/datacentre, it will be capable of running multiple virtual machines.
Old 6th Apr 2011, 21:00   #8
AiA
Multimodder

AiA has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
good for ray tracing
AiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 21:19   #9
Teh Noob Slayer
Minimodder

Teh Noob Slayer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wonder what the TDP is like?
Teh Noob Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 21:36   #10
Pete J
RIP Kidmod

Pete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming SaiyanPete J is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogjeff View Post
I don't quite think I need that many cores just yet. My i7 does what i need it to do.
As it does for almost all of us. Having said that, some of my colleagues would love that for some of the weird FEA/rendering they do.
Lian Li PC-P80B / EVGA X79 Dark / i7 4930K @ 4.2GHz (no HT) / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Avexir Core Blue Series @ 2400MHz 10-12-12-31-2T / 3x SLI EVGA 3GB GTX 780 @1075MHz Core 7000MHz Memory / X-Fi Titanium Professional / 2 x 250GB Samsung 840 / 120GB Vertex 2 / 480GB Vertex 2 / 2TB WD Caviar Green / Silverstone Strider 1500W / Asus PQ321QE / Dell 3007WFP-HC / Headphones TBA / Logitech MK710 and MX3200 / Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 / Datacolor Spyder3 / Win 7 Ultimate x64 / Gigabyte P34G V2
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 21:36   #11
[- pio -]
Multimodder

[- pio -] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel[- pio -] has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Noob Slayer View Post
Wonder what the TDP is like?
130W (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=53580)

EDIT: Haha, it supports 8-chip configurations. 160 threads, anyone?

Currently surfing with a 15" MacBook Pro i7 @ 2.2 GHz with 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD
Really old school setup: Some random old server mobo, 2x PIII 933MHz, 640MB RAM, Sapphire 9600XT 256MB, 80GB Samsung spinpoint. I've actually played through HL2 a couple of times on this
[- pio -] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2011, 23:22   #12
deathtaker27
Backups ... Its a way of life

deathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyandeathtaker27 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
how many points per day?
deathtaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 03:22   #13
slothy89
MicroModder

slothy89 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
130W TDP for a Deca-Core? good effort!

Imagine the TDP on a Sandy/Ivy based Deca-Core Xeon.. 80W? lol
Case : Zalman Z9+ (filled with Xigmatek XLF fans 120mm&140mm)
Storage : 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS - 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA III
slothy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 06:00   #14
McSteel
Shape Memory Alloy

McSteel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
130W seems a little too optimistic, methinks. I'd find this figure much easier to accept if it was typical draw rather than peak draw... So, are you guys @ BT labs going to test a specimen or two?
McSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 08:59   #15
Dreamslacker
Multimodder

Dreamslacker has yet to learn the way of the DremelDreamslacker has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteel
130W seems a little too optimistic, methinks. I'd find this figure much easier to accept if it was typical draw rather than peak draw... So, are you guys @ BT labs going to test a specimen or two?
That's TDP - the typical load heat output, not power consumption per se.
Old 7th Apr 2011, 09:59   #16
Lizard
@ Scan R&D

Lizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run CrysisLizard can run Crysis
Quote:
I'll be speaking to Intel about it this very morning. Though I think it would only be fair to test four, not two
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2011, 12:55   #17
Bakes
Hypermodder

Bakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the DremelBakes has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamslacker
Quote:
That's TDP - the typical load heat output, not power consumption per se.
The TDP is the Thermal Design Power - the amount of energy the CPU will output, the amount of energy you must design your coolers to be able to absorb - it's the maximum the chip will output. With Intel CPUs, this is done at full load - the chip will only emit a maximum 130w of heat no matter how heavily loaded it is.

That is also the power drawn from the wall by the CPU.
Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote