1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon to sell cheaper, ad-supported Kindle

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Yeah, they're going to need to give me a bigger discount than that to make me put up with ads....

3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Buy cheap ad-supported Wifi Kindle.
    Flash with normal Kindle firmware.
    ???
    Profit!

4. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

I wonder how long it'll take before standard firmwares ome out for this this making it in to a "standard" Kindle, if they truly are idential hardware wise? Even if it wasn't identical, I can't see it mattering too much anyway.

5. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I'd like a kindle, but for that amount of money I could buy a lot of normal books

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

You would soon be cursing yourself for not spending the tiny amount extra for the annoyance free version if you went for this.

7. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I agree with this, for the sake of 25 bucks you would be best going for the ad free version.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I can't see $25 making much of a difference to sales, tbh.

PS: It's Bezos not Bazos, btw.

9. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Ad free is worth much more to me than £15.

10. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This.

11. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

while i agree that a bigger discount is needed i dont really see the problem if ads will be small and besides as long as there are no ads within the ebooks then surely its not much of hindrence

12. ET3D

ET3D What's a Dremel?

$25 off $139 is $114, and I think $99 would have been a much more convincing price point. Still, $25 is a bit of money, and I would go for this if I wanted to buy a Kindle. From the description of the ads they sound like they won't interfere with the core reading experience, so I don't see why people would pay another $25 for the ad-free version.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

How about the standart wikipedia connection for europe...that'd boost sales

14. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

They wouldn't have released this if there weren't scores of people willing to put up with the ads. A $25 savings is about an 18% discount, nothing to sneeze at. That said, I'd be more inclined to purchase the regular wi-fi version.

15. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Yup, I'll pay the $25 premium, and plan on it soon. Birthday is coming up later next month and I planning on making a Kindle my birthday present. I think the $25 discount is just because they know people are going to make an end run around the ads at some point soon.

I do wonder if the way it is set up on Amazon's side is if they see the MAC/Serial connecting to them on an ad supported kindle that they'll either push down ads or disallow it if they see the firmware changes to a non-ad version. Do you feel me?

Anyway, makes me wonder how they'll "lock in the ads".

$139 for an ad free one is just fine for me, thanks.

I am sure Amazon will sell at least a few. If the only difference is the firmware and maybe a bit of software on Amazon's side to support/enforce it...doesn't sound like they can go wrong. Well, unless it generates a lot of negative press/feelings. Otherwise even if they only sell 1 in 50 as ad supported they can probably generate enough revenue over whatever period of time to make it pay for them.

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'd never buy an ad supported product, isn't there a TV that displays ads on the TV guide pages.

On free stuff like web sites (Hello Dennis) yeah ads are a necessity, but on my own hardware? No way!

And I bet they'll be feeding ads based on what you're reading, or is in your library.

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

That's nice, now drop the price back to where it was pre christmas on both models and we'll talk

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ad support for saving only $25 no thank you, at a minimum it would have to be $50 or more to even be partially worth wild.

19. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

I own a kindle. Based on how they say the advertising is done I see no problem at all.
    Personally I got the 3G version which isn't mentioned, so I would've ended up going for the full-fat version anyway. But if I was buying a second (which I'm considering - if you own 2 and link them to the same account, both have the same books on - useful for if your wife wants to read the book you've just read), I would get this one.
    The ads really won't interfere with your enjoyment.
    When you buy custom PC, do the ads bother you that much? You just don't read them. Would you pay a pound more for a non-ad version of custom PC? I wouldn't.
    Good idea IMHO

20. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

They should f**king pay you for the privilege of beaming adds to your book.

Imagine reading an actual paper book and some w**ker kept coming up to and trying to sell you something.

And they want YOU to pay THEM for this bullsh*t.

Never.

Tags: Add Tags