1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Headphones/Headset for Gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by happyhammer7, 13 Apr 2011.

1. happyhammer7

happyhammer7 What's a Dremel?

I am looking for some over the ear, headphones for my PC. Ideally it would also have a microphone and cost no more than £40. However, I am not overly bothered if it doesn't, as long as they sound great for gaming/music.

I lot to ask for £40, hence why I need some recommendations.

Thanks

2. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

B1GBUD likes this.
  3. happyhammer7

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

5. happyhammer7

6. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

B1GBUD likes this.
  7. docodine

Sennheiser's low end isn't particularly good, you're paying for the brand name IMO.

Lots of people have the mindset that "if it's Sennheiser, it's quality HiFi equipment". Sennheiser makes incredible headphones, but the cheap ones you see in stores are beaten by budget headphones by Koss, JVC, and some others.

My advice to you is to stay as far away from gaming headsets as possible, these headsets from Razer and Corsair (and Tritton, Steelseries, Turtle Beach, etc) only get glowing reviews from people who: haven't used a better setup, or are sponsored.

The only good headsets in terms of audio quality are the ones that are just good headphones with a mic attached (Ex: Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (Beyer DT770 + mic) and the Sennheiser PC360 (Senn's HD555/595 + mic, etc)). The rest don't measure up to a decent pair of headphones either in sound quality or build quality.. And don't get me started on surround sound headphones..

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i love my frends headphones. they are pretty close to your budget and sound very good for something in the price range. they have a trrs jack though as they're geared towards use on idevices. so you'd need an adapter cable to use on pc, or do like i did and wire a trrs jack to your hdaudio header.
    otherwise i agree 100% with docodine. 'gaming' headsets are rubbish compared to say low end 'dj' headphones.

9. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

B1GBUD likes this.
  10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Not everyone wants to spend £250+ on a headset. I understand what you're saying about pure quality, but 'bang for buck'... you can't complain about Creative, Razer, Corsair, Turtle Beach etc. For the money, they're superb.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2011
  11. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

12. docodine

I'm saying that's what you have to spend for a good headset, clearly way out of OP's budget.

£40 will not get you a good headset, but there are plenty of headphones within that budget that will do the job.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

Best sounding headphones I've heard for around £40 are the Sony MDR EX300's, you'd usually have to pay well over £100 to get the same quality sound. You can get the MDR EX500's here for £36+p&p, they're the next model up, usually cost between £60-80, and are only very slightly better than the 300's (I've owned both), but at this price you might as well get them. The reason they are so cheap is the packaging is slightly scuffed, I bought my last pair from there and they work perfectly.

If you really care about sound quality for music, you'll get a great balanced frequency range , the bass is solid and doesn't compromise any of the other frequencies. This video will give you an idea of what they are capable of compared to other headphones, but it doesn't tell the whole story, they will sound much better in your ears as most of the bass comes from the pads vibrating against your earbones.

You also get a great soundstage which means the instrument spacing is wider, making them clearer, will also be great for positional audio in games.

One thing to note is they require 8-12hrs burn in before they will sound like they should so leave them plugged in with music playing for a long period and you won't be disappointed.

Only thing you'd need then is a mic with a button that allows you to switch it on and off whilst playing games.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011
  14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

B1GBUD likes this.
  15. mkb

mkb Minimodder

16. Srcr. Maligree

Srcr. Maligree What's a Dremel?

I've had these recommended to me by at least 3 people:
    Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000

"A damn good set, Microsoft's little secret until they crashed the price".
    I don't know how they compare to the above in terms of sound quality, but they'e just under £15 on Amazon.
    Gonna buy my own pair soon.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011
  17. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

Really?? I would have said their sound quality and bass were their strongest point.... absolutely brilliant. It's their build quality I would have said lets them down, so if you're someone who carries them around everywhere with you then they might not be perfect...

18. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

B1GBUD likes this.
  19. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

B1GBUD likes this.
  20. docodine