bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 2nd May 2011, 06:32   #21
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Thanks Rich. I just bookmarked the page. Too late for this build, but I'll keep them in mind for later.
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:21   #22
randomhero
Multimodder

randomhero has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Care to share how these nuts actually work? Seems like there would be a lot of uses for them
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 CPU: Intel Core I-7-2600K @ 4,636 GHz GPU: 2x MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II @ 1022 Mhz RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHZ CL8 Storage: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB and waiting for OCZ Vertex 3 to be released in Norway Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl PSU: Corsair AX 850W OS: Windows 7 ultimate x64 Keyboard: Logitec Illuminated Wireless Keyboard K800 Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 9
randomhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:36   #23
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Spotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomhero View Post
Care to share how these nuts actually work? Seems like there would be a lot of uses for them
Drill a precise hole. Press'em into the hole. Tah-dah, instant threaded hole!
Old 3rd May 2011, 18:49   #24
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotswood View Post
I've got a couple of bags of them (awesome little things ) but not had chance to use them, just need the correct drill bit as Spotswood said, the ones I have are only good for up to 1.5mm sheet though, they get used a lot on retail cases where a good permanent thread needs to be like pci slots, motherboard mounts or any other spots where regular use might occur.

Case is shaping up gorgeous & pro as always mate .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 19:23   #25
randomhero
Multimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotswood View Post
Is it really that easy? Then I need to order like a truck-load of them when I get my workshop up. They got them in standard pc-screw sizes right(I have no idea what the standard sizes are anymore)?
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 CPU: Intel Core I-7-2600K @ 4,636 GHz GPU: 2x MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II @ 1022 Mhz RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHZ CL8 Storage: Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB and waiting for OCZ Vertex 3 to be released in Norway Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl PSU: Corsair AX 850W OS: Windows 7 ultimate x64 Keyboard: Logitec Illuminated Wireless Keyboard K800 Mouse: Cyborg R.A.T 9
Old 4th May 2011, 22:18   #26
randomhero
Multimodder

Oh and btw, awesome project! I'm going to build a server from scratch myself when my workshop is up and running. Looking forward to seeing some updates Subbed
Old 6th May 2011, 03:12   #27
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Spotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I added some "legs" to the motherboard trays so they'll rest nice and level on the workbench.

Old 6th May 2011, 15:42   #28
randomhero
Multimodder

Nice! Can't wait to see how this turns out
Old 7th May 2011, 22:14   #29
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

I spent the day correcting a big mistake, which was I relied on the incorrect posted dimensions of the Swiftech MCR320-DRIVE 3x120 radiator, and thus the case wasn't wide enough by 16mm. (Swiftech has since corrected the diagram on their website).

Actually, the case was exactly the width of the rads, but that might have resulted in some pump vibration getting transferred to the side panels. So the case had to be widened by one inch.

To speedup the process of pinning the bolt blocks to the u-channel I switched to using split pins.

I also had to re-cut the back sheet.

Altogether, it only took me about a third of the original amount of time. Phew!

Last edited by Spotswood; 8th May 2011 at 00:01.
Spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 18:54   #30
randomhero
Multimodder

To bad that you had to redo your original work but it's good that you're getting quicker at it More updates
Old 21st May 2011, 05:41   #31
randomhero
Multimodder

So where are those updates?
Old 21st May 2011, 15:51   #32
HybridCore
Multimodder

HybridCore has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Subbed.
HybridCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 00:39   #33
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

The bottom support beams were made from .5x.1-inch aluminum flat bar. I wasn't keen on having to hand drill and tap them, so instead, I routed grooves to accept nuts.

I like this fastening method because its wicked strong and offers just enough "play" for easy assembly.

The frame is bolted to the front inner sheet.

And then the entire subassembly is bolted to the front frame.

Old 24th May 2011, 22:45   #34
randomhero
Multimodder

Coming along nicely, can't wait to see your solutions when it gets complicated
Old 27th May 2011, 04:25   #35
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

The sides of the HD cage consists of three pieces of .125-inch thick 1x1.5-inch u-channel held together with some threaded bolts. The cage will be bolted to the frame of the case via some .5-inch angle.

The holes in the angle were used to guide the drill bit into the side pieces.

Quarter inch slots were routed out of the u-channels to eventually accept .25-inch threaded rods.

Old 27th May 2011, 07:05   #36
Droih
Your too close if you can read this

Droih has yet to learn the way of the DremelDroih has yet to learn the way of the DremelDroih has yet to learn the way of the DremelDroih has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice
Droih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 17:08   #37
Marcos_Viegas
Supermodder

Marcos_Viegas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Excelent job man!

Keep going!
Marcos_Viegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 15:41   #38
HybridCore
Multimodder

HybridCore has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
moarz! I need you to do my alu work for me.
HybridCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 20:20   #39
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Santoprene rubber/plastic tubing was slipped over 1/4-inch threaded rods to form a "cage" to contain the HDs.

Here's why the routed slots are superior to individual holes.

Old 29th May 2011, 12:03   #40
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Looking perfect Rich .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode