bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 29th May 2011, 13:06   #41
voigts
Hypermodder

voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.voigts is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
looks great.
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 01:27   #42
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Spotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
A last minute design change was to go with SATA backplanes. This required having to route-out 24 phalanx shaped areas for the LED and power cables to pass through.

[These photos are just quick mockups, the perforate aluminum will eventually get mounted to the bottom of the drive cage. ]

The backplanes rest on some soft rubber grommets and are attached via two #4 socket head cap screws.

The 1/16-inch perforated aluminum was a good choice because I didn't have to drill a boat load of holes.

Old 14th Jul 2011, 10:55   #43
LooseNeutral
this Avatar stays till I get bored

LooseNeutral has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
crazy! nice build you got going here. Love'n the metal worx . Can't wait for more. sub'd
LooseNeutral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2011, 04:34   #44
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Spotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I finished the bottom of the HD cage by adding four support beams made from 1x.5-inch u-channels.

To further dampen vibrations some 1x.25-inch soft foam will be stuck between the beams and the perforated aluminum.

Old 5th Aug 2011, 06:56   #45
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Finally managed to mount the HD cage to the case via 12 #6-32 stainless steel socket cap bolts.

Old 5th Aug 2011, 13:44   #46
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Finally means that was a whole LOT of work excellent stuff Rich .

Magnificent HDD section .
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2011, 16:33   #47
Fingers66
Kiwi in London

Fingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Subbed!
NAS 1:[Synology DS211j] NAS 2:[OMV]
Fingers66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2011, 03:33   #48
dark4181
Ero-sennin-tebayo

dark4181 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Spectacular!
Intel e6550, eVGA 680 A1 D00 revision (P32 BIOS, latest drivers) eVGA 7900gs, 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz @ 1.85v, Corsair 620HX, Seagate Barracuda 500GB x2, Pioneer DVR-212D (SATA), CoolerMaster Cosmos S
dark4181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 02:55   #49
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Another requirement for this case is the ability to mount six SSD drives. The original plan was to mount them to the bottom of the case, but if there ever was a leak in the water cooling system, all of the SSDs would be toast. So instead, I came up with the idea to mount the drives to the underside of a motherboard tray.

Half-inch standoffs were screwed into the MB tray's existing PEM nuts.

And onto that a .10-inch thick sheet of aluminum was bolted.

Old 13th Aug 2011, 05:53   #50
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

The front inner sheet was turned into Swiss cheese via 9 holes for the 120mm intake fans. The holes were cut with a 1/2-inch flush trimming router bit, guided by a template.

Old 13th Aug 2011, 10:06   #51
[ZiiP] NaloaC
I Mod, Therefore I Own

[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan[ZiiP] NaloaC is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm late to the party, but I'm staying now until the end

Great work so far Spots
Sui Generis: i7 920, Corsair H50, 6GB Dominator C7 1600, EVGA x58 SLI LE, Corsair F3 120GB SSD & Samsung EVO 250GB SSD, Samsung F3 1TB x 2, Sapphire R9 290, Corsair HX850W, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Iiyama 26" Prolite, Logitech G15, Logitech G5, Sennheiser PC350.
[ZiiP] NaloaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2011, 11:04   #52
LukaTCE
What's a Dremel?

LukaTCE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Nice work
Maybe did u recorded how did u cuted 12cm circle from metal with flush trimming router bit i can't find any video on youtube
LukaTCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2011, 16:23   #53
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
looks perfect with nice clean holes, what stats of a router are needed for doing stuff like this Rich? variable speed I expect, anything else? I want to buy one for future projects but not 100% sure what type or abilities I'd need from one so best to ask someone who has done a good bit of this .

+rep
Old 13th Aug 2011, 19:29   #54
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
looks perfect with nice clean holes, what stats of a router are needed for doing stuff like this Rich? variable speed I expect, anything else? I want to buy one for future projects but not 100% sure what type or abilities I'd need from one so best to ask someone who has done a good bit of this .

+rep
Thanks. I'm currently using a very basic, variable speed, 2HP router, that I purchased for ~$100 USD. Nothing special, really. I use a very low RPM, which reduces the router's HP quite a bit.

My next upgrade is to get a Super-PID which provides much more control over RPMs, while still maintaining good HP.
Spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Aug 2011, 23:52   #55
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Thanks Rich & that mod addon looks very good, added that to my favorites cheers .
Old 14th Aug 2011, 01:11   #56
robi09
Minimodder

robi09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How many hdd's you have? Great job!

Sorry for my english.
robi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2011, 05:11   #57
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

@robi09 - I'm just the case builder.

The top motherboard tray support is the last piece of the case frame.

Last edited by Spotswood; 14th Aug 2011 at 05:16.
Spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2011, 08:00   #58
Bituser
64 Gigglebytes

Bituser has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks good. That's one big case though. Do you really have 25 HDDs? That's insane!
Bituser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2011, 16:14   #59
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bituser View Post
Looks good. That's one big case though. Do you really have 25 HDDs? That's insane!
Thanks.

Again (), I'm just the case builder, building what I'm told to build. (I'm a lucky guy.)
Old 14th Aug 2011, 16:58   #60
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Seeing it like this now it looks like an ultra premium mega double version (I love bit-techs ultra premium award ) of my last case but far far better & so much more oomph, awesome stuff I got my layout quite wrong on mine though should have made it wider like this for the psu, really looks good altogether .

View Mode