bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Apr 2011, 06:36   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Teufel Concept D 500 THX

These 449 speakers offer audiophile sound quality and a sleek appearance.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/spe...pt-d-500-thx/1
Old 15th Apr 2011, 08:20   #2
Toka
Fully Outer Joined

Toka has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
This set is a far better option than hi-fi separates
Really? I do like Teufel stuff (specifically their DAC + speaker package) but 450?

Connecting separates up in the same way as this offering you could go for

Speakers

Amp

Cable

What you loose in base you gain in detail and clarity. Possibly you might want to go for better speakers and a cheaper amp, the way round I have it is just the one I prefer.
Old 15th Apr 2011, 08:25   #3
samkiller42
For i AM Cheesecake!!

samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.samkiller42 is definitely a rep cheat.
This set is THX certified, hence it's price.

Sam

The Laptop: Dell Vostro 3450, SB i3 2350m, 8GB DDR3, 256GB 830 SSD, Intel 6235 Wifi N/BT 4.0, Dell 5550 3G/GPS
The Server: Phenom 2 x6, 8GB DDR3, 3TB Seagate, 2TB WD Green, 2*1TB Samsung F1
samkiller42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 08:32   #4
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
lol - just picked up a (formerly) 2k+ 6x power amp (thx) soundcard , 5 kef eggs and a (prev) 1.2k sub for total 400....

wonder if it is better?
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 08:47   #5
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
on normal Teufel Subs, you can set the crossover...maybe it's a THX requirement that it can't be changed here?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 09:16   #6
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I'm with toka. Give me my hifi seperates any day!
Old 15th Apr 2011, 09:34   #7
BobbySparkle
What's a Dremel?

BobbySparkle has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"This set is a far better option than hi-fi separates"

Please quantify this, I'm currently running barracuda AC-1 card optically into a sony mds-920 (about 500 nicker in its day, though unfortunately limited to 48Khz) and then into an Arcam Alpha 7 amp, thats running Bi Wired Mordaunt Short 920s (pretty crappy speakers) coupled with a REL Q200e subwoofer.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that this setup will sound better than what I am running........sound is a subjective thing obviously, but I really can't see it chaps. If you want good sound out of a pc - get the best soundcard and best dac you can afford, its taken me about 6 years and several sets of different systems including the likes of jbl, harmann kardon etc. to reach this conclusion, but am quietly confident it'll take the pepsi challenge with most out there without spending horrific amounts of cash
BobbySparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 09:54   #8
N17 dizzi
Packet of mints and a Phillips head

N17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming SaiyanN17 dizzi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If these make it to the elite list in CPC can you at least suggest a budget option as you do with GPUs and the like?
N17 dizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 10:23   #9
alpaca
llama eats dremel

alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.alpaca is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
no new scoring system? with all the tam tam you announced it, i would have assumed it would be omnipresent by now?
Old 15th Apr 2011, 10:25   #10
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Don't worry, these won't be making the elite list. They're awesome and sound great, but we know only the minority want to splash this sort of cash on PC audio.

Hifi separates are always going to be tough competition at this price, esp. if you buy your bits second hand on the cheap. For an easy one shot of uber audio though, these are bloody good.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 10:47   #11
PlayedStation
Possessed like an apostrophe

PlayedStation has yet to learn the way of the DremelPlayedStation has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
can you run a competition to win the pair you tested please? and announce me the winner?

want.
PlayedStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 10:47   #12
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have the 5 Kef eggs. I love em.

Personally I believe that speaker technology changes slowly. A set of high quality speakers from 10 years ago are still good now.
But amplifier tech changes, so a 10 year old amp behind the times.

So, if you are going to get into audiophilia, get the best speakers you can afford now, cos you won't be changing them as often.
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 12:02   #13
3lusive
Ultramodder

3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.3lusive is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Would this get the 'extreme ultra' award?
Old 15th Apr 2011, 12:09   #14
bcd
What's a Dremel?

bcd has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toka
Quote:
This set is a far better option than hi-fi separates
Really? I do like Teufel stuff (specifically their DAC + speaker package) but 450?

Connecting separates up in the same way as this offering you could go for

Speakers

Amp

Cable

What you loose in base you gain in detail and clarity. Possibly you might want to go for better speakers and a cheaper amp, the way round I have it is just the one I prefer.
I concur, can't see why you'd feel the need to spend so much money on the amp though, the bottom-of-the-range Cambridge Audio amp would do you proud!
bcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 12:32   #15
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
stop comparing 2nd hand hifi kit to brand new pc audio on a bang/buck level.
by all means compare new hifi gear to new pc audio. and perhaps each time hifi still wins out, but when you need to make the hifi 2nd hand for better value then its a skewed unfair comparison.
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 18:03   #16
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I imagine having an amp built into the subwoofer, saves more space then having a big hi-fi amp and speakers. Also, it looks like they'd be slightly easier to wire up and get working. It's the old buy pre-built or build your PC argument. Personally I'm happy with my Q-Acoustic speakers, and Yamaha radio/amp, but I can see the appeal of these speakers.
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2011, 18:11   #17
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
The waveguide on the tweeters looks very nice, albeit a little deep.

They look like good performers but at that price there are better options. You can grab some nice powered powered monitors like the Yamaha HS80 for that price.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2011, 02:57   #18
wbdog206
Supermodder

wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.wbdog206 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I still like my old tube amps.
Old 17th Apr 2011, 06:06   #19
metarinka
I *am* a Dremel

metarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysismetarinka can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd
The waveguide on the tweeters looks very nice, albeit a little deep.

They look like good performers but at that price there are better options. You can grab some nice powered powered monitors like the Yamaha HS80 for that price.
quoted for truth, at that price you get into getting studio monitors. I would pick up a pair of KRK RP8's or the yamaha HS80m. Also at that point you should start thinking of room treatment. I know when I put my studio monitors in an untreated room I got a huge bass increase that absolutely killed the highs. it was like a 6+db gain.

here's where I would look http://studio-central.com/phpbb/view...739f14ed058afe powered monitors are what most studio guys use.
metarinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Apr 2011, 17:51   #20
Anfield
Hypermodder

Anfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming SaiyanAnfield is a Super Spamming Saiyan
From the review:
Quote:
elegant and understated, with a premium finish.
And then only a 7 for design?

Anyway, good to see Teufel pushing the limits of Pc Speakers, but above a certain price point your just better off connecting the PC to a Hifi and not bother with separate speakers for the Pc.
Anfield is offline   Reply With Quote