bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 31st May 2012, 19:00   #81
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Every time I look at the side panel mounting method I want to do that reminds me of how nice & easy they mount on/off, could do it 1 handed on my old Lian-Li, my favorite panel mount method when done right like this.

And cheaps fix is so true, original version & fixed version.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2012, 05:07   #82
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Spotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another router template was made to cutout the areas for the PSUs out of the back sheet. A guide was clamped to the bottom of the template to keep the cutouts perfectly aligned along the bottom.

Spotswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2012, 14:39   #83
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Nicely done & all these jigs you make, do you keep them aside labelled for future use to make things quicker?.
Old 4th Jun 2012, 20:14   #84
Furball Zen
Shut up and Mod

Furball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run CrysisFurball Zen can run Crysis
Its amazing the n00bs who cant figure out that this is not his case lol.

Guides: Modular PSU ~ FC foam removal Mods: Blue on Black ~ DVD-ROM Worklog: Acronymus ~ Carbide

@furballzen ~ Admin at Xoxide Forums
Furball Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2012, 17:44   #85
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Spotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the DremelSpotswood has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynio View Post
Nicely done & all these jigs you make, do you keep them aside labelled for future use to make things quicker?.
Yes, usually I will save and re-use templates. But in this situation I could make the opening larger (because of the extra room) to avoid having to square-off the corners.
Old 6th Jun 2012, 19:02   #86
Mosquito
Hypermodder

Mosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run CrysisMosquito can run Crysis
I'm quite glad to see this going again :-)

Can I ask what speed you use with the router? I have two routers, one variable speed, and one non, and I was thinking about using the non-variable speed one for this.

And if I could also ask what bits you use? (You said 3/16" and 1/4" down cut spiral, but I was wondering about brand)

Last edited by Mosquito; 6th Jun 2012 at 19:13.
Mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2012, 14:17   #87
bluc
Supermodder

bluc has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Awesome stuff amazing craftsmanship and great work with the router. I have not been brave enough yet to run a router through aluminium.
Old 8th Jun 2012, 17:22   #88
kinghong1970
Just a Clumsy Ape

kinghong1970 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
I'm quite glad to see this going again :-)

Can I ask what speed you use with the router? I have two routers, one variable speed, and one non, and I was thinking about using the non-variable speed one for this.

And if I could also ask what bits you use? (You said 3/16" and 1/4" down cut spiral, but I was wondering about brand)
and do you use any lubrication?
kinghong1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2012, 17:52   #89
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Rich pointed this beauty out to me when asking him some other time, not sure if he got around to getting it yet though, looks excellent for routers.
http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID.htm
Old 11th Jun 2012, 11:15   #90
jeckulz
Supermodder

jeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youjeckulz - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Aaaaaawww yeaahhh.

Superb work to now man, keep it up, you got a sub!
jeckulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2012, 02:36   #91
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Turned out that I needed to cut one more slot out of the bottom shelf. But the last time I used my wooden "small slot" router template, I somehow managed to crush one edge, so I quickly cobbled together a new out of some left over t-slot extrusion. I'm really loving using these t-slot extrusions to make router templates - fast and accurate!

Here's a teeth-shattering video of me cutting out the slot:

Last edited by Spotswood; 19th Aug 2012 at 02:42.
Old 20th Aug 2012, 10:47   #92
matt...
Slacker

matt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmatt... has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This looks like it will be awesome!

But seriously, 3 x 140x4 radiators and 1 140x3 radiator - are you trying to cool Africa??!?
Old 21st Aug 2012, 03:17   #93
SpleenBeGone
What's a Dremel?

SpleenBeGone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I love how elegantly simple your construction methods are.
SpleenBeGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2012, 04:04   #94
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpleenBeGone View Post
I love how elegantly simple your construction methods are.
Wow! That's one of the nicest compliments I've ever received. Thanks!

One of my motivations for publishing a build log is to convey how relatively easy it is to craft a case out of aluminum. Seriously, all you need to invest in are a drill press, a router, and some hand tools. (Unless your Attila, in which case, all you need is a hand file).
Old 21st Aug 2012, 22:07   #95
SpleenBeGone
What's a Dremel?

I've actually been considering making a case for a while, but for some reason it never occurred to me that I could cut the aluminum with my router. The way to get nice clean cuts like that was always the biggest drawback for me, as I never had access to a CNC, and dremel and nibbler cuts look bad IMO. When I build a new rig, I'll be making a custom case as well using your method, and will be following your threads for more tips.

Edit - Also, where did you get that self centering vice? I could get so much use out of one of those for all my projects.
Old 21st Aug 2012, 22:45   #96
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpleenBeGone View Post

Edit - Also, where did you get that self centering vice? I could get so much use out of one of those for all my projects.
I got the vice from Grizzly. And is of better quality than most other tools from that site.

Yeah, you'd have to kill me in order to take away my vice.
Old 21st Aug 2012, 22:51   #97
SpleenBeGone
What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link, I'll be ordering one of those.
Old 10th Sep 2012, 03:14   #98
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Performed the mind-numbing task of fastening the bottom and top sheets to the case frame via flat head socket cap screws. Through and countersink holes were drilled into the sheet and transferred to the case frame via a self-centering counterbore drill bit.

Bottom sheet all fastened:

And top sheet all drilled out:

Old 10th Sep 2012, 20:52   #99
FatPandas
Minimodder

FatPandas has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotswood View Post
...four PEM cinch nuts were pressed into the interior side of the .10-inch thick aluminum sheet. I love these nuts because they make quick work out of adding some threads to sheet metal.
Ah - that's what they're called. Cheers man, you saved me a lotta headache
FatPandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Nov 2012, 05:56   #100
Spotswood
Custom PC case builder

Drilled out the holes for the vandal resistant switches and fastened the front sheeting to the case.

View Mode