bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Apr 2011, 13:50   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
Sony finally enters tablet market

Sony unveils two forthcoming tablet designs, both based on Andriod 3.0.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ablet-market/1
Old 26th Apr 2011, 14:06   #2
Th3Maverick
Multimodder

Th3Maverick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
S2 should be bezel-less between the screens; even with a thin bezel, it seems gimmicky and like it would be frustrating to use. Seriously, anyone with more technical prowess than I in this subject: Why is it so damn hard in 2011 to make thin-to-nonexistent bezels?
Old 26th Apr 2011, 14:08   #3
memeroot
aged and experianced

memeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmemeroot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
not convinced - sorry
memeroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 14:13   #4
SpAceman
Supermodder

SpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSpAceman is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Looks good. How much handling before its completely covered with fingerprints?
SpAceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 14:14   #5
Yemerich
I can has PERSUADETRON?

Yemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitYemerich is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
The folding one is ugly as heck!
But I really like Sony's design, so lets hope this one will be ditched!
Hades (Best advanced casemod design CP-Brazil 2010)

Take a look on my projects here.
Yemerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 14:50   #6
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
The SR2 looks good. Like something to pop in your pocket with more grunt than a smartphone, but it'll cost a small fortune like that ultra portable pc they made a year or so back.

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 14:59   #7
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So out of curiosity (not Qqriocity mind you), since the playstation suite is going to be available on it, an andriod tab (I assume Honeycomb, or a future flavor of honeycomb), does that mean the playstation suite is going to be accessible on other andriod tabs? Either open or hack?

The S1 is interesting, but I need price and specs to know if I should be really interested, or just be happy/hope that I might be able to access the playstation suite on a different android tab.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 15:43   #8
JCBeastie
Supermodder

JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.JCBeastie is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What's the point in tablets again?

Playing games and watching movies seems to be it.
JCBeastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:01   #9
ObeyTheCreed
Minimodder

ObeyTheCreed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBeastie
What's the point in tablets again?

Playing games and watching movies seems to be it.
I agree, there doesn't really seem to be a point in tablets, if you want to watch a movie sure they are useful but other than that, everything done on a tablet can be done on a console and with a lot better graphics too.
ObeyTheCreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:17   #10
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagib
The SR2 looks good. Like something to pop in your pocket with more grunt than a smartphone, but it'll cost a small fortune like that ultra portable pc they made a year or so back.
Just what I was thinking.

If it's slim and light enough to comfortably fit into a jacket pocket, I could see massive potential for that.
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:25   #11
enikmaster
Minimodder

enikmaster has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I like the S1's design. I don't like de S2. Just another two gadgets in the market...
enikmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:28   #12
FelixTech
Robot

FelixTech has yet to learn the way of the DremelFelixTech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Maverick
S2 should be bezel-less between the screens; even with a thin bezel, it seems gimmicky and like it would be frustrating to use. Seriously, anyone with more technical prowess than I in this subject: Why is it so damn hard in 2011 to make thin-to-nonexistent bezels?
I don't think the whole bezel is the problem - just the bit of bezel between the two screens. Although that might encourage you to use it as a single screen and maybe that isn't the best way to use it...
Old 26th Apr 2011, 20:28   #13
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Certainly won't be picking one up for myself, but hurrah for clamshells! Being able to make a tablet half as wide and twice and thick when stored really helps portability.

Every day I start taking back my questions of just what purpose a tablet would have. Being away from my computer for four days but in constant wi-fi access revealed exactly how useful a mobile internet access device would be. Being able to fold one up and drop it in a pocket would be great. Folding iPad please.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 21:10   #14
Eggy
Multimodder

Eggy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Another tablet, personally I find them the most useless pieces of equipment around. They don't do anything really well. My girlfriend however uses it all the time and they sell like hotcakes. So the problem might just be me.
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 21:21   #15
lamboman
I *am* a Dremel

lamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremellamboman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I can see the market, as they are fantastic for browsing and movies. However, with smartphones being as popular as ever...a tablet isn't worth the buy. I'm sure that we can all survive without a huge screen for an hour or two...
lamboman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 21:52   #16
supermonkey
Deal with it

supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.supermonkey is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyTheCreed View Post
I agree, there doesn't really seem to be a point in tablets, if you want to watch a movie sure they are useful but other than that, everything done on a tablet can be done on a console and with a lot better graphics too.
So when I'm sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight to board, I'll be sure to whip out my PS3 to do some hardcore gaming. And yes, before the rest of the crowd jumps in I realize you can also play games and watch movies on a laptop. With the amount of traveling I do, it's been my experience that small portable devices are great for short trips, and laptops often end up being bulky and more than I care to lug around.

As has been said before, if you can't see the point of a tablet device, then you obviously don't have a need for one. Other people just might have a legitimate use for a tablet, and their needs shouldn't matter to you at all.

But of bliss and of glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
supermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 22:51   #17
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey View Post
So when I'm sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight to board, I'll be sure to whip out my PS3 to do some hardcore gaming. And yes, before the rest of the crowd jumps in I realize you can also play games and watch movies on a laptop. With the amount of traveling I do, it's been my experience that small portable devices are great for short trips, and laptops often end up being bulky and more than I care to lug around.

As has been said before, if you can't see the point of a tablet device, then you obviously don't have a need for one. Other people just might have a legitimate use for a tablet, and their needs shouldn't matter to you at all.

I've actually seen a family pull out a PS3 and ~19" TV for an hour long ferry ride. You'd be amazed by some people. I'm just hoping they were drive-on passengers and not walk-on!

What's kept me from getting a laptop is that it's not truly mobile. Not only is it still fairly heavy and bulky, but it also has to be setup to some degree. The actual use of a laptop is stationary as it requires sitting down to operate, with some exceptions. A smartphone/tablet on the other hand can be used on the go, and even if you choose to sit while using one you can stand up and go at any time.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 23:48   #18
leveller
Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

leveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleveller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I am convinced by tablets.

However, I see no room for the S2. It looks impractical and bulky for what it is. The S1 is more mainstream and will no doubt appeal to Sony's fan base in some way. All my TVs are Sony's but the iPad2 ticks all my boxes very nicely so there is no room for an S1. The ability to play first-gen Playstation games really doesn't do it for me either.
leveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:57   #19
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
I've got no use for them as they are. Perhaps in 5 - 10 years when they are lighter and have some real grunt I'll want one. Until then they are just fluff.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 13:01   #20
Fod
what is the cheesecake?

Fod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run CrysisFod can run Crysis
What's this? A new pair of tablets from Sony, heavily dependent on the PlayStation Network? Released amidst one of the biggest data thefts ever, under Sony's watch, who were storing passwords and (one can only assume since they are "unsure") credit card details in plain text?

Yes, I think these will sell well.