bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:08   #1
arcticstoat
Who is the Milkman?

arcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysisarcticstoat can run Crysis
PlayStation Network outage to last indefinitely

Sony has to almost entirely rebuild the system, which will take time.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...indefinitely/1
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:12   #2
Jamie
ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Jamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the DremelJamie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Glad I managed to unlock my Steam version of Portal 2 before it was shutdown. At least I can play co-op on the PC until this is sorted.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:13   #3
thefriscokid
why s**t so crazy?

thefriscokid has yet to learn the way of the Dremelthefriscokid has yet to learn the way of the Dremelthefriscokid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...ecom_the_real/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...es-playstation
i5 2500K | 8 GB Corsair Vengence | MSI GTX560TI | Asus P8P67 Pro B3 | Crucial M4 64 GB SSD | 2x Samsung F3 1TB | Antec TP 750W | Lian Li A05 | Win 7 Pro 64-Bit | Logitech Z-5500 5.1 THX | Filco Ninja TKL | Razer DeathAdder | Dell U2410M | Senn PC360
battlelog: thefriscokid - bf3s - xbox live: JAS82
thefriscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:41   #4
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Hilarious.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:45   #5
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Console players should be punished.

In all seriousness, this is a good example of why "call in" copy protection should NEVER be used.

Yours in PC Gaming Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:47   #6
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This is precisely the reason why you shouldn't use a USB stick as a backup. Amateurs.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:52   #7
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony didn't listen to the outrage back when they filed a lawsuit against George “GeoHot” Hotz. Now Sony got punished for playing it hard.
So this wasn't quiet unexpected and actually announced long ago to happen by anonymous.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:54   #8
.//TuNdRa
Resident Bulldozer Guru

.//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat..//TuNdRa is definitely a rep cheat.
Had this been a PC based system, it would've been crucified. Why do I think this is going to be let slide because Sony is attempting to blame it on everyone else?

Hell, look at Ubisoft's DRM, that was torn apart for valid reasons, yet this is allowed to toddle off just because it's a console.

I miss the days of my PS2 and it's internet-free DRM system.
Dozy Beast: AMD FX8120 | Thermalright Archon | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance LP | Asus Xonar DX/XD | 2X SLI KFA2 550Ti White Edition | Silverstone SSTG1000W | Silverstone Raven RV-02B V1.7 | OCZ Agility 3 60GB | 2x WD 3TB RED RAID0 | Lite-on Blu-ray ROM
Dell U2913WM | Sennheiser HD 485s | Creative Gigaworks T40s | Logitech G13 | Microsoft Sidewinder X6 | Cyborg R.A.T 9
.//TuNdRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 16:58   #9
Mighty Yoshimi
Motormouth

Mighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I've got a PS3. I play it online quite a bit. I don't really care that PSN is offline, Life goes on. Although if PSN has been hacked then those responsible should be punished by the full force of the law.

*Waits for all the "Well Sony deserved it" comments
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:00   #10
gavomatic57
I Mod, Therefore I Own

gavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremelgavomatic57 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The word "indefinitely" does mean "an undefined period of time" and without an end date, this is indeed the case. However, it is usually thrown about as another way of saying "forever", such as "this person was jailed indefinitely". There is no permanence in this case, yet this article fails to quote the 2nd paragraph which says they are working to get things back online quickly. They are also careful to not use the word "indefinite" anywhere in the post, they just said they don't have a timeframe yet.

The outage is inconvenient, but I'd rather they got it sorted properly. Portal 2 co-op will just have to wait.
gavomatic57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:09   #11
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
Has this got anything to do with anonymous?
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Logitech G19 - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:13   #12
Picarro
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Picarro is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I wonder what they did to the system to make it fail so miserably? You would have thought Sony would have a backup in place ..
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 5gHz -:- Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 -:- 2x4 gbCorsair Vengeance 1,5v 1600mHz -:- Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 670 -:- Crucial M4 128 gb -:- Samsung F3 Spinpoint 640 gb -:- Corsair H60 with 2x Gentle Typhoon 1850 in push-pull -:- Corsair HX650 -:- Lian Li A05FN -:- Dell U2410 flanked by 2x Dell U2001FP -:- BenQ W1000+ -:-
Picarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:14   #13
Eiffie
Supermodder

Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Eiffie is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I'm sure the service will be back up in the next week or two. A few more days and it might just break the x-box record for downtime. At least the sun is shining and the beaches are nice this time of year. Get outside, air out your man-cave and try back in a week, if it's still not up, repeat the process. The games sure ain't going anywhere.
I5-750 @ 4GHz - MSI P55-GD65 - 8GB Crucial DDR3 1600 - EVGA GTX 680 2GB - 1 Western Digital Black 1TB - 2 Western Digital Green 2TB - 700W Silverstone PSU - H50 Water Cooling Unit - Win7 64-Bit - Logitech G400 - Cooler Master QuickFire Pro MX Brown - Steelseries Icemat V2 - Blue Microphone Snowball - Logitech C920 Webcam
Eiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:15   #14
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Yoshimi View Post
I've got a PS3. I play it online quite a bit. I don't really care that PSN is offline, Life goes on. Although if PSN has been hacked then those responsible should be punished by the full force of the law.

Yes, Sony deserved it in regard to their actions taken against GeoHot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deders View Post
Yes, it's the payback for the lawsuit against GeoHot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro View Post
I wonder what they did to the system to make it fail so miserably? You would have thought Sony would have a backup in place ..
Sony needs to develop new mechanisms to prevent this to happen again, now that the attackers know how to shut down the system.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:16   #15
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Anyone else thinking anonymous' threat and this are a little too coincidental?
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:16   #16
Mighty Yoshimi
Motormouth

Mighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMighty Yoshimi is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Quote:

Yes, Sony deserved it in regard to their actions taken against GeoHot.

Quote:
Yes, it's the payback for the lawsuit against GeoHot.
No he broke the law. So Sony was correct.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:18   #17
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
They've denied any involvement, and Sony haven't blamed them for it either.

Everyone just seems to have assumed they are to blame since they said they were going to target Sony, but it doesn't make sense as they said they would not do anything that directly harmed or affected consumers, which is obviously what is happening now the PSN has been down for nearly a week.

I'm more inclined to believe the above explanation that it's due to people exploiting the Rebug firmware to access items from the PSN store for free.
Other stuff I own: [BenQ XL2411T/Dell 2407WFP] - [Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth] - [Zowie FK] - [Sennheiser HD800] - [Audez'e LCD2 rev. 2] - [Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies] - [Philips 46PFL9705H] - [Onkyo TX-NR515] - [B&W 685]

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:21   #18
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I wouldn't say this is so much of a punishment of Sony, but screwing 75 million users. This is the big reason I disliked Anon going after PSN to begin with. It might hurt Sony, but its like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Who gets punished more, a multi billion dollar corporation, or the millions of people who use their service and "rely" on it for their gaming? I think the later gets nailed a lot worse than the corporation that might have to deal with a few million in losses.

I whole heartdly agree that this is one of the big reasons why I am vehemently against online copy protection. One time activation is one thing, but DRM that requires a constant connection to play just frankly sucks. If you connection goes down you can't play it, if the servers go down you can't play it. Especially for single player only games or ones where there IS single player it sucks. Online only games it makes sense, because frankly, you have to have the servers up or an internet connection to play anyway.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:22   #19
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis
I don't buy the redbug reason is sony really going to lose more money from a handful of hackers pirating games than it will/has from shutting down their entire network not even counting the reputation damage.

Quote:
No he broke the law. So Sony was correct.
Technically he didn't break any law at most he violated the ToS which would be a civil case.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 17:24   #20
BioSniper
I Mod, Therefore I Own

BioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the DremelBioSniper has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
It's a Peter Griffin moment.. Hhhehhehhehhehehheheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Frankly this thread has become a bunch of methed up old women in a hat store.
BioSniper is offline   Reply With Quote