bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 26th Apr 2011, 22:31   #1
Plugs
Supermodder

Plugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for president
PSN Users: READ THIS

Bit-tech Story: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-compromised/1

The truth about the extent of the PSN outage comes to light...

Quote:
Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/...ervice-update/

Last edited by CardJoe; 27th Apr 2011 at 11:32. Reason: to keep things tidy - +rep
Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 22:35   #2
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
Haha makes sense given the length of the outage.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 22:56   #3
smc8788
potato

smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.smc8788 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Oh great
Other stuff I own: [BenQ XL2411T/Dell 2407WFP] - [Razer Blackwidow Tournament Stealth] - [Zowie FK] - [Sennheiser HD800] - [Audez'e LCD2 rev. 2] - [Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies] - [Philips 46PFL9705H] - [Onkyo TX-NR515] - [B&W 685]

[Steam] - [Battlelog]
smc8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 23:14   #4
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Somehow i expect a nice big class action lawsuit against Sony in near future.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 23:26   #5
dave_salmon
Supermodder

dave_salmon has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldave_salmon has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldave_salmon has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldave_salmon has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldave_salmon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just spotted THIS on ARS.
dave_salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2011, 23:53   #6
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Holy christ that's an epic fail. Thanks Sony.
Old 26th Apr 2011, 23:58   #7
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_salmon View Post
Just spotted THIS on ARS.
Quote:
To be fair, Sony does apologize for the inconvenience.
You just feel like saying piss off. Inconvenience? No. They lost all our personal information. I mean it's Sony, one of the top electrical companies in the world.
Pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:00   #8
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
Holy christ that's an epic fail. Thanks Sony.
Thanks hackers.

Who's to say it wouldn't have happened just the same with a system like XBL or, God help us, Steam. History has shown many times that security systems aren't perfect (I'm sure MS wishes this were so, no more service packs or updates!), just a few months ago it was some network of websites that had its user account information hacked into.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:07   #9
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Pieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPieface is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
LOL at the comments though.

Quote:
The more i read about this, the more it confirms my theories that this was done by people who hates Sony and who want their customers to leave them to turn to for example Xbox instead. I’d like to call them Xbox fans jealous of the free services of PSN, but who knows if we’ll ever find out the truth.

In other words, those who feel like they are at cross-roads right now; don’t let these *******s win! Stay with Sony and show them that things like these won’t make us forget all the good that Sony has given us in the past.
Damn you Xbox!!!! ****ing moron.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:12   #10
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieface View Post
LOL at the comments though.

Damn you Xbox!!!! ****ing moron.
Get out the tinfoil hats ladies and gentlemen!

I'm just waiting for someone to go say it was Microsoft or Nintendo who did it.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:14   #11
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Thanks hackers.

Who's to say it wouldn't have happened just the same with a system like XBL or, God help us, Steam. History has shown many times that security systems aren't perfect (I'm sure MS wishes this were so, no more service packs or updates!), just a few months ago it was some network of websites that had its user account information hacked into.
Why wasn't the possibility of this considered when Sony knew full well that Dev firmware was out there? Surely someone should have twigged that this could happen? Hackers will be hackers, if there's a will there's a way and all that, but you've got to design a system to be robust enough to protect personal information.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:25   #12
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit View Post
Why wasn't the possibility of this considered when Sony knew full well that Dev firmware was out there? Surely someone should have twigged that this could happen? Hackers will be hackers, if there's a will there's a way and all that, but you've got to design a system to be robust enough to protect personal information.
I admittedly am not a software engineer, but I highly doubt it's that simple. If you could just throw money, time, and manpower at a problem until it's fixed then we'd already have a cure for every known disease and advanced space travel for getting humans to Mars simply by the sheer amounts of effort thrown at them. Software security seems to be a very similar field in that respect. Apply more resources and you'll have a higher chance of being secure, but there's no set guarantee such as "put in $10 billion and a team of 200 engineers and you'll be safe".

This outage certainly will not be good for Sony. It's just not good business for them to have been lazy on security, and you don't get a company to that size by using bad business.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:31   #13
Plugs
Supermodder

Plugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for presidentPlugs should be considered for president
i think its a case that developer consoles were completely trusted
if so, the main fail here is that sony shouldnt have had those "trusted" machines connected to the same network as the main psn
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:31   #14
Showerhead
Ultramodder

Showerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run CrysisShowerhead can run Crysis

I still get a laugh out of everyone around the internet believing it was anon or geohot as if there are no other crackers out there. That and the attack is unlike anything that anon do.
Showerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:48   #15
Pieface
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showerhead View Post

I still get a laugh out of everyone around the internet believing it was anon or geohot as if there are no other crackers out there. That and the attack is unlike anything that anon do.
Duh, did you not read my post earlier. It's obviously Xbox fanboys wanting to convert PS3 owners! There's no other reason!!!
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:54   #16
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As i said, this will end up as a class action lawsuit against Sony, where at least US PS3 owners will get a huge compensation and Sony will be happy if there won't be a investigation against them.

And this pretty much zeroes any profit Sony made from PS3, because the payments they will have to pay to users will be enormous.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 00:55   #17
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I haven't turned on my ps3 in forever. Will I lose MegaMan 9 ? (the only thing I ever bought on PSN)
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 01:07   #18
Plugs
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
I haven't turned on my ps3 in forever. Will I lose MegaMan 9 ? (the only thing I ever bought on PSN)
you wont lose games

but it is unknown if any credit card details you may have used have been taken

and all the psn info you might use for other accounts
Old 27th Apr 2011, 03:39   #19
outlawaol
Geeked since 1982

outlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysisoutlawaol can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plugs View Post
you wont lose games

but it is unknown if any credit card details you may have used have been taken

and all the psn info you might use for other accounts
This concerns me the most.

All I got to say is that Sony had better get their **** together...
Old 27th Apr 2011, 10:45   #20
logonui
Supermodder

logonui has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
No system that connects to the outside world is completely safe no matter how much time and money is spent securing it, anyone who has worked with windows in a technical sense is well aware of this!

It doesn't help that the recent sony lawsuits (regardless of what side of the fence you sit on) have probably made them a target.
logonui is offline   Reply With Quote