1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony defends PSN announcement delays

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Apr 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

I would say to anyone who has a credit card linked to the PSN to cancel it immediately and ask for a new card – just to be safe.

3. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

wow, that's complete crap.

If you were worried enough to shut the service down, you at least feared data may have been compromised else you wouldn't have done it, you still should of said;

"We have detected a external security breach of our systems, we do not know if any data was stolen but we advise you all to change your passwords and get replacement credit cards/ keep an eye on statements and we'll update you when we have further information"

It's not hard is it?

4. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

^ I agree. Now the hackers have had 7 days to play with your data. Nice of sony isn't it?

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

What is down right disgusting about this entire ordeal is that Sony didn't let their massive customer base know the moment they suspected there was a possibility of an intrusion - instead they waited for confirmation.

So, using Sony's logic, rather than risk a PR nightmare over what could end up being a false alarm, they waiting until they were sure it was a PR nightmare. Nice priorities.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Im pissed at the hackers but even more pissed at sony, that rather than being proactive to prevent breaches ie. constantly looking for them so they can be patched. Doesn't help tho if you go around pissing on everyone either.

7. cdb

cdb No comment

I'd say Sony were trying to cover it up before they had to let us know to save any embarrassment. I wouldn't trust Sony as far as I could throw them, but I still buy their products.:duh:

8. kempez

kempez modding again!

Cancelled all cards I could have used on PSN, changed all passwords that I have that match the PSN one (only 1 or 2). I'm pretty sure I've done all I can do, it's just a massive pita.

9. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

They should have just come forward and said 'we have been dicked, don’t know the extent of dickage, but as a precaution cancel your cards and change passwords.'

Just shows they don’t really care about the user base and only care about future sales.

If card information has been taken I expect we will start hearing stories of fraud and id theft.

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Ladies and Gentleman who are whining about Sony not stating this... Hindsight is always 20/20.

Get real, seriously. What if there hadn't been a breach and they'd told everyone there was? People would have changed cards, details, passwords EVERYTHING for nothing, right? Honestly... I'd have done this straight away as they did say "external interance" which means hacking.

Kinda funny that everyones jumping on Sony because they dared wait for confirmation. Get real.

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Not waiting for confirmation leads to far more problems and PR backlash then assuming and running with it only to find out otherwise.

How is it disgusting that Sony brought down the entire system once the breach was detected, informed the customer base that the system is currently down and then confirmed why it was down? I recall Sony being attacked just for suggesting (without confirmation) that there was a possible external intrustion because people assumed Sony was blaming anon. Now they are being attacked for not confirming fast enough for you (keep in mind the system has already been brought down to protect any further data being taken) that it was infact, an external intrustion.

Case in point...Sony did inform the customer base that there was a possible external intrustion after bringing the PSN down and that account data may have been taken. Folks were to busy riding the anon vs Sony bandwagon to care.

12. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

What a silly and very naïve post! As soon as Sony realised that user accounts may have been compromised, they should have announced this immediately – letting the customer decide on the best course of action for them.
    Would you write the same if it were your bank who had their files on customers hacked and stolen?

13. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

My password have been changed for my email etc.

Lets face it if the wanted it get in they would not matter what Sony do.

Why PSN and not the XPox Live? its microsoft and has more users
    Should stick with PC gaming.. as i do..lol

14. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

So, if you loose your credit card on a night out. Do you wait 7 days until you can go to the place you think you lost it and ask if someone handed it in or do you cancel it to be on the safe side?

Up to you, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.

15. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

If this is about the Sony Vs. George 'GeoHot' Hotz lawsuit, then it has now become personal with the consumer. The other thing is will Sony remove other features from the playstation3 in order to attempt to secure it.

Hurting Sony financially is one thing, but this has gone too far, can we trust Sony anymore? This has more implications than many of us thought....

16. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

No, it doesn't. If the security breech is serious enough that your immediate response is to shut down the entire system - then you inform your customers immediately what the worst case scenario is.

No false alarm/PR backlash is worse than hackers having a week head-start on 70 million identities.
    I think you misunderstood my post. What I described as 'disgusting' was not Sony's reaction of shutting down the entire system (which was in the best interest of everyone), but their tardiness and incredibly poor handling of their customers and the press. Sony PR said nothing because they hoped the investigation would conclude that nothing was stolen. They were very, very wrong and this is now just the beginning of what will probably end up being the biggest public shaming of a company mishandling personal information. It's going to get very ugly.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Correct.

18. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I heard they annouced it late so as not to effect their new Tablet release. Seems obvious, if the news had got out during that it would have been quite bad.

19. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Not really... I'm just someone who's not foolish enough to leave my details lurking attached to an account. Even my STEAM account doesn't have them saved. I mean the main reason in my eyes they didn't turn round and say, is because a) they didn't know they'd been compromised (jesus my spellings awful today) and b) could you imagine if they said it, then had to retract it? The media frenzy would be far, FAR worse than this has gotten.

Really? A company thinking about it's image over it's customers... who'd have thought eh?

See my previous comment.

Also, who the hell uses a credit card on these things... thats just asking for trouble.

Seems this could go in the direction of a gloriously illogical flamewar me thinks.

20. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

In other news Sony apologies for mistake, cold snap in hell and bacon on the wing becomes new delicacy.

BRAWL likes this.
Tags: Add Tags