bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:08   #1
CardJoe
Freelance Journalist
bit-tech Staff

CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.CardJoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sony defends PSN announcement delays

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ement-delays/1
CardJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:13   #2
chris66
Supermodder

chris66 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I would say to anyone who has a credit card linked to the PSN to cancel it immediately and ask for a new card – just to be safe.
Intel Core i7 2600K /Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 / Corsair Vengence 2x4G 1600/1536MB/2 x EVGA GTX 580/Corsair 850W-850AX PSU/ Crucial C300 256GB HDD/2TB ST32000641AS 64MB SATA3 6GB/s HDD/ 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI SATA3 HDD/Asus Zonar Essence STX souncard/Corsair 600T case/Corsair H70/Samsung BR drive/Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:14   #3
Tokukachi
Multimodder

Tokukachi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
wow, that's complete crap.

If you were worried enough to shut the service down, you at least feared data may have been compromised else you wouldn't have done it, you still should of said;

"We have detected a external security breach of our systems, we do not know if any data was stolen but we advise you all to change your passwords and get replacement credit cards/ keep an eye on statements and we'll update you when we have further information"

It's not hard is it?
Tokukachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:16   #4
Bad_cancer
Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Bad_cancer has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
^ I agree. Now the hackers have had 7 days to play with your data. Nice of sony isn't it?

Q9550 | Evga 790i ultra sli | 4gb Ram | 2x Gtx460 (1gb) | 1Tb storage | Icute titanium 750w |
Cold lava~MOTM Nominee May 2010.
Bad_cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:22   #5
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
What is down right disgusting about this entire ordeal is that Sony didn't let their massive customer base know the moment they suspected there was a possibility of an intrusion - instead they waited for confirmation.

So, using Sony's logic, rather than risk a PR nightmare over what could end up being a false alarm, they waiting until they were sure it was a PR nightmare. Nice priorities.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:41   #6
javaman
May irritate Eyes

javaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for presidentjavaman should be considered for president
Im pissed at the hackers but even more pissed at sony, that rather than being proactive to prevent breaches ie. constantly looking for them so they can be patched. Doesn't help tho if you go around pissing on everyone either.
javaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 11:42   #7
cdb
No comment

cdb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcdb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcdb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcdb has yet to learn the way of the Dremelcdb has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd say Sony were trying to cover it up before they had to let us know to save any embarrassment. I wouldn't trust Sony as far as I could throw them, but I still buy their products.
cdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:02   #8
kempez
modding again!

kempez has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cancelled all cards I could have used on PSN, changed all passwords that I have that match the PSN one (only 1 or 2). I'm pretty sure I've done all I can do, it's just a massive pita.
kempez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:15   #9
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
They should have just come forward and said 'we have been dicked, donít know the extent of dickage, but as a precaution cancel your cards and change passwords.'

Just shows they donít really care about the user base and only care about future sales.

If card information has been taken I expect we will start hearing stories of fraud and id theft.

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:23   #10
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.
Ladies and Gentleman who are whining about Sony not stating this... Hindsight is always 20/20.

Get real, seriously. What if there hadn't been a breach and they'd told everyone there was? People would have changed cards, details, passwords EVERYTHING for nothing, right? Honestly... I'd have done this straight away as they did say "external interance" which means hacking.

Kinda funny that everyones jumping on Sony because they dared wait for confirmation. Get real.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:26   #11
themax
Ultramodder

themax has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech View Post
What is down right disgusting about this entire ordeal is that Sony didn't let their massive customer base know the moment they suspected there was a possibility of an intrusion - instead they waited for confirmation.

So, using Sony's logic, rather than risk a PR nightmare over what could end up being a false alarm, they waiting until they were sure it was a PR nightmare. Nice priorities.
Not waiting for confirmation leads to far more problems and PR backlash then assuming and running with it only to find out otherwise.

How is it disgusting that Sony brought down the entire system once the breach was detected, informed the customer base that the system is currently down and then confirmed why it was down? I recall Sony being attacked just for suggesting (without confirmation) that there was a possible external intrustion because people assumed Sony was blaming anon. Now they are being attacked for not confirming fast enough for you (keep in mind the system has already been brought down to protect any further data being taken) that it was infact, an external intrustion.

Case in point...Sony did inform the customer base that there was a possible external intrustion after bringing the PSN down and that account data may have been taken. Folks were to busy riding the anon vs Sony bandwagon to care.
CoD4 Class "Ghost" - MP5 Silenced/ UAV Jammer/ Silent Step
Shhh be very very qwuiet....I'm hunting snipers....
themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:27   #12
chris66
Supermodder

chris66 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAWL View Post
Ladies and Gentleman who are whining about Sony not stating this... Hindsight is always 20/20.

Get real, seriously. What if there hadn't been a breach and they'd told everyone there was? People would have changed cards, details, passwords EVERYTHING for nothing, right? Honestly... I'd have done this straight away as they did say "external interance" which means hacking.

Kinda funny that everyones jumping on Sony because they dared wait for confirmation. Get real.
What a silly and very naÔve post! As soon as Sony realised that user accounts may have been compromised, they should have announced this immediately Ė letting the customer decide on the best course of action for them.
Would you write the same if it were your bank who had their files on customers hacked and stolen?
Intel Core i7 2600K /Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 / Corsair Vengence 2x4G 1600/1536MB/2 x EVGA GTX 580/Corsair 850W-850AX PSU/ Crucial C300 256GB HDD/2TB ST32000641AS 64MB SATA3 6GB/s HDD/ 2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI SATA3 HDD/Asus Zonar Essence STX souncard/Corsair 600T case/Corsair H70/Samsung BR drive/Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:28   #13
oatey4519
can't be arsed...

oatey4519 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
My password have been changed for my email etc.

Lets face it if the wanted it get in they would not matter what Sony do.

Why PSN and not the XPox Live? its microsoft and has more users
Should stick with PC gaming.. as i do..lol
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz EK HF Nickel Blocked - 8GB Corsair Vengeance RED - EVGA Z77 FTW - 120GB Corsair Force GT - 1TB Samsung F1 - 1TB Samsung F3 - EVGA GTX 660 FTW Sig2 3GB - EVGA GTX 470 x 2 - Coolermaster Silent Pro M1000 W - Corsair 800D - Dell 2209W 1920 x 1080 - ASUS Xonar Dx - Sennheiser PC350 Headphones - Saitek Keyboard & Logitech G9 Mouse
oatey4519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:29   #14
WarrenJ
Mod Master

WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WarrenJ is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAWL View Post

So, if you loose your credit card on a night out. Do you wait 7 days until you can go to the place you think you lost it and ask if someone handed it in or do you cancel it to be on the safe side?

Up to you, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.
WarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:40   #15
SNIPERMikeUK
Multimodder

SNIPERMikeUK has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If this is about the Sony Vs. George 'GeoHot' Hotz lawsuit, then it has now become personal with the consumer. The other thing is will Sony remove other features from the playstation3 in order to attempt to secure it.

Hurting Sony financially is one thing, but this has gone too far, can we trust Sony anymore? This has more implications than many of us thought....
Old 27th Apr 2011, 12:59   #16
NuTech
Mod Master

NuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run CrysisNuTech can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by themax View Post
Not waiting for confirmation leads to far more problems and PR backlash then assuming and running with it only to find out otherwise.
No, it doesn't. If the security breech is serious enough that your immediate response is to shut down the entire system - then you inform your customers immediately what the worst case scenario is.

No false alarm/PR backlash is worse than hackers having a week head-start on 70 million identities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themax View Post
How is it disgusting that Sony brought down the entire system once the breach was detected, informed the customer base that the system is currently down and then confirmed why it was down? I recall Sony being attacked just for suggesting (without confirmation) that there was a possible external intrustion because people assumed Sony was blaming anon. Now they are being attacked for not confirming fast enough for you (keep in mind the system has already been brought down to protect any further data being taken) that it was infact, an external intrustion.

Case in point...Sony did inform the customer base that there was a possible external intrustion after bringing the PSN down and that account data may have been taken. Folks were to busy riding the anon vs Sony bandwagon to care.
I think you misunderstood my post. What I described as 'disgusting' was not Sony's reaction of shutting down the entire system (which was in the best interest of everyone), but their tardiness and incredibly poor handling of their customers and the press. Sony PR said nothing because they hoped the investigation would conclude that nothing was stolen. They were very, very wrong and this is now just the beginning of what will probably end up being the biggest public shaming of a company mishandling personal information. It's going to get very ugly.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 13:20   #17
Fizzban
Man of Many Typos

Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.Fizzban is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech View Post
No, it doesn't. If the security breech is serious enough that your immediate response is to shut down the entire system - then you inform your customers immediately what the worst case scenario is.
Correct.

To win the battle, is to be prepared to die - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFlames View Post
Asking to pick between the main parties is like asking which testicle you want to be kicked in, you're gonna get kicked the nuts whoever you pick... Just have to hope whoever you pick aren't wearing steelies...
Fizzban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Apr 2011, 14:34   #18
maximus09
Forever n00b

maximus09 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I heard they annouced it late so as not to effect their new Tablet release. Seems obvious, if the news had got out during that it would have been quite bad.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 14:57   #19
BRAWL
Mod Master

BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.BRAWL is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
What a silly and very naÔve post! As soon as Sony realised that user accounts may have been compromised, they should have announced this immediately – letting the customer decide on the best course of action for them.
Would you write the same if it were your bank who had their files on customers hacked and stolen?
Not really... I'm just someone who's not foolish enough to leave my details lurking attached to an account. Even my STEAM account doesn't have them saved. I mean the main reason in my eyes they didn't turn round and say, is because a) they didn't know they'd been compromised (jesus my spellings awful today) and b) could you imagine if they said it, then had to retract it? The media frenzy would be far, FAR worse than this has gotten.

Really? A company thinking about it's image over it's customers... who'd have thought eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
So, if you loose your credit card on a night out. Do you wait 7 days until you can go to the place you think you lost it and ask if someone handed it in or do you cancel it to be on the safe side?

Up to you, but i'd rather be safe than sorry.
See my previous comment.

Also, who the hell uses a credit card on these things... thats just asking for trouble.

Seems this could go in the direction of a gloriously illogical flamewar me thinks.
Old 27th Apr 2011, 14:58   #20
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
In other news Sony apologies for mistake, cold snap in hell and bacon on the wing becomes new delicacy.